Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I too old to go back to school?

Options
  • 10-09-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Im 21 did my leaving when i was 18 and at the time i couldnt of really cared less about it didnt do an ounce of study i was just happy to finally be done with school, after a year out i went to college last year but with only 200 points only course i could really get were ones i had no interest in did multimedia and i hated it, im thinking of going back to school now and repeating 6th yr but i think im too old becuase everyone else will be 17-18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

No you are never too old to go back to school...dont think that as you will only discourage yourself... You have made a bid decision by deciding on going back and congratulations... You can enrol this year or mayb contact a local school and see what stuff they are covering for the lc in 5th yr and try and do some home stdy to help build up your knowledge..

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

hmm thanks i just want some peoples opinions that i dont know personally on wheather i should or not, ive asked family and friends and they just give me mixed views some say do if ya want it wont be so bad while others tell me no no no dont go back worse decison ever ull be a laughing stock. ive already asked the principle of where i went to school about it all and she said she have no problem with me going back should i choose to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

You could wait about 2 years i think is it? and go back as a mature student either not to sure how all that works tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

You are defo not too old!Im 20 and Im going back this year.My boyfriend went back last year and he was 21 and there is also a girl I know going back this year and she is 21 too. It depends where you go.Im going back to the insitute cause there will be a good few older people in there.Do go back it will definitely be worth it.Im in the same boat as you.Didnt do a tap of work and i have already repeated and did the same thing.Jus finished year of college I hated cause it was only thing I could do and now Im going back to get a course I really want!!I would defo do it

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

It up to yourself...you would be going back to better yourself....any family member who tells you that you will be a laughing stock should be shot... I commend you on making this decision... You aren't the first or the last to go back and I would defo say go for it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

You can take your inspiration from this man

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3746101.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

li-evo7 wrote: »
    You are defo not too old!Im 20 and Im going back this year.My boyfriend went back last year and he was 21 and there is also a girl I know going back this year and she is 21 too. It depends where you go.Im going back to the insitute cause there will be a good few older people in there.Do go back it will definitely be worth it.Im in the same boat as you.Didnt do a tap of work and i have already repeated and did the same thing.Jus finished year of college I hated cause it was only thing I could do and now Im going back to get a course I really want!!I would defo do it
    thats awful reassursing, my age is the thing that im worried about cuz ill be 3 or even 4 years older than most others there, i have a friend too who is repeating in there already whos 19
    lasair wrote: »
    It up to yourself...you would be going back to better yourself....any family member who tells you that you will be a laughing stock should be shot... I commend you on making this decision... You aren't the first or the last to go back and I would defo say go for it..
    yeah i would be i plan on working hard too im setting myself a minimum goal of 300 points anything less wouldnt be worth the time and effort invole and i plan to do better than 300, n i guess ill have to go shoot my sister too:P

TheManWho wrote: »
    You can take your inspiration from this man

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3746101.stm
    ha ha ha, im not that bad, not yet anyway lol almost makes me feel better about myself:P

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

mr.noobie wrote: »
    Im 21 did my leaving when i was 18 and at the time i couldnt of really cared less about it didnt do an ounce of study i was just happy to finally be done with school, after a year out i went to college last year but with only 200 points only course i could really get were ones i had no interest in did multimedia and i hated it, im thinking of going back to school now and repeating 6th yr but i think im too old becuase everyone else will be 17-18
    im 22 next month and ive just repeated so no your not too old

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

My son had a 21 year old in his 6th year class last year, a chap who came back after a few years working. Didn't seem to be a bother; if anything he was seen as a bit of a hero to do it, very respected for making the decision and getting on with it.

Go for it, don't hesitate, you are older and know what you want and you obviously want to go back to school, so go and do it. You will do very well with such a positive attitude and any future employer will have the greatest of respect for a person who showed that he was willing to work hard for what he wanted.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Imagine how you will kick yourself in five years time if you didn't go back and give yourself another shot. Go for it, and the very best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

There is no such thing as been too old, my mam did her leaving again and she's in her 40's [ was in adult class] a few of my m8's are turning twenty and are repeating this year.If you want to repeat just do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

There was a twenty-eight-year-old repeating in our school last year (he was actually going out with a teacher which was...odd). It might be weird at first but after a couple of weeks no one will even notice that you're a bit older. You'll be grand, go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Swizz

mr.noobie wrote: »

Thats not too old. Youll only be 3 years older than the rest. Its horrible being back in school though. (Im a repeat)

Sometimes to move forward you have to take a step back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Hi there. If you feel really self conicous about your age you can always choose to repeat in a college/school that specalise in this such as Plunkett College, Rathmines collge ect. You would find all manner of ages and people in these centres. It may also be easier to study and concentrate as teachers will not be wasting time correcting the students.

There may be something to do with repeating at your age. Im not entirely sure but I remember hearing something about repeating at the age of 23? I think then your are considered a mature student and can apply for grants and things? These colleges would be able to inform you of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

There was a 24 or 25 eyar old that repeated in my school last year,she had qualifed in biochem before comming back to do medicine.

I saw a 40-50 year old malaysian man wearing a school uniform last week!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭loveroflight

From a teacher's point of view, I'd love to have you in the class. It's great example for the younger students. Would help them see the bigger picture!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

:eek:

They're watching us!

Advertisement