Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I paid 51.5k for a new A5 1.8Tfsi in april 2008. Its retail at that time was 54.5k. It now retails at a little under 50k new. Mine is now worth low 30s at best id say. I would certainly go for a slightly used one but wouldnt pay anywhere near that money for it. It wouldnt have made alot more than that new in these times regardless of list price.
    I would also go for a quattro if at all possible.
    Also, an this is important. drive it on a really long test drive. They are a pig on uneven roads and it can get very annoying very fast. I certainly wouldnt buy mine if I knew what I know now about its road behaviour.
    Stupid stuff like accelerate out of a junction with any urgency an the front passenger wheel jumps off the road like the shocks are gone. Do it with someone in the passenger seat and it will probably be fine. Poor, poor setup.
    Im not sure from the photo whether they are the genuine 19" upgrade alloys or the 18" replicas which are turning up on some cars. With 19", the handling really is just too much to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

If your hearts set on it go ahead. But read this thread, good first hand experience in it -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055674425

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭LOOKIHERE

Wow - thanks. I have had an Audi TT before and have always liked audi - did not think the drive would have been that bad. I will be sure to take it for a long drive - thanks for the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

For the money your looking at spending these would be my 3 choices and my rational

1) it's different then and audi and bmw and is a lovely classy vehicle

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/C-Class/AMG/200927194507542/advert?channel=CARS

2)If you could afford the up keep i.e petrol and tax of the audi below go for it. It's a really differnt audi too then most of the ones on the road

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/RS4/4.2-fsi-/200930194714364/advert?channel=CARS

3) For the ride of your life and just inside of your budget....WTF

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Corsa/Njoy-1.0/200937195146042/advert?channel=CARS

LOOKIHERE wrote: »
    Wow - thanks. I have had an Audi TT before and have always liked audi - did not think the drive would have been that bad. I will be sure to take it for a long drive - thanks for the feedback

I had a TT too. Great drive and a great car. All the talk about hairdressers car etc is bull and its certainly no golf either. Loved it. A5 is a whole heap of crap compared to it. I thought the A5 would be a bit better on the rough roads than the TT but its a million times worse. TT was just hard on the road which is perfectly fine for the type of car it is. The A5 while being softer just doesnt work with it pulling in the direction of the road madly. Try an emergency stop when its pulling you with the road - the back will try to come around at speeds above 65 mph approx.
    Ive driven 5 or 6 A5s an they all do this to varying degrees mine being particularily bad. I do drive it quite hard though and it doesnt suit it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

racso1975 wrote: »
    1) it's different then and audi and bmw and is a lovely classy vehicle

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/C-Class/AMG/200927194507542/advert?channel=CARS

What's the deal with that? Engine size says 1.7 for some reason, and €44k seems very cheap for a C55 AMG.

Edit : Just checked it there, it is the 1.8 petrol. Wow, massive amount of money spent to make a slow car look like a fast one. If he waited a little longer he could have bought the fast one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You could also consider the Laguna Coupe. Like this one. The Audi may have 4 wheel drive but this has 4 wheel steering.
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Renault/Laguna/180-GT/200929194646470/advert?channel=CARS

In a straight sale, discount off the listed price would need to be (and probably is), huge.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    The Audi may have 4 wheel drive but this has 4 wheel steering.

No it doesnt have 4 wheel drive

mickdw wrote: »
    I had a TT too. Great drive and a great car. All the talk about hairdressers car etc is bull and its certainly no golf either. Loved it.

Yep - I'm regretting selling mine now. I should have kept it - great car

[QUOTE=1) it's different then and audi and bmw and is a lovely classy vehicle

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/C-Class/AMG/200927194507542/advert?channel=CARS[/QUOTE]

Its a bit snoop dogg meets boy racer no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

BrianD3 wrote: »
    In a straight sale, discount off the listed price would need to be (and probably is), huge.

I'd imagine a new €50K Renault Laguna would set all-time records for depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Zube wrote: »
    I'd imagine a new €50K Renault Laguna would set all-time records for depreciation.

+1

Saw one on the M1 a few weeks back and it's no where near as nice in the flesh as it looks in the pictures.

LOOKIHERE wrote: »
    Yep - I'm regretting selling mine now. I should have kept it - great car

Would you consider a jaguar xf? Stunning car with the right spec.
    I parked my A5 beside one one day and it looked so much classier thatn the audi. Colour & spec important though

"Experts" said the same about the Citroen C6 yet things have turned out somewhat differently. Those who were hoping to pick up a used C6 for peanuts after a few years have been disappointed.

Anyhow, a Laguna Coupe GT won't be 50k. A common mistake when looking at depreciation is to compare used values to the new list price. A while back, I was offered a 30% discount off a new Laguna hatch, a discount of around 10k. If the car were to then depreciate by 5k in the frst year, to an uninformed person it looks like the depreciation is 15k.

No matter how much a car like a Laguna depreciates, it certainly won't be setting any records for depreciation. A luxury barge might, in one year, depreciate by more than the new price of a Laguna. And as we've seen, a 51.5k Audi A5 may lose 20k in a little over one year.
    mickdw wrote:
    I paid 51.5k for a new A5 1.8Tfsi in april 2008. Its retail at that time was 54.5k. It now retails at a little under 50k new. Mine is now worth low 30s at best id say.
    Some more interesting stuff including comments on depreciation of Laguna vs 3 series vs A5
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/234685/renault_laguna_coupe_gt.html
    http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/Long-term-tests/Renault-Laguna-Coupe-20dCi-GT-long-term-test-review/

Would you consider a jaguar xf? Stunning car with the right spec.
    I parked my A5 beside one one day and it looked so much classier thatn the audi. Colour & spec important though

Yes very nice - but pricey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

R.O.R wrote: »
    +1

Saw one on the M1 a few weeks back and it's no where near as nice in the flesh as it looks in the pictures.

No, not quite as nice in reality, but still a lot nicer looking than the awkward looking A5.

I think both the A5 and Laguna look very well. mickdw's comments about the Audi's handling would make me wary although I'd have to drive it myself to judge. I'd be more fussy about ride comfort and given previous experience with Audis, would be surprised if the A5 is anything other than "rock hard".

And if the ride comfort of the Laguna is as bad as the review say, I would not buy it either. Also, the emissions are bad compared to BMW, Audi and others, The result is a Laguna DCi 180 costs around 4 times as much to tax as a 520d.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I had a couple of test drives in the A5 and didn't find it as bad as Micks experience (although haven't anything like his drive time in one).
    For me, the 1.8T was too lightweight for the car and the handling was only ok, it's a bit cramped in the back, the pedals are badly positioned giving a poor driving position and the options required to get it to a nice spec are crazily overpriced in Ireland. The interior is lovely though and its a lovely looking car.

I found it a bit rough on poor roads but any worthwhile 'sporty' car will be the same, pretty much any audi or bmw is similar.

edit - and the one in the OP is very overpriced imo.

copacetic wrote: »
    I had a couple of test drives in the A5 and didn't find it as bad as Micks experience (although haven't anything like his drive time in one).

I was driving mine for a good few days with it being new etc taking it easy over the bumpy surfaces etc before I realised it was going to be very hard to live it.
    I dont want to put the OP off. I just recommended that he take an extened test drive and preferably with the wheel size he hoped to run on the car too. Interestingly when complaining to audi warranty, the guy there told me I should have taken a 3 day test drive before committing to buy. I cannot seem to find a dealer willing to give a demo out for 3 days to anybody and when I mention that Audi Ireland are recommending this, it is passed off as nonsense. Customer service leaves alot to be desired with Audi Ireland.

well if you were looking at the e92 on 19s also Mick it would have been worse if anything..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I dont want to put the OP off.

More data: the current CAR magazine has a test of the new A5 hatchback, which is a cross between an A4 and an A5 with a hatch, and says all the cars they tested handled poorly with bad directional stability, poor ride, and even some torque steer.

More data: the current CAR magazine has a test of the new A5 hatchback, which is a cross between an A4 and an A5 with a hatch, and says all the cars they tested handled poorly with bad directional stability, poor ride, and even some torque steer.

That pretty much sums up mine.
    Interestingly, at first the dealer kept saying "its your wheels". We then drove one on the smallest standard wheels an when I still found fault, he then started saying stuff like "its in them" and "you couldnt give it to a woman" and suggested I got on to Audi Ireland with my valid complaint.
    If the OP has any driving to do on country roads, He should be very wary however if he mostly drives around city streets and and doesnt venture into the country too much, it might be ok however mine does move around on motorway too just like it would be windy or like an old car does when suspension bushes are worn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..sounds like, and in keeping with me experience, it's time to back to a TT........sorry I sold mine, too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

well if you were looking at the e92 on 19s also Mick it would have been worse if anything..

I got one of those for a day. 19" non runflats were on it. It was fine, hard but fine. I dont mind hard. My TT was pretty hard too but nice. I hear the runflat ones are just mad though. THe local garage here who imports alot of newish BMWs just pulls off the runflats on all cars. HE had too many customers coming back complaining that the car was trying to turn them into the drain.
    The BMW doesnt have the wierd characteristic that the audi has though. Very strange setup. It might be something to do with the steering rack now being fitted very low in the car. It just weights up really strangely (the steering) and takes lumps of steering angle driving over bumps if the car doesnt come down even on both wheels. Worst setup ever. Maybe if some aftermarket company like powerflex make a set of harder bushes for it, it might improve things. I have a feeling that in a couple of years, Audi will have changed things considerably too as they must know things are not right.

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..sounds like, and in keeping with me experience, it's time to back to a TT........sorry I sold mine, too.

I get the feeling that if I had time & money to mess with offsets, tyres & suspension, I would improve it a fair bit. Its just a pity Audi didnt see fit to do this..... and if they did their best with it and the current set up is the result well, that chassis should never have made production.
    Audi Ireland dont help things either by basically telling me its imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Disagree, have a e92 on 19'' rims and runflats no problems. The origional runflats were a bit prone to tramlining however since I changed to newer generation runflats no problems. I have msport suspension so the ride is very firm and a sudden pothole certainly wakes you up, but the handeling is amazing at speed, no body roll, precise turnin, lots or gip, very confortable at motorway speeds. I do intend to switch to non runflats now that my warrenty is up. The 1.8T is a pathetic engine on a car that size, you need the big oil burners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Biro wrote: »
    What's the deal with that? Engine size says 1.7 for some reason, and €44k seems very cheap for a C55 AMG.

Edit : Just checked it there, it is the 1.8 petrol. Wow, massive amount of money spent to make a slow car look like a fast one. If he waited a little longer he could have bought the fast one! :)

Thats just priceless! Good work batman.

Disagree, have a e92 on 19'' rims and runflats no problems. The origional runflats were a bit prone to tramlining however since I changed to newer generation runflats no problems. I have msport suspension so the ride is very firm and a sudden pothole certainly wakes you up, but the handeling is amazing at speed, no body roll, precise turnin, lots or gip, very confortable at motorway speeds. I do intend to switch to non runflats now that my warrenty is up. The 1.8T is a pathetic engine on a car that size, you need the big oil burners.

I wasn't saying it wasn't worth it! just that the ride is 'very firm' as you say. I have the same setup as you and am very happy with it. What tyres are you on now? I'm on potenzas..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I wasn't saying it wasn't worth it! just that the ride is 'very firm' as you say. I have the same setup as you and am very happy with it. What tyres are you on now? I'm on potenzas..

Mitchelin Pilot Sports Run flats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭futura123

OP I drive an Audi TTS.... upgraded 2 litre engine churning out 270 bhp with quattro.... the ride can be a bit hard with 19 inch rims but otherwise its a joy to drive

Advertisement