Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Books

Options
  • 09-09-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

I have just finished my exams and have a load of medical books. Anyone know the best place to sell such books?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Try chapters on parnell st (if you're in teh pale). Vibes and scribes in cork take second hand books, but im not sure if they take much in the way of college texts.

Most college student unions run a bookshop. you'll probably get teh best prices here, but you'll have to wait until someone buys your book.

also, try adverts.ie

you can offer to sell in bulk or one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 KarenWatson

Tree wrote: »
    Try chapters on parnell st (if you're in teh pale). Vibes and scribes in cork take second hand books, but im not sure if they take much in the way of college texts.

Most college student unions run a bookshop. you'll probably get teh best prices here, but you'll have to wait until someone buys your book.

also, try adverts.ie

you can offer to sell in bulk or one by one.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I'd keep them unless you need the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I'd keep them unless you need the cash.

After 17 years tallaght I just dumped them, rare;ly used them in the interval, dont think I am going to win the nobel so my autographed textbooks wont be worth anything

Needed the shelf space so hasta la vista baby

For OP they will be useful for next two years for some of your postgrad exams and after that bin them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Seems a waste to bin them, why not donate them to a library or oxfam or something?

• Advertisement

Bin was strong word, they went in to recycle book bin in Ballyogan, too old to be of use to med students here, wouldnt sell in OXFAM really

Yea I tend to keep textooks for a couple of years max. No point in sending them to poor countries, as stuff changes at such a fast pace now.Books go out of date very quickly. 2 or 3 years is usually how I long I give before a replacement is needed.

Though I'm blessed in public health, because a lot of our vaccines have been around a long time, and the early immunology studies are still relevant. That kind of thing takes up a lot of my reading time. Other biggie would be communicable disease. The managment of meningo, pertussis, rabies exposure, measle etc from the public health point of view doesn't change very quickly.

But paeds book, especially neonataes, were becoming becoming obsolete as soon as they went on the shelves.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Yea I tend to keep textooks for a couple of years max. No point in sending them to poor countries, as stuff changes at such a fast pace now.Books go out of date very quickly. 2 or 3 years is usually how I long I give before a replacement is needed.

Though I'm blessed in public health, because a lot of our vaccines have been around a long time, and the early immunology studies are still relevant. That kind of thing takes up a lot of my reading time. Other biggie would be communicable disease. The managment of meningo, pertussis, rabies exposure, measle etc from the public health point of view doesn't change very quickly.

But paeds book, especially neonataes, were becoming becoming obsolete as soon as they went on the shelves.

On another note I am a member of a few royal colleges and get their journals, also have access on line which I do read, dont read the paper any more

Met with a publisher recently who was investigating possibility of packing them up and bringing them to Africa, he wanted to find out how many doctors would do same and would they do it consistently, on that basis they could get libraries supplied consistently for little cost.

drzhivago wrote: »
    On another note I am a member of a few royal colleges and get their journals, also have access on line which I do read, dont read the paper any more

Met with a publisher recently who was investigating possibility of packing them up and bringing them to Africa, he wanted to find out how many doctors would do same and would they do it consistently, on that basis they could get libraries supplied consistently for little cost.

It's a good idea. The Lancet gives a lot of free online access to people in developing countries but I think they're the exception rather than the rule.

Advertisement