Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verify points results?

Options
  • 09-09-2009 2:55am

Is there any way I can find out how many points someone got in their LC? There's a notorious boaster living near me who swears he got a high total though he's doing a course that has a low points requirement. Is there any way I can check?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No, not unless he shows you a copy of his LC results.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Ask their mother :P
    A student in my mam's school told everyone she got an A in one of her subjects and her friends were talking to that subject teacher at the debs. They mentioned how lucky that girl was to get an A. The teacher promptly informed them that in fact she didn't get an A or anything near it. :cool: eejit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Is there any way I can find out how many points someone got in their LC? There's a notorious boaster living near me who swears he got a high total though he's doing a course that has a low points requirement. Is there any way I can check?

Does it really matter?

Also a student doesn't have to do a high points course just because they got high points in the Leaving Cert, maybe they'd be happier doing a less popular low points course.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Does it really matter?

Also a student doesn't have to do a high points course just because they got high points in the Leaving Cert, maybe they'd be happier doing a less popular low points course.

Just like moi. You sound jealous OP. You shouldn't really care what someone else got in their LC.
    Shouldn't affect you whatsoever. Besides when you get into college nobody talks about how many points you got in the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I have a mate who I know got less that 250 (because that was the points for his 1st choice, which is didn't get). Yet any time the rest of us repeats say what we got in some subject, he always claims to have done just as well as the rest of us (and we got well over 300).
    It's slightly annoying, but I guess he's just insecure and it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Lawliet wrote: »
    I have a mate who I know got less that 250 (because that was the points for his 1st choice, which is didn't get). Yet any time the rest of us repeats say what we got in some subject, he always claims to have done just as well as the rest of us (and we got well over 300).
    It's slightly annoying, but I guess he's just insecure and it.

Maybe he got the points but didn't meet the requirements, eg. failed Maths, didn't get a certain grade in a certain subject. Again, why do you care? Maybe he didn't do as well as the rest of you, but if he said that maybe you would all be gloating because of your higher points, so he would be justified in not saying what he got. You and your classmates are in no better a position anyway if you are all back repeating.

Also remember it's easy for people to swan around saying they got 300, 400, 500 points in the LC. There's a thread started in this forum nearly every year asking 'What points did you get?' It's nearly always started by someone who is in the upper range of points 450+, and the majority of replies are from people who are also in that range. It's easy to say what you got in the Leaving when you did well, it's not so easy to say you got 125 points, when you know that's near the bottom in your class or year at school. People who do not get a high points score in the Leaving because they find school difficult do not need that fact highlighted by their so called friends, it's probably hard enough to see classmates all excited on results day and making plans for college especially for a student who did not get high points and will possibly never get to study at third level, without having it rubbed in by higher achievers.

When I see my class results every August, the most satisfying ones are never the A grades. I'm delighted for the students who get them, they have put in the work, but their natural ability also helps. The most satisfying grade for me last year was a Higher Level D2 in Ag Science. The student did OL Science for JC and got a D. I told him he could pass higher level Ag for LC if he kept at it, and he struggled the whole way through, did mainly ordinary level subjects and foundation where possible, but kept plugging away at ag and was delighted to see the result on the day, especially when he saw 'brighter' students get the same as him. He was never going to go to college or wouldn't have had a high points score, but I'm sure had a lot of people saying afterwards 'there's no way he did higher level ag science, he wouldn't be able for that'

So stop being so concerned with other people's results, they're not concerned about yours

Nobody will ever ask you about your Leaving Cert results ever again after you leave school anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Maybe he got the points but didn't meet the requirements, eg. failed Maths, didn't get a certain grade in a certain subject. Again, why do you care? Maybe he didn't do as well as the rest of you, but if he said that maybe you would all be gloating because of your higher points, so he would be justified in not saying what he got. You and your classmates are in no better a position anyway if you are all back repeating.
    Jesus I was just saying, there's no need to attack me. I mean fair enough if he doesn't want to say what he got; no ones making him, but he doesn't have to lie about it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Jealousy is so unbecoming.

Take care of your own results and let everybody else take care of theirs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
    And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
    And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
    Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
    And - which is more - you'll be a Man my son!

Rudyard Kipling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement