Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VNC connection problem

Options
  • 09-09-2009 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Im trying to use real vnc to connect to my home pc from work.

I tried connect to my pc with my laptop from within my own network but using the external ip and port number and it worked fine.

Now at work Im trying it but to no avail. I cant ping my home network external ip address, but i CAN ping the default gateway.

I have a static IP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Probably to do with your work's network restrictions. Most companies block ports for security reasons.
    Try LogMeIn instead as it uses commonly used ports, so it may get through the restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

+1 for logmein ... free , easy and a gift to use

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭johnmd

Vnc uses port 5900 by default so you would have to open that port on your home firewall and then NAT it into the IP address of the local machine in your home office.
    Actually if its a windows box you would be better using RDP as its quicker of the WAN that VNC.
    A far more secure way would be to use either teamviewer,or gotomypc etc.This way there is no messing about with opening ports etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Maboza

+1 for logmein. flawless.

Advertisement