Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clifford Alarms...?

Options
  • 09-09-2009 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭

Right ho, well as some here know, I bought a Teg Type R on the weekend, very poor alarm system in it and I want to upgrade.

Rang a guy, had his number from a Clifford Installer advert in an old mag, but he said he used to do Cliffords but they were giving him too much trouble, he now only installs K-9 alarms. He said thet for €390, he would supply and fit it, it has an immobiliser and a load of other bits and pieces. Can't remember what though! Back up battery, dual siren and stuff.

What are K-9 alarms like does anyone know?

But there's another crowd called MDS, out near Liffy Vally, they'll supply and fit a Clifford for 650, seems to be a fairly good spec one, G5 I think?

Basicly i'm just wondering, is it worth spending the extra on the Clifford? Are they really THAT good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Had a Clifford on a Fiat Coupe a few years back. I paid over £500 for it at the time. I had no end of trouble with it. Even had the whole thing replaced and still had problems. Wouldn't recommend them.

Is an alarm really necessary? Everyone ignores them anyway. I think a good immobiliser makes more sense. Most cars these days have them standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

ksimpson wrote: »
    Had a Clifford on a Fiat Coupe a few years back. I paid over £500 for it at the time. I had no end of trouble with it. Even had the whole thing replaced and still had problems. Wouldn't recommend them.

Is an alarm really necessary? Everyone ignores them anyway. I think a good immobiliser makes more sense. Most cars these days have them standard.
    Its a 98 Teg Type R, kept in Dublin...!

I just want a good system with a built in immobiliser to be honest. I've heard a few horror stories about em though!

Does anyone here know anything about K-9 alarms?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The installer usually causes the majority of alarm problems.

I had a Clifford G5 with blackjax immobiliser, remote start, exra sensors etc. was very happy with it.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The installer usually causes the majority of alarm problems.
    Thats what the K-9 fella said on the phone, do you have the number or any details of the chap that done yours Colm?

And what is Blackjax? I've seen that on the Clifford ad's in mags and the like

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

blakjax is an anti hijack system.

did the car not come with Hondas cat 1 alarm & immobiliser?

Mds are highly reccomended over on dtdirl and they'll install a clifford for ya properly, as others have said its the bad installation that causes the problems

• Advertisement

draffodx wrote: »
    did the car not come with Hondas cat 1 alarm & immobiliser?
    Nah, just a crappy aftermarket alarm. No remote central locking either!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

highly recommend MDS ireland
    i have had all my good cars done by brendan
    6 cars to be precise
    i always pay top dollar and never had any trouble
    all the bells and whistle's usually cost from 800 up to around 1400
    its peace of mind at the end of the day you want an alarm that has warrenty
    and fitted by genuine clifford installers ,

its your car your cash and your peace of mind
    it will stand to you when you sell it.

btw no affiliation with MDS but feel free to mention my name
    pm me for that lol

highly recommend MDS ireland
    i have had all my good cars done by brendan
    6 cars to be precise
    i always pay top dollar and never had any trouble
    all the bells and whistle's usually cost from 800 up to around 1400
    its peace of mind at the end of the day you want an alarm that has warrenty
    and fitted by genuine clifford installers ,

its your car your cash and your peace of mind
    it will stand to you when you sell it.

btw no affiliation with MDS but feel free to mention my name
    pm me for that lol
    Your PM's are disabled buddy, 800-1400....wow!

Bells & Whistles, what exactly? Like I don't want a Proxy sensor because it'll be parked in my drive at night and its fairly tight in the garden, so anyone walking in or out would be gettin a bit of a fright! And I don't want remote start up either. Just want a good system really! I'd quite like one of the flashing blue Clifford badges in the front window though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Did you speak to the lads in Sound Decision yet Graham? I had Carl over earlier fitting a few alarms to cars we have going out this week. Even for the advice, I'd give him a shout. He's big into his cars, and knows his stuff.

IMO, 800-1400 quid sounds like an awful lot to be spending on security. For that money, I could get you a security camera fitted looking on the car! A good alarm costs around 400 quid fitted.

I'm not taking anything away from your car when I say this either, but what's the point in spending 1400 quid on a car thats realistically worth 5-6k? I hope you see where I'm coming from on this one, I do love that Teg!

should be able to pm me now
    you can adjust it so its on the minimum setting
    give him a bell tomorrow and have a chat with him that wont cost ya lol

• Advertisement

I know man, I wont be spending that much on one, I was looking into spending maybe 600 at most on it, the G5 is advertised in MDS for 650.

I looked on Sound Decisions website, all they seem to do is GEMEL alarms? I think anyways! To be honest you are dead right...the only reason I want the Clifford is because I've heard such good things about em before...but then at the same time, there's an immobiliser in the key for my car...do I really need a Clifford...Arrrrg!!!
    should be able to pm me now
    you can adjust it so its on the minimum setting
    give him a bell tomorrow and have a chat with him that wont cost ya lol

I think I'll give him a ring tomorrow and see how much it'd cost all the same. It's a lorra money though!

