Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car: BMW

Options
  • 08-09-2009 9:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to get a BMW 318ci coupe, although the mileage seems to be very expensive for the price. im thinking around the years 2000-2003. The average mileage on carzone is 100k, just wondering if ppl can let me know what should I be looking for in the car, how they run later in their lives, and how expensive they are to run. It'll be the first car Ill be actually looking for to buy, my last one was given to me, so basically any advice given will be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the 318ci underwent a facelift in 2003, what car you driving now? look to get one with a multi function steering wheel and leather interior...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..suspension wear on the front common. At that mileage usual suspects include discs, shocks, too. If manual, clutch.

Engine-wise watch for coolant system performance and leaks. Seems to have a fair few of those.

Can spring small oil leaks too. Not major, but annoying.

Coupe's can have rattly doors due to window guides wearing, and, being frameless, check seals for integrity and wind noise on the move.

Not that economical, btw, the 1.9. Think high 20's mpg.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

what kinda money have you got to play with?

i would highly recommond this one, but then again, i would be biased :D

facelift E46 really looks alot better than the version before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

100k miles on a 2000 reg petrol car is not excessive, that would be average for an almost 10 year old car.

Just make sure you go for a post 2000 model with the newer 2.0 litre engine. It is more powerful and economical than the previous 1.9 litre version. Kceire's one looks very nice and comes with a nice spec too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

galwaytt wrote: »
    Not that economical, btw, the 1.9. Think high 20's mpg.

... if you drive it like a dog,

be reasonable and mid - late thirties is easy, over 40 is possible on long motorway trips.

• Advertisement

the engine upgrade applies to all 2002 cars onwards... went from 1.9L 118bhp to 2.0L 143 bhp...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Fishtits wrote: »
    ... if you drive it like a dog,

be reasonable and mid - late thirties is easy, over 40 is possible on long motorway trips.

I had an E36 1997 coupe and regularly clocked 35 mpg. Mine actually had 140k miles on the clock, but drove very well. Mileage isn't really a huge matter with these cars as long as they've been maintained.

I test drove a few 2000 coupes when looking to replace it and I really liked them. Bottom price would be c€6k (maybe less if you bargain). Suspension and front steering issues are common at that age but very dealable with.

Try and go for the 2l version if you can stretch to it.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/Ci-Coupe/200823189071861/advert?channel=CARS

nice car, cheapest 04 on carzone. alot nicer than some of the pricier ones for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mick4_2000

EDIT Picture is in Km and advert in Mls.

Also no pictures of the interior. And those wheels are awful.
    But it is good value for what your getting

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

Right so in conclusion im looking for (Preferably) is a 2.0L and at least 2003 because of the new engine. but to be aware that the coupes do have trouble with the doors because of the lack of frame and front suspension is something to think about but can be usually dealt with easily. In terms of bang for ur buck with petrol, looking at high 20's mpg. in saying that, wouldnt I be getting less distance for a higher engine around city traffic?

I took out a loan for 8 grand. Im currently driving a mazda 121 1.3L that has about 23k miles, 2003. It was my grans car originally. Has a few scrathes though. What should I expect for it?

Cheers guys for the info. My sisters bf just told me theyre getting BMWs into the garage all the time for problems and he pretty much has recommended not to get one. Anyone else agree with that?

Oh and one more thing, would a saloon be a better buy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I didn't think they were still selling mazda 121's in 2003?

malin182 wrote: »
    In terms of bang for ur buck with petrol, looking at high 20's mpg. in saying that, wouldnt I be getting less distance for a higher engine around city traffic?
    DEfinitely 30-35 mpg at the least.

Oh and one more thing, would a saloon be a better buy?

In my experience, the coupes are more fun.

I didn't think they were still selling mazda 121's in 2003?

They were indeed, the same model as the pre 2000 Fiestas. Theyre going on carzone for €3000, and with the mileage on my car id say ill get a nice price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..... In terms of bang for ur buck with petrol, looking at high 20's mpg. in saying that, wouldnt I be getting less distance for a higher engine around city traffic?

Sorry, clarification needed here. The figure I quoted was from sis-in-law's 318Ci, automatic, and that's commuting mileage.

No, the big engines aren't necessarily worse, actually. She now has a 323Ci, and it's within 1mpg of the 1.9. Again, we're talking automatic and commuting.

It's all very well quoting 'I can get' and long run figures, but, the figures I'm talking about are what she gets 99% of the time in school runs, traffic jams, and commuting.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They were indeed, the same model as the pre 2000 Fiestas. Theyre going on carzone for €3000, and with the mileage on my car id say ill get a nice price.

There is usually a big difference between what somebody asks for on carzone and the price the car actually sells for. Carzone is full of dreamers and I doubt a 03 Mazda 121 will fetch €3k, more close to €2.5k I would image.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

Hi can someone tell me what the difference is between running a diesel and petrol car other than price, I have been looking at BMW 318'ci's to buy and well have only ever driven petrol cars, currently have a 1.6 Seat Leon so wondering if I am going to be going to a 2.0l car should be I entertaining the idea of a diesal BMW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Hi guys,

there have been quite few thread like this lately so not wanting to start another thead i thought i could throw my questions in here considering its the saem type of car i am looking at.

I quite like the cars below and was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on them ie if they are good cars. I would also like to know if there is anything i should upgrade or change if i do buy one. It should also be noted that i like the boot on this one bacause i have dogs.

thanks to anyone who advises.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/316ti-%22-/200934194983604/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/316ti-Co/200932194850689/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/316-TI-C/200934194965811/advert?channel=CARS

Thanks for the help guys, I am picking up my new car tomorrow evening. 2001 2L coupe, topaz blue, LEDs installed, half leather and 60k on the clock. Was selling for €8750, got it down to €5500 with the 121!

Sounds good - good luck driving it - that's great mileage for the age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Advertisement

Bad news guys, when I bought the car it was fine at first, but then whenI went out to it later the car wouldnt start! Not even a rev from the accelerator! Go tmy mate up and he said it might be to do with the ecu, more than likely. Gonna bring it to a mechanic 2m for a diagnostic. The garage where I got it from doesnt think itll be a big problem and that they can prob fix it, but I dunno, they are ok with me getting the old car back and my money, what u guys reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 webfeet2

great car, the average milage driven per year is 10-15 k so 100 k fo a 00 to 02 is fine.The more important thing would be a service record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

any thoughts on this, is it overpriced and what is a reasonable price.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200936195117924

killme00 could I ask you why you would the compact instead of the coupe? I bought a coupe last year, a beautfiul example, but none the less, its dropped by about €4000 in value, now somebody who didnt know about the cars or didnt do any research might well pay a bit more, but I really would consider what your paying, cause the value of the car only next year, will probably be substantially less!

was just taking a look around on carzone for you! take a look at the below link, same colour as the ti and a nice car with reasonable mileage, that when you go on to sell it will be alot more desirable than the ti

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/3-Series/318Ci--N/200935195056793/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.swiftcarsales.ie/vehicles/view/178642-bmw-3-series-dublin?r=/

both are from same dealer...

what is your budget?

Advertisement