Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace UPC Cisco Modem?

Options
  • 09-09-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    Just wondering if anyone has sucessfully replaced the UPC Cisco Modem with something else?
    It really is terrible. It can't handle multiple connections and if i'm downloading / uploading then surfing the net times out and I can't surf any more!! Really annoying! - maybe it's some settings in my client or on the modem it's self, but if not, just wondering what people are using instead or if you can use something else.

Cheers,
    B.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You cannot replace a cable modem, all you can do is add an additional router.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Crap... really?
    I have an Airport Extreme hooked up to it, but if the modem can't handle alot of connections (e.g. while Bittorrenting) then surely adding additional Router isn't going to help as it's all still going through the same Modem at the end of the day.

That's disappointing.
    Are their any other options?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

You can disable the wireless function in the cisco modem and just use your own router.

Gdep wrote: »
    You can disable the wireless function in the cisco modem and just use your own router.

I have done, but my wireless still has to be routed through the Cisco to get online, hence the problem of the Cisco being rubbish and unless it can be replaced it's going to be an ongoing problem is it not!?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Gdep

Well a fix was implemented last night to try and improve the cisco modem so maybe if you reboot the modem you may see an improvement. you wont get a replacement modem (ie Scientific Atlanta)unless there is physically a fault with cisco one.

One thing I have noticed using the 20mb connection and using flashget as a download manager, i sometimes cannot browse on the internet simultaneously while downloading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Gdep wrote: »
    Well a fix was implemented last night to try and improve the cisco modem so maybe if you reboot the modem you may see an improvement. you wont get a replacement modem (ie Scientific Atlanta)unless there is physically a fault with cisco one.

One thing I have noticed using the 20mb connection and using flashget as a download manager, i sometimes cannot browse on the internet simultaneously while downloading.

Limit your upload speed in flashget. Judge what your average top speed is while downloading & limit it to about 1mb below that to leave you (and anyone else using the connection) some overhead for browsing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have an Airport Extreme hooked up to it, but if the modem can't handle alot of connections (e.g. while Bittorrenting)

If you let Bittorrent max out your upload (in particular), then changing the modem won't help, as a new modem will be swamped too. Limit the speed for any one application, especially on the upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Im having issues with torrents on UPC as well (same modem of course).

I can safely say im not choking the connection with my upload and i have kept connected peers low too to see if it sorts it out. No joy.

I would have to say its just not a great router. There are plenty of routers out there that arent great for handling torrents, its not always down to user settings.

Although who knows maybe he is choking the bandwidth.

Nope...
    Not choking my bandwith, have set pretty ridged settings that worked for years on Smart (was always able to download / upload a surf without any issues).
    Same PC, Same Router, just different Modem, so i'm assuming that's my problem and a very annoying one at that... my ratio is dropping like crazy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I'm having this issue too with the Cisco modem. Like the other guys, I'm definitely not choking my downstream/upstream, it simply can't handle multiple connections well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lazyQuestions

anyone have any joy with this?

I have a cisco cable router (combines the modem and router into one). same problems as the the comments above but shocked to see they were from september 09. It cuts out temporarily every now and then regardless of downloading or uploading. Just signed up to upc last week and the same story still.... Have they not learned anything?

Must ring them, not gonna continue the contract if they dont replace it with something that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Then hook one of the ports on the cisco to the WAN port of another router. Also disable wireless on the Cisco.
    Job done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Simply disable IP flood detection on the Cisco.
    No need for anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭lazyQuestions

cheers, willl try the ip flood setting first and let you know how i get on. upc is down at the moment so will post when its back up and running.

Advertisement