Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on where to live near Ballyfermot

Options
  • 09-09-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

On very little notice I've been offered a place on a course in Ballyfermot college.

I don't know Dublin very well so I was wondering where I should be looking for accommodation that's near (I'm happy to cycle 2 or so miles to the place), but not actually in, Ballyfermot.

Not sure about prices but I'd rather spend 450 a month or under.
    An apartment would be preferable.

Any ideas guys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Chapelizod maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Lucan maybe?

Good number of house shares there by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

fonpokno wrote: »
    Lucan maybe?

Good number of house shares there by the looks of it.

Thanks lads.

Chapelizod looks like an option alright.

Lucan looks nice but is it not around 10 miles from Ballyfermot?
    Hoping to keep within 2-3 miles of the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

You could also try Kilmainham which is only down the road from Ballyfermot. The 79 buses also go through Kilmainham up to the college if the weather is particularly bad and ya can't cycle!
    Palmerstown could be an option for a house share!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

Lucan is nowhere near 10 miles from Ballyfermot.....5 at most. I live in Lucan and work in a school in Ballyfermot and cycle in about 20 mins........................it doesn't change the fact that Chapelizod is probably a better option for you though....just wanted to clear that up:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Park West and Cedarbrook are two apartment developments that are near enough too, and there is the 79/A bus for the wet mornings too that will leave you very near. Not sure what the rents are but you could look on daft.ie

Inchicore Village also has some apartments and is very close to town. Only 10/15 mins cycle to Ballyfermot College.
    I wouldn't recommend Park West/Cederbrook for a first timer to Dublin as it's basically on the edge of a very large industrial estate which is dead after 5pm.
    Also it's along way from Dublin City centre if you are planning a few nights out even though there is a new DART station beside Cederbrook and the apts in park west.
    Lived in Lucan and it's not a patch on living close to Dublin City centre.

Thanks for all the responses.

Thinking of moving in with the girlfriend now.
    She's been looking at apartments in Ranelagh and Rathmines, nearer to her place of work than mine.
    Bit of a cycle but it should be manageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Sundew wrote: »
    You could also try Kilmainham which is only down the road from Ballyfermot. The 79 buses also go through Kilmainham up to the college if the weather is particularly bad and ya can't cycle!

That alternates between the 79A and the 79 meaning only every second bus goes through Kilmainham.
    At best that's a 20 minute wait and realy, that isn't acceptable imo. If cycling is an option then do it. Or a scooter is even a better option

I'm in the area OP and I'd recommend Chapelizod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

RichyX wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses.

She's been looking at apartments in Ranelagh and Rathmines, nearer to her place of work than mine.
    Bit of a cycle but it should be manageable.

Either of those two areas is an excellent choice for a student, much better than any of the other suggestions (eventhough it is that bit further away), as you also have the option of the 18 bus route which passes through Ranelagh and Rathmines and goes through Ballyfermot i.e. within a minute or two's walk of the college. Definitely not the best route in the Dublin Bus fleet but will do the job.

• Advertisement

dats_right wrote: »
    Either of those two areas is an excellent choice for a student, much better than any of the other suggestions (eventhough it is that bit further away), as you also have the option of the 18 bus route which passes through Ranelagh and Rathmines and goes through Ballyfermot i.e. within a minute or two's walk of the college. Definitely not the best route in the Dublin Bus fleet but will do the job.

That's good to hear :)

Moving up on Sunday so I'll be looking at places next week.

That alternates between the 79A and the 79 meaning only every second bus goes through Kilmainham.
    At best that's a 20 minute wait and realy, that isn't acceptable imo. If cycling is an option then do it. Or a scooter is even a better option

Hey the 79a only stops around the corner from Kilmainham. I doubt the 5/10 minutes walk would be too much for a young strapping lad from Cork!!!!;)
    And of course there is always the 68 that goes through Kilmainham.

I've live in Rathmines and yes it's a great place to live for the firstimer to Dublin but the commute via the 18 to Ballyfermot is just god damm awful. I did it every day for 4 years.
    Have you seen this one on Daft up the road from Chapelizod, and a stones throw from town and Ballyfermot College. Right beside the phoenix Park too!
    http://tinyurl.com/ljeo9x

Good luck with the search

Hey the 79a only stops around the corner from Kilmainham. I doubt the 5/10 minutes walk would be too much for a young strapping lad from Cork!!!!;)
    And of course there is always the 68 that goes through Kilmainham.

I've live in Rathmines and yes it's a great place to live for the firstimer to Dublin but the commute via the 18 to Ballyfermot is just god damm awful. I did it every day for 4 years.
    Have you seen this one on Daft up the road from Chapelizod, and a stones throw from town and Ballyfermot College. Right beside the phoenix Park too!
    http://tinyurl.com/ljeo9x

Good luck with the search

What's so bad about the 18 bus?

We're looking at 2-3 bed places as on of the girlfriend's friends is living with us too.

Thanks for the pm btw :)

Personally I just found it a very long winded commute. I was often stuck in very heavy traffic on the Kylemore Rd and sometimes the 18 never showed. It's a hard route to determine the time the bus will arrive as it all depends on traffic at time you are commuting. I have also cycled it!
    I ended up moving closer to work as the commute was driving me nuts. Himself works in town and we have just found it suits us better where we are now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dubgem

I know you said you'd like an apartment and there are mostly houses in Ballyfermot. But a quick glance at daft shows that quite a few of those houses have rooms to rent. Surely a room in a shared house on your college's doorstep would be better than a room in a shared apartment miles away?

Can't speak for the Cherry Orchard end of things, but I actually live in Lower Ballyfermot (Inchicore side of the Kylemore Road) myself. I'm not from the area, bought here a year ago because I couldn't afford anywhere else. Despite what's been posted in other threads about Ballyfermot I've found it to be a terrific place to live. No trouble, people really nice and friendly, great facilities (parks, leisure centre, shops etc), a great bus route into town and only about €12 for a taxi home from the city centre on a Saturday night/Sunday morning. Have been coming and going at all times of the day and night for a year now and love the place, would (and do) highly recommend it as a place to live.

Back searching for a place as the whole living with the gf didn't work out so well!

Chapelizod is a good location, but there doesn't seem to be much of a selection there.
    Looking primarily at Kilmainham and Inchicore now as there are lots of places there around the 400€ range.

I'll be doing viewing this coming week once I'm back in Dublin.

Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ellegee

Daft currently shows 5 house-shares actually in Ballyfermot, 4 of them under €400

Rich I'm pretty sure I spotted some accommodation advertised in EuroSpar,Inchicore last week. I'll check it tomorrow and let ya know if theres anything worth checking out!

Rich I'm pretty sure I spotted some accommodation advertised in EuroSpar,Inchicore last week. I'll check it tomorrow and let ya know if theres anything worth checking out!

Great, thanks for that!

Have ya seen this one in Inchicore? 10/15 minutes cycle from Ballyfermot College!
    http://tinyurl.com/ygqxe92

• Advertisement
Advertisement