Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert honours maths-how important is it

Options
  • 10-09-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

How important is leaving cert honours maths? I am currently in 5th year and finding it very hard and considering dropping to ordinary level. I am thinking about doing something with science when I am finished school ie pharmacology or something like that.Is honours maths important for third level courses?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

sael92 wrote: »
    How important is leaving cert honours maths? I am currently in 5th year and finding it very hard and considering dropping to ordinary level. I am thinking about doing something with science when I am finished school ie pharmacology or something like that.Is honours maths important for third level courses?
    If it's a specific requirement for the course you want to do then it's very important, vital in fact. However, if it's not a requirement drop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Mike Bassett

I dont know about the specific courses but if you check the prospectus or ask your guidance councelor they will be able to tell you. Honestly though if you dont pass maths(whatever level) for the leaving then you are screwed and if you are finding it really tough now then maybe you should drop to ordinary level as if nothing else it will take up too much time studying for honours meaning less time for other subjects. Seeing as you have only started 5th year maybe give it your best shot until christmas and then consult your teacher after your xmas exams about your prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

to take ucd as an example, for pharmacology and science you need an OB3 or HD3 in maths
    https://myucd.ucd.ie/admission/entry_ug.ezc

It's worth noting from the link above that there are courses in ucd (and other colleges) that you do not need to pass maths at all for.

If you did food science in UCD an OD3 in maths would do.

You can check out all entry requirements for all colleges on www.qualifax.ie and double check them with the college website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

If you are applying for any job later in life it can hurt you if you have a poor grade in ordinary level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

If you're struggling with it that much after just a week of 5th year then I'd say you should drop down immediatley. It gets progressively more difficult. In my opinion it's one of the subjects in Leaving cert that you need to be naturally good at to do well in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Unless it's a requirements, then you don't need it, and probably should consider dropping down if you're struggling with it. Otherwise it'll take up most of your time and your other subjects could suffer as a result.

Still, I think everyone struggles with higher maths for the first few weeks. I don't think anyone in my class had a clue what was going on until October! Maybe stick it out for another while and see if it starts to click.

Advertisement