Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rich Clementi to fight in Belfast Cage Wars

Options
  • 08-09-2009 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭

UFC veteran Rich Clementi (33-15-1) will return to action Nov. 29 when he faces Peter Duncan (4-5) at Cage Wars Championship in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

The U.K. based promotion has featured such veterans as Jeff Monson, Dan Severn, Cyrille Diabate, and Colin Robinson in its seven years of operation.

Two months removed from a shoulder injury, Clementi is anxious to get back in the cage.

“I’m aggravated,” Clementi told MMAWeekly.com. “Seeing Melvin (Guillard) headline the (UFC Fight Night 19) show, just the way things go down. The times I perform best is when I have that type of attitude.”

Clementi doesn’t know much about Duncan, but is more than confident he’ll emerge victorious on the fall card.

“He’s primarily an Ireland jiu-jitsu guy,” Clementi said with a laugh. “So, I’m pretty confident that this should be a good victory for me. But hell, look at my last fight. I thought the same thing. I picked a guy up to slam him and hurt myself and it got marked as a loss. It’s a crazy business.”

Clementi said his shoulder held up fine in the absolute division of a jiu-jitsu tournament held recently in his home state of Louisiana. Not usually keen on overseas travel, he made the exception for Northern Ireland.

“I’m not a big fan of Europe in general,” he said. “I’ve spent a lot of time over there in the military. But I was really impressed with Ireland in the times I went out there with the UFC, so I was really excited by the opportunity.”

In the meantime, Clementi is set to open a new Gladiators MMA school in Mandeville, La., with former UFC heavyweight champion Ricco Rodriguez, who recently moved to the southern state. The school opens in the second week of October.

Clementi said the Belfast event will be offered on pay-per-view.

“It’s kind of like a comeback fight for me,” he said.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=9532&zoneid=13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Good news, i like Rich!

As a fighter, his personaliy makes him slightly annoying though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

anyone been to(or know of) any previous fights in the kings hall?

Last couple of times I've been to it have been for gigs. John Duddy fought there few years back, think it was supposed to be quite well run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Was there wan Severn Headlined against Colin, Was very well run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

MrStuffins wrote: »
    As a fighter, his personaliy makes him slightly annoying though!

He just cant get no love at all........

......I will get my coat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Cage Wars is always a cracker event.
    I think they put on the best show in Ireland. From a spectators point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

“He’s primarily an Ireland jiu-jitsu guy,” Clementi said with a laugh. “So, I’m pretty confident that this should be a good victory for me.

Rich seems to have selective memory.........he has obviously forgotten how well he performed on his last visit to a jiu jitsu class in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

weemate wrote: »
    “He’s primarily an Ireland jiu-jitsu guy,” Clementi said with a laugh. “So, I’m pretty confident that this should be a good victory for me.

Rich seems to have selective memory.........he has obviously forgotten how well he performed on his last visit to a jiu jitsu class in Ireland.

Never heard bout that. How exactly did it go?

not well.........on Rich's part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Lucky for him this is an mma fight and not a bjj tourny ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

What happened?

• Advertisement

From what I know,he went to the Gracie Barra class and rolled a bit with some of the guys.Im told he rolled with Graham and was pretty much schooled.I asked Graham about it and he ,as usual,just laughed it off.

Advertisement