Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cant ping router from new Windows Server 2003 install

Options
  • 08-09-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Im just trying to learn more about WS2003 so I installed it on an old pc at home. But I can't ping any other devices or get an IP address dynamically. have tried setting a static IP on WS2003 but to no avail. the network looks like this...

INTERNET
    ROUTER
    SWITCH
    WS2003
    |
    Windows 7 PC

I can ping the router from the pc and use the internet but I cant ping anything from WS2003 or use internet. I have the router connected to a port on the switch (not uplink port) and WS2003 and PC to other free ports. The lights on all 3 ports are on so I know its not the switch or the cable to WS2003. Anyone got any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭tech

Are you getting an IP address on the server?

CAn you ping the loopback address 127.0.0.1?

if you have an IP address on the server can the Windows 7 ping that IP address?

did you try to give yourself a staic IP address and DNS on the server?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Oh dear just checked the device manager and seen there were no drivers installed for the ethernet card. too damn used to Windows filling in the blanks for me. Dl'd the drivers from PC and all working now. Thanks anyway.

Advertisement