Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp in my apartment

Options
  • 09-09-2009 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello

I have damp on a wall in my apartment. Paint is peeling.

The management co came out and cleared the drains. They reckon
    the damp will reside now.

But how can I prove this? I want to replaster/paint asap. Ideally, before
    paying for this, I'd like to know the damp problem is really solved.

Any ways to test damp is really gone?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Do you open windows when cooking or drying clothes indoors ? - if not you will get damp from condensation . we have to live a little differently in our apartments vs the houses we grew up in - there is less volume in an apartment and so lack of ventilation will cause damp much quicker

Rule this out first before suspecting a construction defect

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Where is the damp? Is it adjoining another wall outside whre maybe there is a dodgy construction detail. I guess it coming from low down if drains were blamed. Whats the ground level outside compared to your floor level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DeVilliers

Thanks for your quick responses.

The window is always open so that's not the problem. There is no evidence of condensation.

I am in the basement and my floor is level with outside for 10 feet. Then there are steps up to the garden. I have been told that the neighbours upstairs (just under the building roof) have really bad damp (much worse than mine). So I guess that would strongly indicate the blocked drains were the problem.

But even if it was the case as you suggest, and I fixed it as you suggest, how would I actually know the damp has gone.

Damp has caused the paint/plaster to crack. I'm told the damp has been taken care of but the paint/plaster is still cracked. How do I know the damp is actually gone? Is there anyone to prove this besides fixing it and waiting to see if the damp comes back?

I am worried that if I fix it now then it will come back and I've wasted my money.

I guess in every case of damp you must come across this problem. Do I need to just take a punt and see what happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

You can and should hire a damp meter before decorating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Was it a <SNIP> built Apartment if so dodgy construction

No more comments like this please. Infraction given

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Please don't do that, Hootanany.......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would be alittle afraid of this dampness with it being a basement property. If you have bad workmanship re the tanking (waterproofing) of the walls & floor, it could be a very major headache.

Advertisement