Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop Spitting on the Streets!

Options
  • 09-09-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Can we please start a campaign to get people to stop spitting on the street.
    It is so disgusting walking through the streets covered in other peoples bodily fluids.
    I'm sure it's also very unhealthy. In this day and age when we are all carrying around hand wipes and following the catch it kill it bin it rule, it seems basically stupid to be spitting on the streets.
    Can we please try to put a stop to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

How would you propose you stop people spitting? Anyway, this thread doesn't really fit in with Bio+Med.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

By awareness. People probably dont even realise they're doin it. and no it might be the right forum. i don't know where to put it. Mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

phi3 wrote: »
    By awareness. People probably dont even realise they're doin it.

If it were that easy, then someone would have stopped it by now.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that people know full well what they are doing

If it were that easy, then someone would have stopped it by now.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that people know full well what they are doing

Just thought it might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Just thought it might be worth a try.

I'd love if it stopped, by the way. I hate it too!

I'd be all for introducing a fine.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭suspectpackage

I have to say i am one of the people who enjoys spitting. I usually try to spit on some grass and not on the pavements. There are just some times when you have excess saliva that you just can't swallow. it's a lifelong habit for me. I spit like a maniac whenever I have eaten anything or drunk anything. I just can't swallow the slushy residual of my meal that is left in my mouth. I think the issue should be stopping people spitting by awareness first of all and secondly by using some sort of "spit bag" or something? because some people are going to spit regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

and secondly by using some sort of "spit bag" or something? because some people are going to spit regardless.

we all have a spit bag, it's called our stomach. your salivary glands make the saliva so that you will swallow your food comfortably, and maintain a correct oral ph so that your teeth won't break down. you just have a bad habit of spitting, it's just like any other habit, it can be broken. with a bit of will power!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

By awareness. People probably dont even realise they're doin it. and no it might be the right forum. i don't know where to put it. Mods?
    We can keep it here and talk about the hygeine/microbiology stuff. Feel free to open another thread in another forum for different responses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

What about the people that blow molecules of nasal mucus onto the pavement on their jumpers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ottobock

It is so disgusting walking through the streets covered in other peoples bodily fluids.
    I'm sure it's also very unhealthy. In this day and age when we are all carrying around hand wipes and following the catch it kill it bin it rule, it seems basically stupid to be spitting on the streets.

Im a wheelchair user and I totally agree .. its absolutely disgusting.. i regularly have to check where im going, whether the wheels go over one of these disgusting spits, whether my hands have picked it up, whether my cuffs are full of somebodys phlegm.
    The worst is when Im being pushed and Ive no control over where Im going..
    whats worst is my total awareness from a microbiological point of view,,im gagging now typing but I live with this day in, day out, day in day out day in day out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

ottobock wrote: »
    Im a wheelchair user and I totally agree .. its absolutely disgusting.. i regularly have to check where im going, whether the wheels go over one of these disgusting spits, whether my hands have picked it up, whether my cuffs are full of somebodys phlegm.
    The worst is when Im being pushed and Ive no control over where Im going..
    whats worst is my total awareness from a microbiological point of view,,im gagging now typing but I live with this day in, day out, day in day out day in day out

That's a very good point. I'd never thought of it from the perspective of a wheelchair user. It must e horrible for you.

I've been in Singapore a few times, and it's a criminal offence there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Nice one... but I don't fancy your/our chances of getting through to people. I find it revolting when someone spits on the pavement. I think that some pick up the habit from footballers spitting while they play. I remember once standing at a bus stop and there was a group of guys to my right. One of them just turned away from the center of the group and spat on the ground. Then, a few more did the same, thinking nothing of it.

That same day, I saw something quite astonishing too: A guy bought something in the shop but - while leaving to get into his van - he threw the container AT a bin and missed from around 7-10 metres away. He saw that he missed but just walked on.

What's the answer? - Extermination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ottobock

tallaght01 wrote: »
    That's a very good point. I'd never thought of it from the perspective of a wheelchair user. It must e horrible for you.
    the wost "offenders" (if i can use the term) are groups of young land standing at a wall or outside a shop..

I was walking behind a guy once and he was spitting every few minutes. There was a trail of spit every few metres along the path. No-one needs to spit that much. People say they have to do it because they have phleghm in their mouth. Can they not swallow it? I have never had a circumstance that i "had to" spit on the streets or anywhere else either. The comment about wheelchair users was a very good point. I also think about the kids that are always reaching down to the ground if they see something unusual even when it gets on your shoes and your taking the germs back to your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Is it not one here, too? I thought it was brought about to combat the spread of TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Might surprise you to know tallaght old pa that it is an offence in Ireland too

Old Statute from the 1950's when TB was rife, think it is still active though rarely acted upon

Would prefer to see one about spitting gum on streets as well

Wow. Didn't know it was illegal in Ireland. Not lived full time in Ireland in the last 13 years. Interesting point, though.

Probably not a hugely important TB control strategy nowadays though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Saw a guy spitting in the Ilac Center in Dublin onto the floor! Was horrified!

If it was the ilac centre, you're lucky he wasn't having a slash on the floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Wow. Didn't know it was illegal in Ireland. Not lived full time in Ireland in the last 13 years. Interesting point, though.

Probably not a hugely important TB control strategy nowadays though.

Very old law to stop people spitting when TB rife, would be useful now with respect to H1N1 to get people to consider others when spitting/snotting on streets

I havent heard of any prosecutions from this in a long time though

• Advertisement

drzhivago wrote: »
    Very old law to stop people spitting when TB rife, would be useful now with respect to H1N1 to get people to consider others when spitting/snotting on streets

I havent heard of any prosecutions from this in a long time though

citizen's arrest next time you see it happening ;)

Advertisement