Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SeptemberFest 2009

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It wasnt bad last year - I wanted to taste everything, but had the car with me! If you can leave it at home and enjoy yourself! ditto for children, its not of great interest to them.
    Definitely worth a trip for adults!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Gaspode wrote: »
    If you can leave it at home and enjoy yourself! ditto for children, its not of great interest to them.
    Definitely worth a trip for adults!

I though it was a good day out for family's, any way Irish craft brewers will have a stand there this year:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

so just to confirm,is the drink free?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,017 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

oh well....
    still worth a visit though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Bit more info..
    Subject: SeptemberFest, 12 & 13 September, Farmleigh
    Hello all,

A quick mail to let you all know about a great FREE drinks festival coming up in Dublin. It's called SeptemberFest and this is its second year. It will take place in Farmleigh, Phoenix Park, on Saturday 12th and Sunday 13th September, from 11.30am to 6.30 pm each day.

All the drinks companies are independent Irish producers who make their drinks here in Ireland; some of these you may have heard of (The Porterhouse, Messrs Maguire perhaps?) but others which are less well known such as (Galway Hooker and White Gypsy). There'll be cider, whiskey, liqueurs, mead and even Poitín there too in case beer is not your thing and delicious Irish apple juice if you're not a drinker (or if you're under 18).

Lots of food will be on offer, all from artisan producers, with crepes, burgers, hot dogs, ice creams, pies, tea & coffee all on site..There’ll also be lots of Irish farmhouse cheese in the beer tent...and if all that isn't enough then you can always pop across to the Food Market which is also on at Farmleigh that weekend. You will not go hungry..!

There'll be plenty of entertainment for all the family including a variety of bands and musicians, circus acts and street performers. And there'll also be related talks on both days including cocktail-making sessions from the Bartenders Association of Ireland, Guided Cider tasting and talks on Irish beer and whiskey.
    And, embracing these recessionary times, the Irish Craft Brewers (many of them passionate home-brewers) will be present for the duration of the event to demonstrate the brewing process...so you can learn lots too!

All in all, it should be a great day out ..And it's all free. so I really hope you'll come along and please do pass this on to all your friends and tell them to come too!

I attach a copy of the poster for the event and information is also available online on www.bordbia.ie/septemberFest (this will be updated with the entertainment and talks programme in the run up to the event).
    You can also invite friends to come via Facebook (Bord Bia- Irish Food Board page) http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.php?eid=240009540197&ref=mf

I hope to see you all there!

By the way, if anyone has anywhere they could put a poster up for the event (workplace, club, local shops and bars etc.) then please let me know as I will happily send printed posters out to you. (Our advertising budget is non existent so all help much appreciated)

Cheers!!!

Stephanie

PS: If you're not in Dublin that weekend then perhaps you could forward this to any friends who might be? Thanks Folks!!!

Stephanie Moe
    Sector Manager Grocery & Beverage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

As far as I remember you got a plastic cup (can't remember if you paid for this or not - think it was 1.50 if it was charged for) and then you paid 3 euro for every drink. Your plastic cup was refilled at all the different stands.

Enii wrote: »
    As far as I remember you got a plastic cup (can't remember if you paid for this or not - think it was 1.50 if it was charged for) and then you paid 3 euro for every drink. Your plastic cup was refilled at all the different stands.

Yep, stand method at most beer festivals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Frogy

We went along this afternoon. Very busy but lovely atmosphere. Could not
    get near the beer tent. Someone said a half hour wait to be served. Am sure the lovely weather had alot to do with it. If you are heading tomorrow I would suggest bringing a blanket and a picnic ( with a bottle of wine) and just enjoy the buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Frogy wrote: »
    We went along this afternoon. Very busy but lovely atmosphere. Could not
    get near the beer tent. Someone said a half hour wait to be served. Am sure the lovely weather had alot to do with it. If you are heading tomorrow I would suggest bringing a blanket and a picnic ( with a bottle of wine) and just enjoy the buzz.

Cool

Thanks froggy, thinking of heading there tomorrow

• Advertisement

Went down this afternoon fantastic and no where as busy as yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Saturday was fairly nuts alright, ridiculous queues for both the beer and food. It was a but annoying with the beer though as you didn't really know what beer you were queueing for so couldn't really sample the variety they had, and alot of the food places had ran out of certain stock by 4 o'clock or so. Having said that I'm pretty sure everybody was surprised with the turn out due to the great weather we had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I thought it was really badly organised. Overall it was a decent day with decent weather but I spent the first hour standing in a queue for a pint. 4 of us went and 4 of us had to go into different queues. Can the Irish not even organise a piss up at a beer festival?

The free whiskey tasting was welcomed though .. I felt that the next morning.

Overall I wish we had more things like this ... overall it was worth going to.

I took some photos too. You can find them here.

These photos show off the queues .. god they were awful and the heat in the tent was worse.

12092009537%20%28Small%29.jpg
    12092009538%20%28Small%29.jpg
    12092009540%20%28Small%29.jpg

These ones show what a day it was though and what a turn out .. nice one!

12092009545%20%28Small%29.jpg
    12092009546%20%28Small%29.jpg
    12092009547%20%28Small%29.jpg

And these lads deserved some credit ..

12092009548%20%28Small%29.jpg

Random wrote: »
    I thought it was really badly organised. Overall it was a decent day with decent weather but I spent the first hour standing in a queue for a pint. 4 of us went and 4 of us had to go into different queues.

In fairness the weather had a massive effect in drawing in much more people that was planned for, but such events will succeed or failing in this country depending on the weather.

Queues where also slow as the brewers where serving, so they are more inclined to talking about their beer which probably slowed it down a bit. But it did make a refreshing change to be served by some who had a passion and know about what they where selling.
    Can the Irish not even organise a piss up at a beer festival?

I don't thing anyone involved was planing it along the line of a piss up for the masses

Wow, that's packed. I'm very glad I didnt get there this year. I'm not a big fan of large crowds, and I just dont do queueing. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I was it at it last year. The photos indicate it was the exact same set up just a lot more people this year........I guess the organisers will take this into account for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Overall I hope this event expands for next year with more than one tent. :)

amdublin wrote: »
    I was it at it last year. The photos indicate it was the exact same set up just a lot more people this year........I guess the organisers will take this into account for next year.
    Overall I hope this event expands for next year with more than one tent. :)

I am not sure the bar space will expand much as the brewers provided all the equipment and staff them self, so the bar space is limited. But an extra tent extension to allow more room, covered seating and spread out the bars would be a good idea give our Irish weather and how it can fill up.

Advertisement