Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT increasing... any ideas why?

Options
  • 10-09-2009 12:15pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads,
    Been on the look for a car now for a few months but whats puzzling me now is that VRT has increased month on month on the Mondeos, A4's and A6's I have checked on the ROS system.

I just copy and paste in the page when I do an enquiry in a Word doc so its just handy to reference it and have noticed that in particular a 2006 A6 has gone from VRT Value in July - 3896, Aug 4096 and today 4196!!

Any ideas why? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

yop wrote: »
    Lads,
    Been on the look for a car now for a few months but whats puzzling me now is that VRT has increased month on month on the Mondeos, A4's and A6's I have checked on the ROS system.

I just copy and paste in the page when I do an enquiry in a Word doc so its just handy to reference it and have noticed that in particular a 2006 A6 has gone from VRT Value in July - 3896, Aug 4096 and today 4196!!

Any ideas why? :confused:

There is a bit of a recovery in used prices, might be a reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The OMSP that's used to calculate VRT is updated regularly. Clearly the value of the car had been reduced and has been adjusted upwards in the last two months. Perhaps the used value of that car has recovered recently as pointed out by R.O.R.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks lads, I understand that they would review it monthly but I was under the impression that the Irish car market was not improving?
    I wonder is a ploy to just generate more VRT?

Its bloody annoying at the same time! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Thanks lads, I understand that they would review it monthly but I was under the impression that the Irish car market was not improving?
    I wonder is a ploy to just generate more VRT?

Its bloody annoying at the same time! :(

It's probably because a good few people either enquired or actually brought them in or both. If there's demand for a car the VRT goes up on it! It used be possible to clear a 200SX for the minimum amount of €715. Try that now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I mentioned this on another forum recently... They're planning on abolishing it over the next 10 years, so if the % drops with the next budget, they'll sneak up the OMSP to compensate!

I have a feeling that this is what they're doing. Coming to the end of the year used car prices don't rise, they fall!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

steve06 wrote: »
    I mentioned this on another forum recently... They're planning on abolishing it over the next 10 years, so if the % drops with the next budget, they'll sneak up the OMSP to compensate!

I have a feeling that this is what they're doing. Coming to the end of the year used car prices don't rise, they fall!

Thats what used to happen! :) But not in this case!! Shower off fookers :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

steve06 wrote: »
    !

Coming to the end of the year used car prices don't rise, they fall!

Not this year. Used prices in the 4-10 grand ish cars have been on the up since about May. Theres just not enough quality used cars out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The price of used cars was depressed by UK imports. As the Euro fell 10% from 96p to 87p UK imports are more expensive, also increasing the OMSP, which increases VRT and further increases the cost of imports.

There won't be many newish used cars in the next couple of years as there were few new ones sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Not this year. Used prices in the 4-10 grand ish cars have been on the up since about May. Theres just not enough quality used cars out there at the moment.

Perhaps I could interest Sir in a lovely 2007 Ford Focus 1.6Tdci LX 5dr Hatch. Aquarius Blue with Alloys and Fogs, Once careful owner, only 150,000 Km on the clock?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

R.O.R wrote: »
    Perhaps I could interest Sir in a lovely 2007 Ford Focus 1.6Tdci LX 5dr Hatch. Aquarius Blue with Alloys and Fogs, Once careful owner, only 150,000 Km on the clock?
    PM me if it's reasonably priced please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

They didnt seem to be reviewing them down monthly:rolleyes: when prices were dropping like lead balloons:mad:
    The omsp on the revenue site bears no great relation to market prices.
    As simi have an input to the prices on the revenue site,it is in their interest to keep them artificially high.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

manta356 wrote: »
    They didnt seem to be reviewing them down monthly:rolleyes: when prices were dropping like lead balloons:mad:
    Actually they did:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

And where they didn't adjust the OMSP properly, lots of people appealed and got money back !

A bit off topic, but for anyone who believes that car prices are not recovering, try buying something at Merlin auction these days ... prices are gone mental. 09 Avensis diesel with 20k kms sold on Wed night for 24,300 incl fees ... you can buy a new one for around 25,500 !

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

There seem to be few options in the 1-2 or maybe in 3 year old used cars. I suppose the people who change cars every 2-3 years are holding onto their cars.

Advertisement