Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Bush and Anthrax

Options
  • 09-09-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like his once off appearance with the band in Sonisphere may end up being nothing of the sort and could be the beginning of him returning. He has signed on to sing with the band at the Loud Park Festival in Japan in two months

Fingers crossed that there will be an announcement that he is back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I'd be happy to see him back. While beladonna is the true voice of Anthrax imo mr. bush does a pretty good job. They've become a bit of a joke lately,they need some stability if they ever hope to regain some of their former glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

If you had said to me during the 80's and start of the 90's that anyone other than Belladonna would sound right fronting Anthrax, then I would have laughed at you, but since Bush fronted Sound Of White Noise to when he left, he totally blew me away to the point that I could not imagine any other voice fronting Anthrax live, both for the stuff from his era and from the early days.

He just offered the band far more versatility in terms of how he sounds and his range than Belladonna did, imho of course.

I still love listening to my Joey Albums, but for me Bush is the voice of Anthrax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

like I said in another thread - I'd love to see Bush back with the band, and I too think it's needed at this point to stop the slide into a joke that they are currently on - but at the end of the day unless Scott Ian gets his head out of his ass and actually concentrates on the band and the music it'll just fall apart again.........

hope Bush rejoins permanently and they hit here next year....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I think that Bush right now to me anyway is THE DEFINITIVE Anthrax singer. I like the belladonna era stuff but bush's voice has just so much power in it. Unfortunately though like its said they need to badly get out of the rut there in. Its not like metallica where people just take the piss out of there albums or there personalities, its almost like people feel embarrassed for them so they dont say much about em. Out of all the people i know between the ages of 16 - 25(im 20 myself) only myself and one more guy like em, and a lot of the younger generation havent even heard them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

lord lucan wrote: »
    I'd be happy to see him back. While beladonna is the true voice of Anthrax imo mr. bush does a pretty good job. They've become a bit of a joke lately,they need some stability if they ever hope to regain some of their former glory.

Couldn't agree with you more, Joey will always be the true voice of Anthrax BUT Bush is definitely the close second...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

After getting shafted the lsat time and Joey returning I would be surprised if he rejoined. Guess he has to pay the bills like everyone else. Thought WHCFUA was a class album and would be great to see them visit Ireland again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Bush is the man for me hands down, but at this stage, Anthrax are gone beyond a joke...

I think it is mostly Scott that needs to get his act together tbh. But for all the messing about that has gone on with them, take a good look back through the releases.

Compared to the rest of the old "big four" they have been very consistent in the quality of music they have made throughout their career. For a band that many say are a joke, they have a hell of a back cat.

There is no "St Anger" moment in their back cat, nor is there a slump similar to what Megadeth had.

Stomp 442 is the closest they came to having a bad album, and even then it is nowhere near as bad as the worst that Metallica and Megadeth dished up.

But the fannying about that started after WHCFYA was released really messed them up.

Having said that, if Bush returns, it would be no surprise to see them release a brilliant album only to see it pretty much go under the radar of most, bar Anthrax fans, in the manner that Sound Of White Noise and WHCFYA did.

To this day I am stunned that Sound Of White Noise did not take off in the way it should have, saleswise.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Patricide wrote: »
    Out of all the people i know between the ages of 16 - 25(im 20 myself) only myself and one more guy like em, and a lot of the younger generation havent even heard them...

Sad but true. When i first got into metal in '89 Anthrax were one of the biggest names in the metal genre but with the arrival of nu-metal:mad: they seemed to fade into the background whilst Metallica/Megadeth and Slayer continued to gain higher profiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I would be more of a fan of Belladonna anthrax (Among the living being both my fave album and the first anthrax album I heard) but its always good to hear Bush is thinking of coming back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

lord lucan wrote: »
    Sad but true. When i first got into metal in '89 Anthrax were one of the biggest names in the metal genre but with the arrival of nu-metal:mad: they seemed to fade into the background whilst Metallica/Megadeth and Slayer continued to gain higher profiles.

they had really bad luck in the late 90s with record labels. I only came across "volume 8..." by chance in a record shop in France in the 90s. Pretty cool album though.

