Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Julian Plenti

Options
  • 08-09-2009 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

anyone has any comment on the parallel solo project of P. Banks?
    in my opinion it has Interpol written all over it, so it's not bad but it makes me think about the (short) future of one of my favourite bands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 perfect_circle

i was expecting a bit more from the album tbh.. only if you run and games for days are my 2 fav songs on the album. there are definitely some resemblences to interpol but i wouldn't go as far as to say it has interpol written all over it.. its definitely a more mellow sound anyway. he'd be crazy to focus all his efforts on his solo project; interpol have a big fan base.
    aren't they working on a new album to be released in 2010?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Interpol is still ongoing, Paul is writing while doing this solo project. The tour will be short in comparison to the touring Interpol do. The band have already had over 6 months of writing and rehearsing new material behind them and Paul shows no sign of the band going their seperate ways yet. I had feared after their appearance at Oxegen last year that they were on the way out but glad to know all is seemingly well in the camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

I gave to this album few listens in the last week and I have to say it is a delightful surprise. It is a solid, decent album, his voice still has "INTERPOL" written all over it...but there's an inventiveness here that is all his own.
    it gets better with each listen as the quiet complexity of each song reveals itself.
    It's in my personal top 10 of 2009 records.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Only given it one listen myself since I got it the other day. Doesn't sound too bad really, though I love Interpol so that's probably why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Really like this album, it takes a few listens definitely though. Only If You Run is a stormer of a track, as is Games For Days. The production is excellent throughout though but i think it also takes a few listens to get used to Banks singing over it rather than a vintage Interpol guitar sound.

Girl On The Sporting News may be the weirdest song ive ever heard Paul Banks on. But i kinda like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Sútalún

I've listened to it on and off since it first came out. I wouldn't agree with people who say it's all Interpol though. I mean there are a lot of songs that I wouldn't associate with the Interpol sound, save for Bank's voice. I would agree with other people though, Games for Days and Only if you Run being the standout tracks. Love the title track though and H! Bit different..in a good way.

Oh and seeing him live in December..any one else?? Should be good. Interesting anyway.

Sútalún wrote: »
    I've listened to it on and off since it first came out. I wouldn't agree with people who say it's all Interpol though. I mean there are a lot of songs that I wouldn't associate with the Interpol sound, save for Bank's voice. I would agree with other people though, Games for Days and Only if you Run being the standout tracks. Love the title track though and H! Bit different..in a good way.

Oh and seeing him live in December..any one else?? Should be good. Interesting anyway.

I'm going too, it's going to be v good I think.
    As I said, only a couple of songs are "interpol-y" (except for the voice), the remaining tracks are very original and experimental in their own way . It takes some time to get into this album but it is definitely a grower. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I got this album a while ago, absolutely LOVE it.
    I'd agree with Sútalún, it reeks of Interpol BECAUSE of Paul Bank's voice, but the songs themselves are quite different.

In any case, it's beautiful. Again, maybe I only think that because I love Interpol.
    Sútalún wrote: »

I'm very much so considering it. I'd imagine it'll be absolutely brilliant, only based on seeing Interpol as a whole live.
    The tickets are fairly reasonable too, but I'll have to wait 'til next week to buy one because funds are after getting a bit low for the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Really looking forward to the gig tonight. Anybody else going?

I

Really looking forward to the gig tonight. Anybody else going?

I

I can#t wait!!!! :D

• Advertisement

gret gig last night, paul was in a very good mood (as you can see from the pic), this is something you don't expect from him :D
    the band was OK, his voice and his look were not "interpol-ish" at all, at the end he got a very good response from the crowd in the Academy

8_3.jpg

Really enjoyed the gig last night. Paul was in great form, not his usual sombre self! Support act were quite poor in my opinion..worst I've seen in a while. Thought Julian and the band were great though and Paul really seemed genuinly impressed and surprised by the crowd's reaction. Played everything from the album and some covers and a new song I think. So cant complain. Strange to see him not wearing a suit too!

Blackpitts wrote: »
    gret gig last night, paul was in a very good mood (as you can see from the pic), this is something you don't expect from him :D
    the band was OK, his voice and his look were not "interpol-ish" at all, at the end he got a very good response from the crowd in the Academy

8_3.jpg

I thought he seemed genuinely and pleasantly suprised by the crowds interest. I really enjoyed it though, was kinda odd not to see Carlos swooping with his bass or Daniel in a perfect suit beside him but he made it his own. " Fun That We Have" and "Skyscraper" were my personal favorites. He's definately moved away from Interpol a bit but that's not a bad thing and from the interviews I've read their 4th album is coming along nicely. I was suprised how much he got out of the gig, after all, it's a short album! What Pixies cover was it that he did? I couldn't think of the name at the time. Here's to seeing him back with Daniel, Sam and Carlos very soon because as much as I enjoy Julian Plenti, I need some new Interpol!

