Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on hospital "cover up"

Options
  • 08-09-2009 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

Brief outline of story.

A person suffering from a long term illness is admitted to hospital for issues connected to that illness.
    Person is in I.C.U and is being treated for said illness. A swine flu test is done as a precaution - results show patient has no swine flu.

Progress is being made, a bed becomes free in isolation within I.C.U and patient is moved -reason undisclosed. A few days later after little updates a phonecall reveals patient now has swine flu - news to us. The hospital had known about this for 3 days and hadn't informed patient or immediate family but had been administering termaflu [think that's how it is spelt].

Patient is still in hospital and still being treated - we have no idea for how long she will be there. There seems to be this veil of secrecy - with the matron asking us "who told you about the swine flu" - the ambulance driver also told us "wash your hands guys - this place is riddled with Swine Flu"

Hospital are now claiming patient entered hospital WITH Swine Flu, when this is actually highly unlikely and their initial tests indicated that was not he case.

My question is this - how liable are the hospital in this situation?? We are outraged that she went in for 1 problem, and became ill with a potentially more serious illness. I thought we go to hospital to get better? Why has it turned into a game of Russian Roueltte in this day and age?

I'm sure the medical staff in there are doing their best - but they are washing their hands of all responsibility to the situation and that is what is angering us the most. What do people suggest we can do to get this treatment highlighted to the appropriate people - or is it a case of "tough sh!t"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cuverdindust

Hi, Personally I would request a meeting with the CNM and the Consultant treating this patient. Sit down and get all the facts and proceed from there. I know that for MRSA a client has to get 3 negatives before its considered to be definitely cleared. Hospital acquired infections do happen and those that are immunosuppressed are especially at risk. Tamiflu is being used to treat people who have symptoms of Swine Flu. Maybe they are using this treatment as a precautionary measure. Just find out for definite before you proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

we cant give medical or legal advice here.

speak to the treating team and explain your concerns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement