Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hallowe'en Howls Comedy Festival, October Bank Holiday Weekend, Portlaoise

Options
  • 10-09-2009 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

The Hallowe'en Howls Comedy Festival returns to Portlaoise for its annual slot on the comedy calendar, the October Bank Holiday Weekend.

Over 30 comedians take to stage in various venues in the Portlaoise town centre. Just some of the comedians taking part include Neil Delamere, Jason Byrne, PJ Gallagher, The Stars of Whose Line is it Anyway (including Greg Proops, Steven Frost, Richard Vranch, Steve Steen, Andy Smart and Ian Coppinger), Andrew Maxwell, Karl Spain, Maeve Higgins, Colin Murphy, John Moloney and many more.

Along with all the comedy gigs, a few fringe events take place including the Pig Race with guest mc and a few more unique shows. For more info check out www.halloweenhowls.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭fona

How fast do the tickets usually sell out?

And can I buy from the actual venue instead of ticketmaster?

Ta
    Fona

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

fona wrote: »
    How fast do the tickets usually sell out?

And can I buy from the actual venue instead of ticketmaster?

Ta
    Fona

Had a quick look, and looks like you can get them on ticketmaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 KavanaghsPub

Hi Fona,

Tickets for gigs in the smaller venues will probably sell out pretty quick. All the tickets went on sale yesterday and about 120 tickets sold in a couple of hours, quite a few for Delamere on the Saturday night, (he's only doing 2 gigs) and the bus tour of Portlaoise!! Keep an eye on the facebook and twitter pages and we'll keep you up to date on the shows and all the other news.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

This sounds really good - but whats the Bus tour all about?

Well the bus tour is a new addition to this years fest. On the Sat of the festival a 52 seater bus will depart from the top square at 3pm for a 40-50min tour of Portlaoise with two comedians tourguides.

Its an improv comedy club on wheels, with the town as the backdrop.

Anyone got any ideas for a route or interesting buildings, sculptures etc that a tour bus would have to pass by? (and of course take into account that the comedians will of course be putting their twist on it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

They'd just have to go by the prisons!! And for the easily entertained, the old graveyard behind Brown's, with its phallic head stones is right down some of the line-ups alley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jakestevens

Comedy bus a great idea, see you all there

• Subscribers Posts: 41,406 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i hope those two sacks who went to andrew maxwell last year are permanently banned....

good hecklers are intelligent
    stupid hecklers are just fecking annoying....

I hope Andrew Maxwell himself doesn't get banned. Been to three of his gigs relatively recently, he has got progressively drunker, progressively more ignorant and, unfortunately, progressively less funny each time.

When I saw him first a few years ago, I never laughed so much in my life. Would be a shame if the trend I refer to above was to define his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Kenteach wrote: »
    I hope Andrew Maxwell himself doesn't get banned. Been to three of his gigs relatively recently, he has got progressively drunker, progressively more ignorant and, unfortunately, progressively less funny each time.

When I saw him first a few years ago, I never laughed so much in my life. Would be a shame if the trend I refer to above was to define his career.

I thought it was hard for him to go backwards as i never found him funny....but his attitude recently has been awful. Does he not see people are paying money to see him and to him its a laugh ( but not a funny one:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TheKid

Great to have this event in portlaoise, it can only go from strength to strength and is a credit to Pj and his team.

As for Andrew Maxwell I never liked the guy particularly then I went to see him and its not that he was bad, its just I didn't think he was really funny.Now Tommy Tiernan, there's a funny ****er.

TheKid wrote: »
    Now Tommy Tiernan, there's a funny ****er.

Until about 2005.

Hey Guys,
    Well firstly, the tour bus ideas are coming thick and fast, and there's a few gems there! We've a few of the comedians really up for taking part in this one and it's not going to be a complete pisstake either, that just wouldn't be fair now would it, and sure where would you start or finish....
    But if you still have idea's the roundabout tour of Portlaoise history, FitzMaurice Place, The Dead Wall and places like this, (from www.portlaoisepictures.com )

trough.jpg

As for the Andrew Maxwell gig, well have no fear we'll have a great show from him, all that being said, 'different strokes for different folks'.
    But yeah after speaking to Andrew, he had a bad show at the Iveagh Gardens Festival where things went a little bit hairy, but I'd be quite happy to put a bet on that at 6pm on the Bank Holiday Monday Andrew will be in flying form, he's on with PJ Gallagher and the wonderful John Colleary in Sky Venue, I think its gonna be a great show! (once the 2 idiots from last year don't turn up!
    We'll be having chats with all our volunteers this year again about hecklers. We had 2 ejected from a gig last year, (it should of been 4 with the 2 above!), but hopefully we'll have a better handle on it for this year.

Festival is comin together nicely, tickets selling really well, we'll have a festival office opened late next week at 27 Main Street, near the Citizens Information Centre where people can also buy tickets for the shows, I'll get more info soon. And also keep an eye out for the Pat the Baker Halloween Howls Brack. Class eh!
    8435_134045850266_97034760266_2704996_1155918_n.jpg

The launch of this years Hallowe'en Howls Comedy Festival takes place upstairs in Kavanaghs Pub tomorrow night, (Friday 2nd Oct) at 8pm. All are welcome to attend and get a feel for what's in store for Portlaoise this October Bank Holiday Weekend.

The launch will last approximately 1 hour and is followed by Kavanaghs Comedy Club monthly gig which features Andrew Stanley, Eric Lalor and Bernard O'Shea. To celebrate the launch of the Howls, tickets for the Comedy Club, starting at 9.30pm, are at a two for one price of just €15.

Come along for the launch at 8pm and see what's in store!

Get Ready to Howl!
    The Howls Crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Got my tickets! Going to see Andrew Maxwell and Whose line is it anyway. Love that show!

Kenteach wrote: »

Aww no has he??? Aww bummer! i hope he does a good gig and isnt drunk beforehand!

You should be alright Ruby, apparently he has 'taken stock' (no doubt with gentle persuasion from his agent) and I believe he is back on form. No doubting his ability to have you rolling in the aisles when on form.

i surely hope so! :)

Thanks to everyone who has already purchased tickets for various shows for this years howls and with just 6 days to go the start of the madness, we're already getting the sold out signs ready for the vast majority of shows.

Anyway, last year an estimated €250,000 was generated in the local economy and this year we hope to at least match it. This will be a much needed boost for the local economy. The festival is now looking for some volunteers to help out with the fest over the weekend.

If you might be interested in taking part we'd love to hear from you. It will probably be helping at the door of the venues and generally giving a dig out at different events. So if you happen to have a few hours available next weekend please email info@halloweenhowls.ie

Thanks a mil
    The Howls Crew

• Advertisement
Advertisement