Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4 using oil

Options
  • 09-09-2009 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

I bought a 2005 A4 2.0 tdi some time back and it seems to be using oil.

There has been about 7000 kms driven on it since i bought it and this is the second time that the add oil light has come on and it was serviced in between also , There is 104000 mls on the clock,it has a full service history it drives perfectly and is clean(no excessive emissions)and its not leaking oil

Anybody know what the story is with this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

There's another thread running at the moment saying its grand to drive an Audi for 30,000 km without a service, might just have something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There has been about 7000 kms driven on it since i bought it and this is the second time that the add oil light has come on and it was serviced in between also , There is 104000 mls on the clock,it has a full service history it drives perfectly and is clean(no excessive emissions)and its not leaking oil

What oil are you topping up with? If it's not the correct grade (5W30 I think) it will just burn through it in no time.

If you are using the correct oil, it should be OK for a while - unless there is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

R.O.R wrote: »
    What oil are you topping up with? If it's not the correct grade (5W30 I think) it will just burn through it in no time.

If you are using the correct oil, it should be OK for a while - unless there is a problem.

Yes i think it is 5w40 full synthetic but im not sure as i brought it to a garage the past 2 times 2b sure 2b sure and each time they put a liter into it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Was it serviced with the correct oil do you know?

A litre top up sounds quite a lot. I have an '03 1.8T petrol and they use a bit of oil, I've to top up maybe half a litre every few thousand miles. It's normal according to the manual and what I've read.

We've also got an '06 2.0TDi and it hasn't needed to be topped up yet (around 7k since we bought it I'd say).

For future services, insist on the VW spec oil for the oil change. You can get Halfords own brand for a lot cheaper than the Mobil/Castrol etc. stuff, and it conforms to the VW spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The 2 litre TDI is renowned for using a lot of oil. No matter who services it! It's just something you'll have to live with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Gings

I had a similar problem with my 04 A3 2.0TDI, 100K miles.

It was an ex-lease with "full service history". Turned out the filters hadn't been changed in years, (its awkward and messy to get to the oil and fuel filter so it gets "skipped" by some dodgey mechanics). I had these changed and full oil change and had no more problems since (20K miles).

My Bro since bought an A4 2.0TDI with the same problem, he had the filters changed with the same mechanic as myself and hasn't had any problems since.

I'd say start with a mechanic you know to be good, who will put the effort into servicing it properly.

Is there any chance it could be something like this...(from another site)

Oil usage in 2005-2007 2.0T engines (Audi, Passat, Golf) is due to poorly closing, or not closing PCV valve (also referred to as crankcase ventillation pump). Audi modified the PCV valve to get rid of the problem. Installing this $75 part has solved my problem. I am now demanding that Audi compensate me for parts and labor. This is a design fault that Audi evidently knew about as proven by the redesign.

Also this http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/audi-a4/TBIH0F9LPNHIBLUEV

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

It's a good idea to check your oil weekly, it's not good to wait for an oil light to come on, damage could be done by then ;)

VAG engines do seem to use oil, I've a 1.8t and it uses a bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

Is there any chance it could be something like this...(from another site)

Oil usage in 2005-2007 2.0T engines (Audi, Passat, Golf) is due to poorly closing, or not closing PCV valve (also referred to as crankcase ventillation pump). Audi modified the PCV valve to get rid of the problem. Installing this $75 part has solved my problem. I am now demanding that Audi compensate me for parts and labor. This is a design fault that Audi evidently knew about as proven by the redesign.

Also this http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/audi-a4/TBIH0F9LPNHIBLUEV

This is regarding petrol engines. Your's is a diesel.

Can anybody help me with this?

• Advertisement

Neilw wrote: »
    It's a good idea to check your oil weekly, it's not good to wait for an oil light to come on, damage could be done by then ;)

VAG engines do seem to use oil, I've a 1.8t and it uses a bit too.

Does it use much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I have the same car, same year, less miles (82000) but the same issue. I had to top it up twice before my last service, although I did go 3000 miles over the interval. I just always have some oil in the boot if it happens. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Neilw

Does it use much?

Maybe half a cup full every couple of thousand miles, sometimes needs a slight top up after a long run.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Neilw wrote: »
    Maybe half a cup full every couple of thousand miles, sometimes needs a slight top up after a long run.

Sounds Normal to me and VAG cars ive owned ate oil having to put 500ml in every 5k

Advertisement