I thought he seemed genuinely and pleasantly suprised by the crowds interest.

defo! i remember the last gig in Dublin with Interpol and he didn't interact at all with the crowd, but yesterday i saw him smiling!! :p
    I really enjoyed it though, was kinda odd not to see Carlos swooping with his bass or Daniel in a perfect suit beside him but he made it his own.

as i said, the band was just OK, the guitarist is a funny guy tho, i met him outside and he was really easy going

" Fun That We Have" and "Skyscraper" were my personal favorites. He's definately moved away from Interpol a bit but that's not a bad thing and from the interviews I've read their 4th album is coming along nicely. I was suprised how much he got out of the gig, after all, it's a short album! What Pixies cover was it that he did? I couldn't think of the name at the time. Here's to seeing him back with Daniel, Sam and Carlos very soon because as much as I enjoy Julian Plenti, I need some new Interpol!

+1!
    I'm going to upload 8 videos from last nite on youtube, so stay tuned!

did you read this Q&A on the Indo? very interesting

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/day-and-night/features/qampa-paul-banks-1956067.html

+1!
    I'm going to upload 8 videos from last nite on youtube, so stay tuned!

did you read this Q&A on the Indo? very interesting

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/day-and-night/features/qampa-paul-banks-1956067.html

Thanks for posting the link. Interesting read although the interview, as is generally the norm for Irish newspapers interviewing artists, seems to know **** all about Paul Banks.

Look forward to seeing your videos, judging by the picture, it looks like you were right beside me and I do vaguely remember somebody filming at length! I got a decent video of " Games For Days" but it's not the whole song.

Was the guitarist outside having a smoke or something? I have never seen a more un-Paul Banks type guitarist in my life!

Look forward to seeing your videos, judging by the picture, it looks like you were right beside me and I do vaguely remember somebody filming at length! I got a decent video of " Games For Days" but it's not the whole song.

I was just in the first row, just in front of the guitarist+bassist, so maybe it was me the guy you saw
    Was the guitarist outside having a smoke or something? I have never seen a more un-Paul Banks type guitarist in my life!

lol, completely right..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jpr1973

that guitarist looked like a nutjob tbh.. but fair play to him, he was good.

hey guys,
    as promised here there are few vids...i'm still loading the rest of them right now :cool:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlS8DH9N6BQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=selxQKFwKeA

Brilliant job, thanks for uploading them!!

• Advertisement

What did you record the videos on? The sound quality is excellent. That's my head in the beginning minutes of the opening video, taking pics.

My pics from the gig are here.

4154487255_d70e51dd22.jpg

4154485721_d013c3566a.jpg

4154483061_234db6d01c.jpg

What did you record the videos on? The sound quality is excellent. That's my head in the beginning minutes of the opening video, taking pics.

[/IMG][/URL]

my camera is a normal canon powershot, best money i've ever spent for a camera!
    i was just behind you...and i was just going to punch you in the head because you were always between me and Paul :p

anyway, if i'm not wrong you have an impressive canon as well

Sorry about that. First time getting a photo pass and I was delighted for it to be for Paul Banks. When I got out of the pit there were so many people watching the gig through their I-phones and cameras I couldn't get over it. I decided not to shoot the rest of it then from the crowd.

What kind of Powershot cause I had one (SX100 - now lost) and the video was shockingly bad, tiny, low res, awful sound.

Back on topic, I loved the translation of the songs from the record to live with the cello instead of keyboards/synths. Glad to see him sounding great on his own and getting great reactions for it. It might make him more at ease in Interpol from now on since he has gotten his own music out into the world finally.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20091204_julianplenti.shtml

[..]

" I've got this one-of-a-kind guitar player, that's left-handed but he just flips a regular guitar upside down and basically is playing a guitar backwards. He's got crazy skills he's a a really phenomenal guitarist." :D

[..]

Interpol are currently working on their fourth album, and commitments with them mean the Julian Plenti tour was inevitably short.

However Banks says there will be another Julian Plenti release in the future, and, now he's got his band, he'll be back with more dates too. :cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20091204_julianplenti.shtml

[..]

" I've got this one-of-a-kind guitar player, that's left-handed but he just flips a regular guitar upside down and basically is playing a guitar backwards. He's got crazy skills he's a a really phenomenal guitarist." :D

[..]

Interpol are currently working on their fourth album, and commitments with them mean the Julian Plenti tour was inevitably short.

However Banks says there will be another Julian Plenti release in the future, and, now he's got his band, he'll be back with more dates too. :cool:

Good news all round! Cheers boss! Mad to think so much of JP material was around before Interpol..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84K0b5ZRW7o

Advertisement