Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phrase matching in domain name

Options
  • 09-09-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

Not sure if that's the correct title, but:

Suppose I do my keyword research and I find, e.g. "clothes in small size" is a desirable market, so I go off and register clothesinsmallsize.com

But if I also find that "clothes in small sizes" all has a high search volume, though still much lower than my other keyword.

If I register clothesinsmallsizes.com that'll obviously help me in this market, but am I going to lose some SEO juice in the "clothes in small size" compared to the first site name, since my domain's no longer an exact match for the keyword?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Hi MOH,
    from my own experience if you decide to run with one domain-I would run with the plural as if you do your job on SEO correctly (and you appear to realise the value already of a domain with keywords) then it should be possible to rank for both. Its harder to rank for the plural term if its not in the domain. Obviously there is a lot more to ranking than just the domain name but again I'd run with the plural in the name going from past experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭badinfleunce

Register the plural as already mentioned and create a page for the singular with title and H1 tags for the singular keyphrase. Create contextual links from both pages to both pages enforcing the onsite link building.
    url: "www.clothesinsmallsizes.com/clothes_in_small_size"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Shaneod21

Go with the plural! Just make sure tags, site desc all are keyword optimised along with your content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SwearImNotPaul

Content is most important, more so than the domain itself. So as long as you have the content, the actual domain shouldn't matter as much.

That said, it definitely will help. I'd advise you to go with the plural rather than the singular.

Advertisement