Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mercury Prize?!

Options
  • 09-09-2009 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

So the winner is Speech Debelle?! Dont know much about her...can anyone tell me is she a worthy winner. Is it a case that the judges like to go against the general concensus of the people or is this album better than 'Lungs', 'Friendly Fires', 'West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum' etc. Now I know they're looking for a complete album but I mean Lungs for me is a complete album...any bad tracks on it?...I dont see any!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Maybe you should become a Mercury Prize judge to right this injustice.

I'm sure the panel thought it was a better album. Just because you yourself think that Lungs should have won doesn't mean everyone does.

Have you listened to all the albums that were nominated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FeistyOneYouAre

Maybe you should become a Mercury Prize judge to right this injustice.

I'm sure the panel thought it was a better album. Just because you yourself think that Lungs should have won doesn't mean everyone does.

Have you listened to all the albums that were nominated?

Lets be honest, if it was put to the public Speech Debelle definitely wouldn't have won.

And I was clearly asking is it worth the prize above the rest. I'm not saying its not but i'm wondering is there anyone familiar with the album who can tell me how good it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Lets be honest, if it was put to the public Speech Debelle definitely wouldn't have won.

Yes but it's not a public vote - that's the point. If it was then it would have no more relevance than the MTV music awards and you'd get people like Black Eyed Peas winning it.

I haven't heard the album myself so can't comment on whether it's better than any of the others. Although personally I thought some of the inclusions this year weren't up to scratch at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Virtually nobody has heard the album but I will say that any of the albums that I did hear on the list were not mercury prize material and if this Speech Debelle album is actually a good female rap album then she deserves to win because decent female rap is almost non existant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FeistyOneYouAre

Yes but it's not a public vote - that's the point. If it was then it would have no more relevance than the MTV music awards and you'd get people like Black Eyed Peas winning it.

Ye but you said just because I like dosen't mean everyone does. And in reply I said basically 90% of people would rather Lungs than Speech Therapy. Mainly because it is a virtually unknown album. I'll try have a listen to the album and I'll be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think the Horrors deserved it. Primary colours is brilliant from start to finish. Though, I too haven’t heard the winner, so I can’t comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Bubs101 wrote: »
    if this Speech Debelle album is actually a good female rap album then she deserves to win because decent female rap is almost non existant

Yeah but remember the last female rapper to win was Ms. Dynamite. She was pretty good but her career wasn't long going down the drain.

Haven't heard Speech Debelle's album but will probably check it out. If it's good enough to beat Two Suns it must be pretty damn excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I'm still bitter that Doves weren't nominated :mad:

A surprising result anyway, I'll have to give the winning album a listen before I can say if it was a good decision

Advertisement