Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inner Wrist Tattoo Positioning

Options
  • 10-09-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I'm getting my first tattoo and want it on my inner wrist. The design I have picked is a kind of treble clef and is about 2 inches in length. Now I know the advice is to bend you hand up to see where the skin wrinkles and get the tattoo done below this, that's fine, makes sense.

My only fear is the rotation/twisting of my arm. Like if I look down at my wrist, I imagine the tatto will look dead centre, but if I move my arm to say, show someone in front of me my wrist, will that rotation end up making the tattoo look twisted and off centre? I'm finding it kind of hard to judge? Anyone have any experiences / opinions on it?.

Also, I feel my veins are quite close to my skin...they look it anyway?! Again, I assume this isn't going to be an issue given how many wrist tattoos there are there.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

An artist will of course sketch or transfer the image on to you before starting. Tis up to your eye to catch if it's off center.

Whatever you do don't rest your wrist on top of your other arm or on a table or chair. This will pull the skin to one side and throw it off completely!

I mean of course you cannot and will not get it spot on perfect. But once you're happy with it then fair play.

Good luck with it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Bend your wrist upwards and the rule is generally 1 inch above the crease nearest your elbow not below it.

The reason being is that it wont usually distort above this.

As for the veins--Not a hope of going that deep unless your tattooist is digging for gold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Ah cheers for that!! I'm quite sure the tattoo artist will be able to tell me all of this but I always like to know all the facts before I do something...like in case the tattoist suddenly suffers memory loss or something :P

Getting it done Saturday...if I don't chicken out first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yenwod wrote: »
    Getting it done Saturday...if I don't chicken out first

Where are you having it done?..

I'm booked into Stigmata tomorrow afternoon just in case you need a little moral support :p

(You won't chicken out - the noise of the machine is the worse bit).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I love the buzz of tattoo machines, it's soothing to me

• Advertisement

Where are you having it done?..

I'm booked into Stigmata tomorrow afternoon just in case you need a little moral support :p

(You won't chicken out - the noise of the machine is the worse bit).

Aw thanks, that would've been great, but I am going to Zulu on the Quays. The woman I booked my appointment with was really friendly so hoping they'll calm me plus I'm dragging my boyfriend along for hand squeezing :D

It's funny actually, I was flicking around TV last night and that Miami Ink show came on and there were people getting massive tattoos across their backs and legs etc and I had to laugh at myself for being worried about a wee little tattoo on my wrist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Will wrote: »
    I love the buzz of tattoo machines, it's soothing to me

I always liken them to angry little wasps ready to sting me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I like the sound as well, and the feeling (surprisingly). Inner wrist is meant to be super sore but I didn't find it too bad at all.

How did you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

koneko wrote: »
    Inner wrist is meant to be super sore

Its nothing of the sort. This idea floats around because its a very popular spot amongst 18 year old girls getting their first tattoo. They have no other tattoos to compare it with, and dare I say it, teen girls can be a bit dramatic....

That much is true, have heard it elsewhere too though.
    Saw a girl (20s) get a small star outline on her wrist when I was in before, followed by shrieking + tears :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

koneko wrote: »
    That much is true, have heard it elsewhere too though.
    Saw a girl (20s) get a small star outline on her wrist when I was in before, followed by shrieking + tears :o

once one of these rumours gains speed, people just repeat it like gospel

I have to say, there is no way the pain from a small outline is such that it merits shrieking, not even on a very painful spot. I wish people would reign that kind of carry on. I have all the pity in the worl for someone who is having a hard time, but that is uncalled for.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It sure didn't help her friend, who was about to get a tat as well :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭xxlilyxx

i got my 5th tattoo on my wrist and it wasnt sore at all, my most painful one was on my foot and then my back but the rest wasnt that bad.

anyway OP hope your tattoo turned out the way you wanted it too and everything went ok

Got the tattoo and all was good :D

It hurt a bit in certain spots but was definitely bearable especially since it was small enough and I could see the progress of it so knew how long more it was going to take.

I got it done by Sean in Zulu. Must say they're a lovely bunch of people in there. Even when I was just making the appointment for the tattoo, the woman in there was explaining about wrist tattoos and was really friendly. Sean was lovely too, gave me time to judge the positioning etc and was joking around which got rid of any nerves! I would definitely recommend them for any first timers.

Now, lets see if this starts getting addictive, haha :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 LRN

How long did it take to finish?

LRN wrote: »
    How long did it take to finish?
    It didn't take long at all to get done. Maybe 10-15 minutes max. It's small enough and only balck so I'm sure that helped.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

Yenwood, glad to hear you are happy with it all :)
    You mind me asking how much it cost you?

It was €80. I think there's a base charge in Zulu of €60 and then after that, it depends on the size/detail/colour etc of the tattoo, since mine was relatively simple, they only charged €80 which I think is pretty good!

Advertisement