Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making replacement cases?

Options
  • 09-09-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

I absolutely hate loose carts. I've come to term with Nintendo carts because it's a simple fact of life that cardboard is one of the crappest forms of long term storage.

However, Megadrive carts are a totally different matter. Plastic clamshell cases with lovely exterior artwork. How any games ever ended up without one of these cases I'll never know. (Do you throw out your dvd case and just keep the disc????)

Anyway, ranting aside - I've decided to find a case and make a repro cover for all my loose megadrive games. This will involve buying some crappy old sports game for the clamshell and replacing the cover. I think I can sleep well at night knowing that my copies of Probotector and MUSHA are now boxed and a few less copies of Madden (Insert whatever year/league) exist in the world.

Just wondering, has anyone else done anything like this? Did you find anywhere that does decent high rest scans of videogame covers?

Or am I just a freak who needs to spend less time farting around with his carts and just playing them instead? :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭djsim

Hello o1s1n,

Nope you are not alone. I hate having loose games around the place. I had a Tendency to come home after "heavy" a nite out, making a sambo and turn on my Dreamcast for a bit of old schooling. I would make up in the morning to find my DC still powered on and the case in 50 pcs on the ground:rolleyes:

Anyways, I have used this site for years and it is sill going strong:

www.cdcovers.cc

Okay, it doesnt go past the DC or GC era but at least it is a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,632 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nice one! Thanks :)

That covers section they have looks great. Will use it to replace some Playstation covers I'm missing/have destroyed over the years.

Just need to sort out a cheap way of mass printing now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭djsim

No probs - Enjoy.

They used to also have "Replacement" CD covers (hence the name) but that section was blocked a few years back, I wonder why;)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

I get most of my PS 1&2,xbox covers from www.FreeCovers.net The selection is'nt as large as www.cdcovers.cc but the quality is a little better,and there's some nice custom covers too.Other places I go are........
    www.thecoverproject.net - excellent site console and handheld.
    www.covertarget.com - A mixture of new and old.
    www.covergalaxy.com - 3do,GC,DC,
    Hope that helps ;)

Master of the Universe

The cover proect has a load of Megadrive/Genesis stuff. Brillant, thanks! Exactly what I need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Dark Savior

Yeah,they sure have some great hi-res quality stuff on there.Now if only I could buy about 40 megadrive cases in bulk lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I usually just put loose carts in a shoebox (I have 5 sisters and hence have about 5 million shoeboxes) but it does bother you a little that you don't have the original box for something.

Master of the Universe

That red shoebox in your photo? funnily enough, when I saw it the first thing I thought was 'I have an identical red shobox for my Megadrive carts!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Haha, yeah it's a Nike shoebox, it's sturdy enough too. It used to house my Game Gear, GB Colour, GBA, DS and Wonderswan, but I've since sold on my Game Gear. How do you go about making a replacement case for stuff like Mega-Drive carts? I assume you would just take a normal MD case of some game you didn't want and just change the covers?

Master of the Universe

Yep that's exactly it. There are thousands of crappy sports games floating around out there that have perfectly usable clamshell cases. And they can be picked up for nothing.

Actually I'm suprised the folks who made Beggar Price went to the effort of manufacturing new cases instead of harvesting old ones.

Usually sacrificing games annoys me, but when it comes to things like Madden and Premiere Manager I seriously couldn't care.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

i say some of the games where ex rental games,i remember my local video store used to put the games into ordinary video cases when you rented them out...

Advertisement