Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving MIDI-based Sound on Modern Systems

Options
  • 09-09-2009 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

Something that really pissed me off for ages was the butchering of legacy gaming soundtracks that depended in MIDI when running in WinXP - DOSBox or otherwise.

Somebody with a lot more smarts than me had the same gripe and devised a fairly hefty but ingenious (and free) work-around. It runs as a service on start-up and eats about 8mb RAM, but the apps its based on are stable (I've used MIDI-YOKE for years for other stuff and it has never let me down.)

http://cinnamonpirate.com/2005/06/improving-midi-on-a-laptop

You can skip to the bottom of the article for a series of before and after MP3s to decided if its worth it or not. The FF7 PC issue has actually been sorted by a patch, but I can still see this being of use to fans of mid-90s abandonware.

Advertisement