Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Hard Drive recovery

Options
  • 08-09-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had my gf's Maxtor 1TB external drive sitting on the couch beside me, and I stood up to get something and knocked it onto the floor. It started making a weird beeping noise, so I switched it off and on, and now its not recognised on my any of the three computers I've tried it on.

I left it a while and came back to it, but the situation hasn't resolved itself. We've about half the drive filled up with our music, holiday photos etc. Does anybody know where I could go to get this repaired? Preferably in the Portlaoise or Dublin City areas, and how much it might cost?

My GF is quietly fuming and I feel like absolute cr&p for killing her drive like this :(

Thanks!

(and please, nobody bother telling me we should have just had a backup, I know that and its killing me that I didn't get one :()
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

It's extremely expensive to recover data off damaged drives, if you google it you will get some suggestions you could try, but it'll be down to luck

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I had the exact same problem with this exact drive, In the end I cracked open the enclsure andinstalled the drive into my pc, I ran SpinRite on it for about 4 hours and whaen it had completed all my data had been restored and the drive seemed to be functioning correctly, eventualy about two months later the drive deteriorated and died completley.
    SpinRite is not cheep at $90 but it's worked several times for me on various different drives, You boot it from a usb and it interfaces with the drives S.M.A.R.T. functions directley. It employs a nuber of different strategies to recover data and can even get a partial read from a sector that refuses to give up it's data. you can pick it up from the developers site at www.GRC.com
    it's a lot cheeper than sending your drive to be rebuilt in a clean room.

Advertisement