Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hubble back online with new pics!

Options
  • 09-09-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

Hubble is back after the recent servicing mission.
    News HERE and pics HERE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Whenever I think about the Hubble ST, I genuinely feel that the money which has gone into it has been well worth it and has paid back in kind multiple-times over. I can't say that about most other projects that come tro mind, except for the Cassini-Huygens mission and the Spirit/Opportunity rovers on Mars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Ah pics like this make me so happy, thanks for the link!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Absolutely fantastic. Puts things in perspective every time I look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Good story from the BBC about it too.
    Nasa says the orbiting telescope, regarded as one of the most important scientific tools ever built, should keep working until at least 2014.
    A key addition was the new Wide Field Camera 3. This is the instrument that many astronomers suspect will deliver the really big discoveries in the remaining operational years.

It will enable astronomers to carry out new studies of dark energy and dark matter, the "mysterious stuff" that makes up most of the Universe.

WFC3 will also allow Hubble to look deeper into space than ever before, to search for the very first stars to shine in the Universe more than 13 billion years ago.
    In what was a prime mission objective, Hubble fixed the Universe's age at about 13.7 billion years - later confirmed by other instruments

Hubble's ability to detect faint supernovae contributed to the discovery that the expansion rate of the Universe is accelerating

Hubble was one of two telescopes to make the first direct images of planets orbiting another star - historic images made public last November

Hubble provided the first direct measurements of the three-dimensional distribution of dark matter in space

Hubble has shown that monster black holes, with masses millions to billions times the mass of our Sun, inhabit the centres of most galaxies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That third picture make you think. An image of stars 12-13 billion years old, if you could see that same area as it is right now would it be much darker or just full of newer stars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

That one of Jupiter is absolutely amazing... ...I remember the previousd images of Jupiter taken by Hubble (before the last service-misssion) and it was fuzzy and low res. This one looks like it was taken by an orbiting craft (around jupiter itself).

http://media.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/photos/images/sept09/hubble_sm/hubble_newold05.jpg

Advertisement