Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal statement ucas

Options
  • 09-09-2009 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi, you know for the ucas you write the personal statement and apply for 6 courses.....well im want to apply for archaology, midwifery, multimedia courses....So like would i be able to pull off the statement by saying...like i've an interest in history biology and computers...Cos history=archaology Biology= midwifery and like the science side of archaology and computers= multimedia.....like would that work do you think? I hope you get what im mean...thanks

Btw i do all them subjects

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Prob just best telling the truth tbh... ask your guidance counsellor they should know what to say

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Hi, you know for the ucas you write the personal statement and apply for 6 courses.....well im want to apply for archaology, midwifery, multimedia courses....So like would i be able to pull off the statement by saying...like i've an interest in history biology and computers...Cos history=archaology Biology= midwifery and like the science side of archaology and computers= multimedia.....like would that work do you think? I hope you get what im mean...thanks

you should ask this question on www.thestudentroom.co.uk but im pretty sure i read on there its best to stick to one subject when explaining your interest, so that the college wants to accept you:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

thats the one flaw that i noticed with the ucas system.
    initally i wanted to apply for sports science in a few places and maths science in a few other places.

got to this step and decided just to focus on the sports sci and didn't apply for any maths courses.

ended up just doing the maths in ireland (starting in 2 weeks).

to sum up, if you wanted to guarantee an offer, you might be better off deciding which one you want most.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Fince wrote: »
    thats the one flaw that i noticed with the ucas system.
    initally i wanted to apply for sports science in a few places and maths science in a few other places.

got to this step and decided just to focus on the sports sci and didn't apply for any maths courses.

ended up just doing the maths in ireland (starting in 2 weeks).

to sum up, if you wanted to guarantee an offer, you might be better off deciding which one you want most.

Yea thanks... so i think i pick one thing anyway and sure i can apply for the other here in ireland...

What kinda of stuff would i include in it?
    I know its has 2 be a page and half...with relevant subjects you like bla bla....is there anything else to be include??

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

Yea thanks... so i think i pick one thing anyway and sure i can apply for the other here in ireland...

What kinda of stuff would i include in it?
    I know its has 2 be a page and half...with relevant subjects you like bla bla....is there anything else to be include??

throw me a pm there with your email address and i'll try to email you my one from last year if you'd like.

theres no need to think about it too much yet. you've got loadsa time. your guidance counseiller should give you a hand and failing that, theres a good few things on the interweb that help like guides and examples and all that jazz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭superfootyfan

Hi guys, I'm in the process of doing my personal statement now if anyone has one from previous years i'd greatly appreciate it if they could PM me with it just to give me a few pointers and see what sort of thing they are looking for ! Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Hi guys, I'm in the process of doing my personal statement now if anyone has one from previous years i'd greatly appreciate it if they could PM me with it just to give me a few pointers and see what sort of thing they are looking for ! Thanks in advance

I'm doing mine at the minute also! Basically they want the first part to be about why you want to do the course, what interest you have in the subject etc. Not what job you want to have when you're older!If you're doing any LC subjects that relate to the course you want include these and say why you enjoy doing them.

The opening line of your statement should be attention grabbing because universities get loads of these!

Then in the second half of your statement they want to know about you - basically what they're looking for is :
    • Have you done any charity work?
    • Have you done anything within school e.g. member of a student council, mentor to younger students etc.
    • What have you done to benefit your community e.g. member of a tidy towns committee, member of a youth club etc.
    • Have you had a part-time job, skills you learned?
    • What work experience have you relevant to the course you're applying to? Example, if you're applying for a dentistry course have you done work experience with a dentist. This would be as part of TY or LCVP or something along those lines.
    • Why you want to study in the UK, how will it benefit you and would studying there suit you better and once again why.
    • Finally, your hobbies and how they are relevant. This part should be the shortest as they're not really interested in your hobbies eg. football - unless it's a sports course you're applying for.
    They want to know all this because there is so much competition over there for places on courses so they basically want to know why they should want you!

It's a good bit of work, I only have my 1st draft done and it's looking pretty crap! Good luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Whats the latest that these personal statements must be in by? The closing date for UCAS is the 15th of October and I dont want to leave it too late. Going to apply to medicine.

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Whats the latest that these personal statements must be in by? The closing date for UCAS is the 15th of October and I dont want to leave it too late. Going to apply to medicine.

Every course has a different deadline, some even up till January 2010! However I see you've mentioned medicine and I'm pretty sure the deadline is mid September. Also you are required to sit a test similar to the HPAT that must be sent away with your UCAS application, so you need to look into that fast! The test is in Dublin! Get your skates on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Mary007 wrote: »
    Every course has a different deadline, some even up till January 2010! However I see you've mentioned medicine and I'm pretty sure the deadline is mid September. Also you are required to sit a test similar to the HPAT that must be sent away with your UCAS application, so you need to look into that fast! The test is in Dublin! Get your skates on!!

Have I left it too late??? Ive registered onto UKCAT and tried booking a test date but dont really know what to do about test dates. What do you do when they ask for appointment times? Everytime I click on a date it says this date is not availablr for delivery. Help please!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭7oakse

http://heg.tonbridge-school.co.uk/ucas/statement.usml

I live in England atm, looking to come back to trinity but my school gave me this guide for ucas! follow it and you'll have a perfect personal statement!

You also need a reference from a head teacher or something!

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Have I left it too late??? Ive registered onto UKCAT and tried booking a test date but dont really know what to do about test dates. What do you do when they ask for appointment times? Everytime I click on a date it says this date is not availablr for delivery. Help please!!!

Okay, it's not too late but you need to have the test done and your UCAS app off before the end of September. Firstly decide on what Universities in England you want to go to if you're choosing highly ranked ones put in a few lower ones too as a back up. Also don't forget about Scotland and Wales - they have colleges just as good. Bangor in Wales is meant to be good and a popular choice for Irish students.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/home/ That's the website for the entrance exam, as far as I'm aware you have to sit the exam in Dublin. You also need to register at Pearson Vue to book the test. Look at the entrance requirements for each college some will be 5 A's and 1 A2 and then less prestigious ones will be 2 A1's 2 A2's 2 B1's for example. Hope this helps!

Advertisement