Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a light switch ?

Options
  • 08-09-2009 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi

I would be really grateful if someone could help.

I have a two-way light switch that I want to wire for one-way use. There are x3 terminals numbered 1 - 2 - 3 Can someone please tell me where I connect the live and neutral wires ?

As for the earth I have another problem. The back of the plastic wall mounting box has x2 places identified by the earth symbol but there are no metal fittings to attach the earth to in fact no way I can see of attaching the earth at all. Does anyone know how I can connect the earth ?

Thanks very much for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shocko2009

put the live into the common them the switch wire into the terminal marked 1

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shocko2009

the earths are connected to the box thats in the wall as for neutrals there shouldnt be any1

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

shocko2009 wrote: »
    put the live into the common them the switch wire into the terminal marked 1

There is no terminal marked 'common' only 1 - 2 - 3

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

From your question I am assuming that you have little or no electrical experience (no offence intended). For that reason I will suggest this simple solution:

There are only 3 connections and you have only 2 wires. The two wires do not go into the same connection, so try all possible combinations (there are only a few). BTW more than one combination will work!

P.S. Turn off the power first!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

2011 wrote: »
    From your question I am assuming that you have little or no electrical experience (no offence intended). For that reason I will suggest this simple solution:

There are only 3 connections and you have only 2 wires. The two wires do not go into the same connection, so try all possible combinations (there are only a few). BTW more than one combination will work!

P.S. Turn off the power first!

Hi

I did just that and have it working. I was just a little worried that if I got it wrong I might blow something, but all is well.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

No bother :)

Advertisement