Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Democracy/Marmite

Options
  • 09-09-2009 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Chinese%20Democracy.jpg

You either love it or you hate it!

Do you see it as a legitimate GnR album or what happens when Axl has too much time on his hands?

Personally I love it! Its no Appetite, and there are some weaker tracks (Street of Dreams, This I Love) but overall I think it slots in nicely with the rest of my catalogue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭loudog

I think its a good attempt on axl's side, but he will never be able to produce any album with the real guns n roses spirit without slash and Duff..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

To be honest I see it as an Axl Rose album. The biggest loss that Axl has had musically, in my opinion was not Slash.

Not having Duff McKagan around was that biggest loss.

CD is an average album for me, only getting on the radar due to who made it. If the same album was released by a smaller name, then chances are it would not get much discussion time, I feel the same way about Metallica's Death Magnetic.

As for it being marmite, well I am very indifferent towards it, so would fall into neither the love it or hate it camps. And this is from a guy who loved Appetite after having my first blast of GNR in a live setting at Donnington in 1988.

As an aside, what a hell of a line up that day. Ahh the memories :)

I agree with that...Slash did a great job with Velvet and Slash's Snakepit but I like Duff Mckagan's loaded better..

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Don't like it... It's a bunch of session musicians having a go at keeping Axyl's head above water..

Pretty much yes...And his voice is not what it used to be, he can barely use the intro to patience these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Kess73 wrote: »
    To be honest I see it as an Axl Rose album. The biggest loss that Axl has had musically, in my opinion was not Slash.

Not having Duff McKagan around was that biggest loss.

CD is an average album for me, only getting on the radar due to who made it. If the same album was released by a smaller name, then chances are it would not get much discussion time, I feel the same way about Metallica's Death Magnetic.

As for it being marmite, well I am very indifferent towards it, so would fall into neither the love it or hate it camps. And this is from a guy who loved Appetite after having my first blast of GNR in a live setting at Donnington in 1988.

As an aside, what a hell of a line up that day. Ahh the memories :)

Totally agree with this. I was - and still am - totally under-awed by Death Magnetic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

I think it would be a good axl rose solo album, but being under the guns name it's not good as its a let down axl just took the name its not the band or anything like old guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I personally love it, it was always going to be the next progression of guns I reckon. Sur isnt that why slash left the band in the first place because Axel wanted to make a rock album meets nine inch nails....i think in a kind of way thats what we got(well theres some electronic influence there anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Justin5150

Patricide wrote: »
    I personally love it, it was always going to be the next progression of guns I reckon. Sur isnt that why slash left the band in the first place because Axel wanted to make a rock album meets nine inch nails....i think in a kind of way thats what we got(well theres some electronic influence there anyway).

Slash said that he left Guns because he simply couldnt put up with the melodrama that surrounded everything to do with GNR at the time. He said in his autobiography that he would have being up for anything at all as long as something actually got done. But nothing did so he left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Justin5150 wrote: »
    Slash said that he left Guns because he simply couldnt put up with the melodrama that surrounded everything to do with GNR at the time. He said in his autobiography that he would have being up for anything at all as long as something actually got done. But nothing did so he left.
    Hmmm, dunno where I read the thing about axel wanting it to go in a nine inch nails direction being the reason for slash leaving....I stand corrected i imagine...

• Advertisement

In Slash's auto biography he says he couldn't put up with axl trying to change the band and all the drama, he's cool about it saying that only he and the band members can say bad stuff about axl because they know what happen and that everyone else should just shut up and try to understand what happen. He was also rather pissed off about axl taking the band name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

its a meh album. We probably wouldnt have heard of it if it was the first album by a new band, but there you go. Not awful, not great. IMO once slash left its an insult to use the GNR name as its not really GNR now. He should have called it the Axl Rose show or something ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

loudog wrote: »
    I think its a good attempt on axl's side, but he will never be able to produce any album with the real guns n roses spirit without slash and Duff..

Dont forget Izzy Stradlin.
    I wont even listen to chinese democracy, was the biggest ever GNR fan growing, Axl on his own making an album doesnt interest me.
    Its sacrilegious that he even still uses the name Guns n Roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Justin5150 wrote: »
    You either love it or you hate it!
    I can't agree with that statement. While I don't love the album, I certainly don't hate it. I would rate it a bit above average.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I think it is a total grower

Advertisement