Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Phone Rental

Options
  • 09-09-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm chartering a yacht to the Antarctic peninsula this January and will be making trips to the mainland for trekking and mountaineering. We will require a satellite phone for keeping contact with our vessel. A quick Google search uncovers a lot of websites offering satellite phone rental, although anything I can find seem to be American or UK sites quoting prices in dollars or sterling. Has anybody rented a satellite phone before and have any advice to give? Are there any companies in Ireland offering such a service?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

i'd say you're probably better off buying a 9505A or 9555 on ebay, keeping it in perfect condition and selling it. buy a 75 minute sim card with it which stays valid for one month

You will need an Iridium phone, they are the only ones that work that far down. don't get the 9500, they are terrible my da rented one before and the crowd he rented from charged $5 per minute for the calls (you pay about $1.75 with this 30-day sim). and the 9500 also can't send texts

you have to charge them every single day.

iridium coverage at the poles will be excellent because thats where the satellites all congregate

Advertisement