Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Key holder for under wetsuit

Options
  • 08-09-2009 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Anyone know where in dublin I could get something that I could put around my neck to carry my car key? Not too bulky.

What do you folk normally do with keys?

Mine is an automatic key so I don't want to get it wet and hiding my stuff on shore is defo. not an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

I bought one online last year, but can't remember what website it was. Try SUrfdock
    www.surfdock.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I bought a waterproof wallet thingy in Lahinch, it can be slightly annoying as its a bit bulky, but its certainly handy. You could probably get something similar in most watersports shops.
    DENKOWAL.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭dutchgoldtony

Get a non-electronic version of your key made up, should only cost around €20 - and you probably have a key pocket in your wetsuit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

I just use a non electric key, put it on the shock cord in the pocket of my surf shorts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ronanoc

The best surfing accessory I ever bought was a keypod. I got it in surfdock: http://www.surfdock.ie/product_info.php?products_id=357
    It's basically a combination key safe that you can lock to your car.
    Particularly great, as if someone wants to head back to the car early you can just give them the combination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

I use a non electric key aswell, its the cheapest and imo, the safest as you have the key on you at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

always thought it cost €€€€€ to get your car key cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Burgerman55

same as..

would be as well signing up for a hot-wiring course IMO

seachto7 wrote: »
    always thought it cost €€€€€ to get your car key cut?

it does, but its less than one of those under car locks.

I thought it was hundreds to get your key cut?

• Advertisement

thats prob more than what my car is worth these days

:D

you prob could pay that for some cars but I'm not talking about getting proper duplicates made.
    Its a lot cheaper to just get the key cut if you dont get the chip copied,
    so the key will only open door, it wont start the car and it wont turn off the alarm, but its fine for taking in the water.
    mine cost me 15e to make, one for my last car was about the same i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Old car, old key, none of fancy shmancy electromemonic gizmo what-have-yous. :D Key goes with me into the water in my leash.

Be careful when unlocking the car again. Wash/lick/dry the key before putting it into the lock. You can rust the lock over time with the salt water on the key. I learned that the hard way... :(

i just stick the key up the exhaust meself

i just stick the key up the exhaust meself

Be careful with things like this. If the car is stolen and you cant produce a key the insurance company are likely to refuse your claim. Due care or something

thats what the spare key is for

:D:D

Getting a "dud" cut is cheap because all it does is open the door, it wont start the car as it doesn't have a chip in it. Around 20 quid afaik, cheaper is some places obviously. Lash it in your pocket and away you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

Very dangerous approach to stick the key in the exhaust or under the wheel arch, especially is you go to one of the popular spots. I know of many people who've had their cars stolen from doing this while out windsurfing/kitesurfing. Dollymount is particulary bad and if you do it continually there you are almost guaranteed to get your car stolen or broken into. Thieves sit in their cars/dunes and watch for surfers hiding their keys.
    I've heard of the same thing happening in Lahinch, Strandhill, Castlegregory and other spots.
    Get and Aquapac http://www.aquapac-online.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_iPod_and_iPhone_28.html#a3
    Get a non-electric key cut or best option in my opinion is the combination safe, especially if there are a few of you sharing the car so that any of you can return to car.
    I heard a story where 3 guys went out at some remote spot in Mayo, the guy with the key got into trouble and was washed around the headland and onto some inaccesible rocks. The other two could not get into the car to raise the alarm and had to run several miles to a house to call the lifeboat.

The combination safe: all someone needs is a heavy duty cutters to get it off the car and a hammer to open it....?

I think I might have to go for one though on next payday. I always leave it under the arch. Would a dud key (just to open the door) cost as much to get cut, as one of the combination safes?

safe about 33e afaik,
    dud key is about 15-20e depending on where you get it done.

• Advertisement

hmmm, decisions decisions...

suppose there's always the slight danger of losing your key in the water...

another thing I do, depending on where I am, and if it's quiet, is I bury the key, or hide it in a ditch...

dig a hole in the sand, put the key in, cover it with rocks, cover those rocks with sand, cover those with rocks,

so far so good in c'gregory, but only when there's nobody watching...

I've hid it in the long grass in Spanish Point.

another thing I do, depending on where I am, and if it's quiet, is I bury the key, or hide it in a ditch...

dig a hole in the sand, put the key in, cover it with rocks, cover those rocks with sand, cover those with rocks,

so far so good in c'gregory, but only when there's nobody watching...

I've hid it in the long grass in Spanish Point.

:eek:
    I'd say the risk of the key falling out of a wetsuit pocket is much much much smaller than the chance you wont find a key in the long grass!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'd seriously recommend not taking your key with you. There have been thefts of cars at surfing locations before, and many thieves know the usual hiding places (exhaust pipe, wheel arch etc). If your car is stolen and you cannot produce your key your insurance policy won't cover you.

PjC wrote: »
    I just use a non electric key, put it on the shock cord in the pocket of my surf shorts

Small update, keyring must have rusted and cut though the shock cord and... I was sitting in a ca rpark for 20 mins waiting for my father to come down.

SO, dont do what I did!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

The combination safe: all someone needs is a heavy duty cutters to get it off the car and a hammer to open it....?

I think I might have to go for one though on next payday. I always leave it under the arch. Would a dud key (just to open the door) cost as much to get cut, as one of the combination safes?

I have one of those combination safes, if i forget the combination i can just hit it once on the side with a rock and it pops open.

Very crap.

Advertisement