Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tat-Is this meant to happen?

Options
  • 09-09-2009 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Got a new Tattoo on sunday. Took cling film off last night and doused it in Bepantnene last night and this morning. Just noticed that there is a dry/peeling effect starting to happen. Should I be worried or is this normal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

yeah. mine did that too and i panicked. think there has to be a certain amount of Scabbiness/peeling. I lobbed on Eight hour cream after day 3 and it sorted mine out and stopped god damn itch ! Bepanthen will do job too just probably need to apply more often and might take longer. how many days with cling film on ?
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Had the cling film on for 3 days. Took it off as it said to do so on aftercare sheet. Just heaped a load of bepanthen on it now. Hope My tatoo isn't ballsed up!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Scabbing is pretty normal. Just don't pick at it or scratch it, and keep it well moisturised with bepanthen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

For the love of God dont "heap a lod of bepanthen on,".. apply a THIN COAT of the stuff! And 3 days with the cling film on is baaad news, please tell me you at least CHANGED the cling film every day, if not every few hours?! O.O

Its not scabbing, Its peeling, this is the norm, do not panic, do not pick, do no pick, DO NOT PICK!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

The urge to pick at it is awful i find...Never have though thank god!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

zero19 wrote: »
    The urge to pick at it is awful i find.!

Just hit it a smack, it really works!

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    For the love of God dont "heap a lod of bepanthen on,".. apply a THIN COAT of the stuff! And 3 days with the cling film on is baaad news, please tell me you at least CHANGED the cling film every day, if not every few hours?! O.O

Its not scabbing, Its peeling, this is the norm, do not panic, do not pick, do no pick, DO NOT PICK!

Was only following the instructions on the piece of paper they gave me after? It said to keep cling film on for at least 3 days, and change in regularly which I did.

Wont heap bepanthen if its not good for it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Thin layer of bepanthen, and any time it feels dry again, put another little layer on.
    And as QOTSA said, when it's itching, a little slap will help!

The dead dry skin should come off easily enough when you're washing the tattoo though, just rub it very gently with a little anti-bacterial liquid soapy water. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

I woke up the morning after getting my first, to find a giant black blob on my wrist.
    'OH FRAK' I thought, but I gave it a quick wash and all that had oozed out washed off :p I had no idea it oozed afterwards and just thought something had gone terribly wrong! haha

The scabbing it very normal, it is an open wound after all.
    Bepanthen is a wonder cream for it, and as others have suggested, a good smack will get rid of itching.

Post a pic up in the 'I'll show you mine' thread once it's healed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

Fiii wrote: »
    I woke up the morning after getting my first, to find a giant black blob on my wrist.
    'OH FRAK' I thought, but I gave it a quick wash and all that had oozed out washed off :p I had no idea it oozed afterwards and just thought something had gone terribly wrong! haha

The scabbing it very normal, it is an open wound after all.
    Bepanthen is a wonder cream for it, and as others have suggested, a good smack will get rid of itching.

Post a pic up in the 'I'll show you mine' thread once it's healed :)
    oh that happened to me too...nearly died of fright....PHEW :)

• Advertisement

So the flaky skin then..is it ok to was it off gently? Does that count as "picking" at it? Sorry fpr all the qs guys, im in virgin territory here

Washing it off gently is ok. Let the water and soap do their work. Don't use a sponge or face cloth or anything, just your hands, and be very gentle with it. Don't be tempted to rub hard or to try to peel off anything that isn't moving by itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chazz Reinhold

How long after getting the tattoo do you use the Bepanthen for?
    Mine will be 3 weeks old on Friday, still using it twice a day, that ok?
    Its not peeling at the moment, just looks like kind of shrivelled up skin on top of it.

If it looks like that, then it's not healed, so I'd continue with the gentle washes with the liquid soap (antibacterial) and the bepanthen. The washes, once a day should do at that stage, the bepanthen whenever it feels dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chazz Reinhold

Cheers for the advice Damo.
    I'm off on hols this day next week, you think it should it be healed up enough to go in the pool at that stage?

So long as the pool is not too chlorinated, I'd say you'd be safe enough at this stage as it should be mostly healed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

How long after getting the tattoo do you use the Bepanthen for?
    Mine will be 3 weeks old on Friday, still using it twice a day, that ok?
    Its not peeling at the moment, just looks like kind of shrivelled up skin on top of it.

Yikes!..

I'm booked in for a tattoo this coming Saturday, but haven't had one done in years so I couldn't remember the recovery time (is it even different on different parts of the body?).

I'm having one done on my calf, the back - soft fleshy part.

As I'm fighting (Judo) on October 3rd I asked would it be healed for that (plus training which will involve grappling) and was told it should be ok after one week.

Would it be normal for a three week healing process?.

Also 'bepanthen', excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of it. Can it be bought from the tattoo studio?.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Also 'bepanthen', excuse my ignorance but I've never heard of it. Can it be bought from the tattoo studio?.

It's actually a nappy rash cream. Any chemist will have it :)

As I'm fighting (Judo) on October 3rd I asked would it be healed for that (plus training which will involve grappling) and was told it should be ok after one week.

Healing times would vary from person to person, but not by huge amounts of time. I certainly wouldn't recommend training for Judo after a week, as your leg will almost certainly NOT be healed properly within that amount of time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Healing times would vary from person to person, but not by huge amounts of time. I certainly wouldn't recommend training for Judo after a week, as your leg will almost certainly NOT be healed properly within that amount of time!

Cheer's for that.

Its something I'd casually considered but the closer its getting to competition the more concerning it becomes as I try to fit in as much training as I can.

• Advertisement

No probs! I'd say schedule it for some time when you're going to be able to take a few weeks break from training, give it the best chance for healing without getting what would be major aggravations.

Advertisement