Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A question about eyesight for driving.

Options
  • 10-09-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

My license says that I require glasses, and I am going to do my test soon, but I never bothered getting glasses. Is it important that I get a pair. I think my sight is 100%, when I got my eyes tested, I was only outta bed and a little hazy anyway. Will he open up my license and look at this, or will he be satisfied with just the front and/or back?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You had an eye test that said you should wear glasses while driving, but you never bothered to get them?

You should get glasses and wear them at all times while driving. If you have an accident (which you are more likely to if you can't see properly) you may not be covered by your insurance.

You might think your eyesight is 100%, just as I might like to think I weigh 7 stone, but sadly your eye test result and my scales tell the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

:eek:

If ya weren't convinced ya should've gone to another opticians. The standard required is actually pretty low, some people who wear glasses in day to day life meet the standard without glasses so I' thinkin ya probably need em! And yeah, you'll prob fail your test for that, seriously get it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Four-Too wrote: »
    My license says that I require glasses
    Therefore an examiner will expect you to be wearing glasses for a test.

What you think is irrelevant. You may think that you are a great driver but that doesn't mean you should get a Certificate of Competency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Hi sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar question.
    When I got my first learners permit I wore glasses. I have since had laser surgery and my vision is perfect. Now I will be renewing my permit before I get around to doing the test. Do I need to get my next permit changed or can I just continue with my permit saying I need glasses. I imagine people would just assume I'm wearing contacts.

Deadeyes wrote: »
    Hi sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar question.
    When I got my first learners permit I wore glasses. I have since had laser surgery and my vision is perfect. Now I will be renewing my permit before I get around to doing the test. Do I need to get my next permit changed or can I just continue with my permit saying I need glasses. I imagine people would just assume I'm wearing contacts.

best thing to do is go to an opticians and complete the sight test, get them to sign and stamp the form to say you don't need glasses for driving. Then when you get the new permit, they can remove the restriction. I'm so jealous of your laser surgery btw!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

dearg lady wrote: »
    I'm so jealous of your laser surgery btw!!:D
    Me too, but a bit concerned by the username!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Four-Too wrote: »
    My license says that I require glasses, and I am going to do my test soon, but I never bothered getting glasses. Is it important that I get a pair. I think my sight is 100%, when I got my eyes tested, I was only outta bed and a little hazy anyway. Will he open up my license and look at this, or will he be satisfied with just the front and/or back?
    I'm supposed to wear glasses too, but I lost them ages ago. I found they messed up my periphery vision, so I didn't wear them driving although I was planning to route them out for the test just to be on the safe side. I got away with it in the end, sure if he said anything I could say I was wearing contacts, they can't actually test you since they're not opticians.

Now don't, under any circumstances, take this to mean "ahh go on and drive without them, you'll be grand." That'd just be stupid. All I'm saying is that I was OK, never got checked. It's your business whether or not to copy me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

actually, I have a question about this

I'm long sighted to the point where I can only get about halfway down the chart... HOWEVER in reality pretty much anything thats not tiny detail and is more than 2 meters away is in almost perfect focus. It's only for reading that I EVER have to wear them.... In fact, if I look up... I can't focus as the lens is too strong. Will I be expected to wear glasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Four-Too

Thanks for that yall. I'll report how it went in the other thread.

actually, I have a question about this

I'm long sighted to the point where I can only get about halfway down the chart... HOWEVER in reality pretty much anything thats not tiny detail and is more than 2 meters away is in almost perfect focus. It's only for reading that I EVER have to wear them.... In fact, if I look up... I can't focus as the lens is too strong. Will I be expected to wear glasses?

you HAVE to get an eyesight report from your opticians for your first learners permit no matter what, they'll tell you if you need glasses for driving or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

dearg lady wrote: »
    best thing to do is go to an opticians and complete the sight test, get them to sign and stamp the form to say you don't need glasses for driving. Then when you get the new permit, they can remove the restriction. I'm so jealous of your laser surgery btw!!:D

Your right that is probably the safest thing to do. As for the surgery took me ages to get up the courage, now my only regret is not getting it done years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

I got stopped by a Garda once, he wanted to know why I'd no glasses on. I told him I have contacts, and he said "I don't care who you know, you have to wear your glasses!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Richie15 wrote: »
    I told him I have contacts, and he said "I don't care who you know"
    LOL Brilliant! :D

Advertisement