Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its Time to Take the .... Plane?

Options
  • 08-09-2009 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

Just saw one of the Cockroach's (Michael O Leary's) ads on TV - cheap flights from Dublin they say, to Kerry they say... hmm I thought... yeah right.

But it turns out its slightly cheaper than the train alright (e3!). And I figure it should be an hour faster each way than the train (if people can deal with the demented Billy Connoly wannabe roaring on about trinkets, gizmos and oh so classy drink-in-a-bag en route).

Me, after pretty P!ss poor treatment by Irish Rail in the past - I'm giving it some thought

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Just saw one of the Cockroach's (Michael O Leary's) ads on TV - cheap flights from Dublin they say, to Kerry they say... hmm I thought... yeah right.

But it turns out its slightly cheaper than the train alright (e3!). And I figure it should be an hour faster each way than the train (if people can deal with the demented Billy Connoly wannabe roaring on about trinkets, gizmos and oh so classy drink-in-a-bag en route).

Me, after pretty P!ss poor treatment by Irish Rail in the past - I'm giving it some thought

You know I'm not sure you would save anything. At least when you arrive at Heuston you're infront of the Luas; When you arrive at Dublin Airport you're paying 6euro each way by bus into the city if you don't have your own drive arranged before you get to the Luas. I've personally never had any problems with IrishRail and their is no security-check to queue for and get through either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You know I'm not sure you would save anything. At least when you arrive at Heuston you're infront of the Luas; When you arrive at Dublin Airport you're paying 6euro each way by bus into the city if you don't have your own drive arranged before you get to the Luas. I've personally never had any problems with IrishRail and their is no security-check to queue for and get through either.

Good point. I guess if you've had good experiences with Irish Rail I suppose you're happy to keep doing business with them - me, not so much and as much as I'd dislike Mr O'Leary I'd prefer to give him the smaller sum and save time travelling than line IR's pockets any further. There maybe ancilliary costs depending on how one arranges things but don't forget the difference in time required - as they say Time is money!

The security thing doesn't bother me much. If I decided to go the plane route I'd just arrive early and take it handy, (I find you only get stressed if you're trying to rush in the airport) and organising a drop off @ Dublin/pickup in Faranfore isn't difficult.

I'd normally drive Dub-Tra; It's definitely cheaper than the train, but as petrol is going it's getting to the tipping point where it'll be justifiable with the cost and time saving to fly. (Just in case you ask the motor's a Megane, not the most efficient machine but it'll have to do)

In any case - the info's out there now and each to their own :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Just in case you ask the motor's a Megane,
    Petrol or diesel...makes all the diff....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭e-sull

Tbh, I'd way prefer get the plane... Pay what? About €60 and arrive at Farranfore at.. Say 19:35 for the 20:15 flight. Park and be past security, you have 19:50, plane leaves 20:10, Arrive Dublin 20:40, get outside 20:50, Bus to O Connell St., max 21:30... Total 1 hour, 55 mins. OR Arrive Tralee Station for the 19:15 train, pay €10 online or €68.50 in the station, freeze for 10 minutes while you change at Mallow, arrive Heuston 23:15 (provided something strange happens and the train is actually on time!) get LUAS in, there you are in Abbey Street at half 11... So which is really better?? 1:55 on the plane OR, take the train and be 4:15... I know where MY money is headed!!
    Oh and I'm bringing an iPod because I don't want to buy perfumes while flying...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Petrol or diesel...makes all the diff....:)

True, true... petrol 1.4 - get's me 40-44mpgs, unless I'm bringing the bike somewhere (roof rack) then its 34-38mpg.

Someday they'll make cars as efficient as me on the bike, but I doubt I'll ever get up to 120kph spinning 11x53...

• Advertisement
Advertisement