Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Hubble Telescope Images

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Simply unbelievable.

hubble4a.jpg
    A clash among members of a famous galaxy quintet reveals an assortment of stars across a wide color range, from young blue stars to aging red stars.

This portrait of Stephan’s Quintet, also known as Hickson Compact Group 92, was taken by the new Wide Field Camera 3. Stephan’s Quintet, as the name implies, is a group of five galaxies. The name, however, is a bit of a misnomer. Studies have shown that group member NGC 7320, at upper left, is actually a foreground galaxy about seven times closer to Earth than the rest of the group.

I seriously can't get my head around some of this stuff,it's spectacular.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The space agencies really don't get enough funding. This type of stuff is absolutely incredible and I'd love to see more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Am I right in thinking that the image in the first post is an image of one of the universe's most incredible objects - a quasar powered by a supermassive black hole?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I could be wrong but I don't think it is. Usually a quasar has a thin stream of matter coming out of it. Like this:

http://rst.gsfc.nasa.gov/Sect20/h_accretion_disk_02.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats a Butterfly nebula, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NGC_6302

• Advertisement
Advertisement