They could and should have made hay after WHCFYA. They built up a bit of steam for a while, but then and went and got Joey back for the reunion tour, which was a bad move in hindsight. They shafted Bush, he was right not to go back with them a few years ago. Dunno why he is going back now, either there is more to it, or he needs the money....?

I would be of the opinion that any band that can tour,make albums and make a living out of playing original music is doing well these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

anyone at their gig in the SFX?
    cant remember wot time
    i remember john bush been a dick to the crowd at the end of the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

Also wondering about early Dublin gigs. I have a 12" Madhouse EP and wondered if any of it was recorded in Dublin (Top Hat maybe?). Seem to remember Joey namechecking Dublin on AIR? Must listen again over the weekend.

yknaa wrote: »
    Also wondering about early Dublin gigs. I have a 12" Madhouse EP and wondered if any of it was recorded in Dublin (Top Hat maybe?). Seem to remember Joey namechecking Dublin on AIR? Must listen again over the weekend.

I remember being at the gig in Dublin in '87 or '88 that caused Anthrax to give coming to Ireland a wide berth for a number of years. Irish metallers had the charming habit at the time of spitting at whatever band was onstage.

They kept it up for about 20 minutes and despite being asked by the band to stop, the spitting continued, so Anthrax left the stage and the show was over.

Something similar happened to Maiden on the No Prayer For The Dying tour, until Bruce asked for anyone who wanted to spit to come onstage and do it to him then. Nobody went onstage but when the music resumed so did the spitting. Maiden stopped laying and Bruce said that if the spitting continued that was it for the show. The spitting then stopped.

It was a disgusting habit though, and went on here on a regular basis at gigs between '86 and '91.

I can remember in my more hotheaded teen years getting a few digs in on guys who were doing it at gigs. It really p*ssed me off as it ruined good gigs, and if you were at the front yourself you had a rain of spits hitting you as well.

I can remember someone trying it with John Bush when Anthrax started coming back again but I cannot remember if it was in Belfast or in Dublin, but he got well angry about it a few songs before the end of the gig.

Really should have added that to things I (used to) hate about metal thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

have to say love belladonna albums but it would be great to see bush back with the lads even tho he was treated like **** after in my opinion probably one of the best metal albums of the 00's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

Kess73 wrote: »
    I remember being at the gig in Dublin in '87 or '88 that caused Anthrax to give coming to Ireland a wide berth for a number of years. Irish metallers had the charming habit at the time of spitting at whatever band was onstage.

They kept it up for about 20 minutes and despite being asked by the band to stop, the spitting continued, so Anthrax left the stage and the show was over.

Something similar happened to Maiden on the No Prayer For The Dying tour, until Bruce asked for anyone who wanted to spit to come onstage and do it to him then. Nobody went onstage but when the music resumed so did the spitting. Maiden stopped laying and Bruce said that if the spitting continued that was it for the show. The spitting then stopped.

It was a disgusting habit though, and went on here on a regular basis at gigs between '86 and '91.

I can remember in my more hotheaded teen years getting a few digs in on guys who were doing it at gigs. It really p*ssed me off as it ruined good gigs, and if you were at the front yourself you had a rain of spits hitting you as well.

I can remember someone trying it with John Bush when Anthrax started coming back again but I cannot remember if it was in Belfast or in Dublin, but he got well angry about it a few songs before the end of the gig.

Really should have added that to things I (used to) hate about metal thread

i remember the spitting at the bodycount concert
    ice t pointed out the guy doing it and ya man got a few slaps for himself

endasmail wrote: »
    i remember the spitting at the bodycount concert
    ice t pointed out the guy doing it and ya man got a few slaps for himself

Yeah it was a really disgusting habit at Irish metal gigs for a while. Could never grasp why it took off so much, little Irish kids thinking they were being so punk by spitting at the band they paid to see. Idiots.

Advertisement