Did you speak to the lads in Sound Decision yet Graham? I had Carl over earlier fitting a few alarms to cars we have going out this week. Even for the advice, I'd give him a shout. He's big into his cars, and knows his stuff.

IMO, 800-1400 quid sounds like an awful lot to be spending on security. For that money, I could get you a security camera fitted looking on the car! A good alarm costs around 400 quid fitted.

I'm not taking anything away from your car when I say this either, but what's the point in spending 1400 quid on a car thats realistically worth 5-6k? I hope you see where I'm coming from on this one, I do love that Teg!

what's the point in been able to look at your camera a few hours after ' seen you car been taken from your driveway
    my first quick car was a 1.6 dohc Sir civic
    may as well have rob me stickers all over it
    that had the G5 clifford never any trouble from any thugs
    alarm cost around 700 punt at the time
    the car cost 7000 punt drove it for a year sold it for 9200 euro
    a costly alarm will sell a car better than any engine modification imho

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

afaik MDS are the only authorised Clifford dealer in Ireland.

I have had 2 Cliffords put in by them now and highly recommend them. What are you getting for the €650? I'd make sure you get the blackjax too, with it you need to enter a pin number everytime the car is started or a door opened.

Never bothered with remote start myself.

I have always had the Proxy sensors, i currently have them set to the lowest level and they rarely go off, you really need to be right up to the window looking in for them to beep.

DaveD wrote: »
    I have always had the Proxy sensors, i currently have them set to the lowest level and they rarely go off, you really need to be right up to the window looking in for them to beep.
    Thats exactly what i'd want if I had em. For €650 its the 659 alarm, with tilt sensor and a few other bits, I cant remember, so Blackjax is the name of the code thing, I wanted that but didn't know what it was called, mate of mine had it in his Evo. Well I'll ring em this morning and see how much it'll set me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

My friend had a Integra Type R a few years back, a jap imort so very easily stolen, he just had a hidden killswitch in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

There's a K-9 alarm system fitted to my car, very happy with it, there's a bright blue flashy light so that you can see it's alarmed, and it's so sensitive it'll go off if you kick the wheel. The alarm is fairly loud and keeps changing tone as well.

I can get you the name of the guys that fitted it if you like.

Also had a Falcon Predator Evo 4 fitted to my last car, also good, not as sensitive but there was a pager, so if you were close to it it (few hundred metres) then it would beep in your pocket if the car was being broken into.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ive installed a fair few falcon alarms and they seem to be pretty good, www.custommotion.ie sell them , if he needs fitting throw me a pm

Was on to Brendan this afternoon, nice guy and told me all about it, for 650 i'd get the Clifford 650, Blackjax, proxy sensor, and all the wiring would be in a sealed metal box inside the car. Sounds good to me and have only gotten good reports about this crowd.

He can either come out and do it but he said it'd be a better job if he done it in the workshop, so of I dropped it to him the night before I want it done, he'll give me a car until the following evening!

Booked in for monday...steep enough but it'll be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Scouserfan

<snip>

No contact details

</snip>

• Advertisement

One thing I wanna ask.

For an extra 40 quid I can get the flashing Clifford Sticker in the front window...would it be really worthwhile? I've seen em on cars before and they really look the business, might let any lil scumbags know there's a good system in it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

I got my alarm fitted in autoaudio.ie in Navan.Its a Clifford its on my DC5 never any problems with it and he did a top notch job.
    ve installed a fair few falcon alarms and they seem to be pretty good, www.custommotion.ie sell them , if he needs fitting throw me a pm
    Is custommotion not gone out of business

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    One thing I wanna ask.

For an extra 40 quid I can get the flashing Clifford Sticker in the front window...would it be really worthwhile? I've seen em on cars before and they really look the business, might let any lil scumbags know there's a good system in it?!

Get it, I never seen one and it sounds cool so get it and I'll have a look at it at a meet!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    One thing I wanna ask.

For 40 nicker, at the very least it might put them off smashing the window in the first place. I've not seen one, but as long as it doesn't draw attention at the same time, it'll be a worthwhile investment.

I only ever seen it once, a fella I knew, had an Evo VII with the 650 in it, and it had that light and I thought it was almost as cool as the car! Yeah, think i'll get it put in too!!!

Well got the alarm in yesterday...couldn't afford the light but he said he'd sort me out when I go back for the window closer thigs and the Flashy thingy!

But to be honest, there's a blue flashing light on the dash and in the night time its incerdibly bright, fairly obvious there's a Clifford installed.

As far as MDS go, couldn't recommend them enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 custom motion

kildarelad wrote: »
    Is custommotion not gone out of business

Not the last time I checked anyway, which was about 5 secs ago....

No getting rid of me sorry to dissapoint :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I've got my Clifford on Espace in 2002 with MDS...since them,no problems at all ! ! And they are still in business !
    If i have to get one now,i'll get with the pager,very handy to know from home/office whereabouts of your car.

If really worried about the car,get a GPS tracking system,with 'zone perimeter' you get alerts if the car is moving from a pre-defined area ( let's say our home street) and then you can take action...

Advertisement