Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you listen to music while studying?

Options
  • 08-09-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Apparently you shouldn't as it causes you to become distracted. Yet I personally find that it keeps me focused on the work I'm meant to be doing. Also I perceive time faster when my mind is completely focused, so I get more done, rather then sitting around fiddling and being distracted by how the crack in the table looks like a knife mark :P

So to those who don't why don't you, and to those who do, what do you listen to.

I personally listen to some classical music. Not too upbeat that I end up humming along, but not too boring that I go back to the crack :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Only thing that worked for me last year was heavy stuff (By that I mean actually heavy, Emperor, Aborted, Behemoth and whatnot).

Pop-Punk/Hardcore/whatever else has a structure that's just too catchy (For want of a better word) to listen to while working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Fad wrote: »
    Only thing that worked for me last year was heavy stuff (By that I mean actually heavy, Emperor, Aborted, Behemoth and whatnot).

Pop-Punk/Hardcore/whatever else has a structure that's just too catchy (For want of a better word) to listen to while working.
    Lol, I tried metal, but ended up singing along or headbanging. too distracting. Tried Trance as well, but I love both too much.

Tried listening to rap as well you know (given that the music I liked didn't seem to work out). Wanted to rip my eardrums out =/. Classical seems to do the job though ^^ Rachmaninov all the way :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I keep forgetting to turn off my music and sometimes I write down the lyrics of a song istead of what i'm supposed to be writing :o So i do get distracted and this year i've been turning it off more often.

Slugs wrote: »
    Lol, I tried metal, but ended up singing along or headbanging. too distracting. Tried Trance as well, but I love both too much.

Herein lies the difference.......lack of head banging (I despise that term >_<) on my part in general. I find dancey stuff generally works quite well (First MSTRKRFT album is sort of passive enough to work), VNV Nation (Kinda industrially, I dunno, they're a strange band) work very well.

Meh, I dunno, that mainstream dance sh*t wrecks my head. Can't handle all that hamster dance =/, but Hardcore Rave and trance I can handle no problem. Tiesto actually I find is good to listen to while studying.

• Advertisement

Meh, I dunno, that mainstream dance sh*t wrecks my head. Can't handle all that hamster dance =/, but Hardcore Rave and trance I can handle no problem. Tiesto actually I find is good to listen to while studying.

Hence "Dancey", maybe try Kraftwerk? Electro in general?

Aye, or industrial, bit of ministry or rammstein does wonders :) ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I listen to Post-Rock as anything with lyrics or a catchy structure distracts me. This however keeps me concentrated. Bands like Isis, And So I Watch You From Afar, Russian Circles, Mogwai, This Will Destroy You and Explosions in the Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

I listen to the radio online, usually i102-104. Works great during the songs but always get distracted with the talking and the craic. Didn't listen to it today and got way more done plus the time went alot faster, might be the way forward:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I hated music while studying, it just annoyed me and I wanted the background noise to go away. The only music I listened to was my set works for music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

I love music, but while studying? A big no no I think! Well for me anyway.

Just had deja vu!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

I get distracted when listening to my ipod so I don't, i'd like to but just doesn't work for me

If you chew gum while studying its meant to help you remember better, scientific research on this has been done!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

sean0 wrote: »
    I get distracted when listening to my ipod so I don't, i'd like to but just doesn't work for me

If you chew gum while studying its meant to help you remember better, scientific research on this has been done!:cool:
    Chewing gum increases the amount of oxygen going to your brain and therefore you can concentrate better:p
    As for music, slightly silly. When your listening to music and studying, around 30% of your brain is focused on the music and the other 70% on study; hardly good in the long term:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Reillyman wrote: »
    I listen to the radio online, usually i102-104. Works great during the songs but always get distracted with the talking and the craic.
    I always used to find myself waiting for them to say something of use considering the amount of s***e they'd be talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I'd say yes to the gum (seriously) and definitely no to the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I keep forgetting to turn off my music and sometimes I write down the lyrics of a song istead of what i'm supposed to be writing :o So i do get distracted and this year i've been turning it off more often.

I do that too!!

I need complete silence when doing homework....otherwise its just a daydream.

Are you people serious about that gum chewing business? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

Are you people serious about that gum chewing business? :P

Yeah its science, it can't be wrong :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I listen to music at school, it's handy when you're in study hall and everyone is talking. But at home I couldn't concentrate with music on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

For those of you who wish to listen to music in school, a great trick is to run the headphones up the sleeve of your jumper and have the earpiece on the palm of your hand. It looks like you are propping up your head with your hand, just don't have the music up too loud :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    For those of you who wish to listen to music in school, a great trick is to run the headphones up the sleeve of your jumper and have the earpiece on the palm of your hand. It looks like you are propping up your head with your hand, just don't have the music up too loud :D

Welcome to 10 years ago people!:D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Gum and ipod ftw!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I studied to Sigur Ros and Explosions in the Sky, mainly. Ambient, as opposed to catchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I used to listen to music most of the time when studying. Especially when doing maths, the sciences and history. I would turn it off for English though.

Used to just stick the ipod on shuffle every evening. It was gloriously cheesey pop music that kept me going up to June!

Boyzone's 'No Matter What' will always remind me of the urinary tract. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

I always listen to music while I study.

Post-Rock or classical music is usually what I go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I listened to the radio constantly when studying, i102104 usually...and since half of it was in irish, could pretend it was extra study :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I locked away about 100 of my CDs a few months before the LC exams. Worked well in that I wasn't constantly thinking about particular albums, songs, etc. and was able to study without distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It works for some and doesn't for others. I'm a metal fan myself but studying to metal is an absoulute no no.

All concentration goes right out the window then. I didn't listen to a lot of music when I studied but if I did it was very mellow with no vocals. Vocals are a distraction I feel because instead of thinking about your study, you'll be thinking of the next line in the song and start singing along in your head.

In a way music has its advantages. One I found was that when I was doing my Economics exam, there was a question about the supply and demand curve and I remembered how to draw the diagram because I related the question with the music I was listening to at the time.

I always had certain music I would listen to for every subject so that maybe it would help me remember things a little better. I tried it as an experiment for the mocks and it worked relatively well.

For the last couple of weeks leading up to the exams I ditched the music altogether because it got a bit distracting for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Omnomnom

Crystal castles,moby or the verve..

I don't listen to music all that often while studying but when i do thats usually all i'll listen to otherwise ill turn on the bee gees and be bopping around the place:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I know this is going to sound absloutly ludicriouse but watching tv somtimes helps me :pac:

Advertisement