Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How did WW II start?

• 10-09-2009 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Well we all know that, don't we?

Germany invaded Poland. UK and France had promised to defend it and hey presto, WWII. But wait...
    In September 1939 the world plunged into the most violent conflict in its history. But to understand why, argues Niall Ferguson, we need to look beyond the familiar story of Hitler's rise to power...

Very interesting read that contextualises the war and it's origins and debunks a few myths.

And since we're in a WWII mood have you ever heard of WunderWaffe? Some of them were obviously white elephants (the giant tanks for example) but a V3 capable of delivering a biological warhead into Manhattan? Even the jets - which saw active service late on - could have been decisive had they been brought in earlier. And some were just mad, Ted! Vortex gun anyone?

And lastly how can you mention WWII without mentioning Georgie Patton, probably the most quotable soldier of them all! I wonder what he would have said if he'd been offered a Wind Cannon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

The end of the war is also under debate. Some people claim that it didn't officaly end until as late as 1990, when east and west Germany were reunified and the country that started the war could be recognised as a country again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I can't get over how similar the Gotha bomber looks to the F117.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

The USA took all the German design's and made their own stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Certainly seems so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Pacha

theres a different angle on the ofiicial line
    in this clip from Zeitgeist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYztlGtoJZM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Nevore wrote: »
    I can't get over how similar the Gotha bomber looks to the F117.

It actually had some stealth properties as well.
    I watched a Discovery program where they rebuilt a model of it to 1/2 scale I think it was. They then tested it for anti radar properties and it showed some very advanced properties for it's time. Amazingly most of it was built with wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Yeah pretty interesting stuff, especially the "Anti-Gravity" device, think it was nicknamed the bell afterwoods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

The origins of WW 11 were rooted in the 'settlement' imposed upon the Germasn people after WW1.
    The entry of America into WW11 in 1942 - after Germany declared war on them for continued violation of their neutral status against German interests - hurried matters to a conclusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

TheManWho wrote: »
    The end of the war is also under debate. Some people claim that it didn't officaly end until as late as 1990, when east and west Germany were reunified and the country that started the war could be recognised as a country again.
    Also, West Berlin was technically under Allied occupation until 1990

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 declan46

994 wrote: »
    Also, West Berlin was technically under Allied occupation until 1990
    maybe so but most people see a war as ending when one side surrenders or an agrerementg on terms is reached between the parties involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kevrr

The original link to the article does not seem to be working, I found it at this site if anyone is looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

World War 2 started with the terms put on Germany after WW1, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

I think it was Spike Milligan who had the theory that WW2 was started by Vera Lynn's record company to push sales of her records. You'd just never know...

Advertisement