Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature app. tips?

Options
  • 07-09-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I am applying to degree courses for entry Sep '10 and would be really grateful if anyone has any tips for applying as a mature student, particularly as I have not completed any training/educational courses since leaving school.
    I realise that I will have to prove my interest in the course/s and may have to attend interviews, which worries me!

Thanks a mill...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

Hi e-j, I applied to Maynooth two ywars ago o do a degree course and was turned down. I was advised (by the mature student officer) to do the "return to learning" course. I completed two years of a P.L.C. course and was accepted to Maynooth this year. Although I was disappointed with their initial decision, it has been the best thing for me. I feel a little more prepared for college and am aware of the level of commitment needed to do this well. So, my advice would be to do some sort of course to show you are preparing for college.Also, try for something tht will give you an idea of what it is you want to study in college, ie if you want to study English maybe you could try a creative writing course or repeat l.c. english. Hope this helps, louise
    Mature Student officers are very helpful in Maynooth and very approachable if you have questions or concerns, maybe you should try to chat to someone in the college you hope to apply to and they can guide you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

e_j wrote: »
    I am applying to degree courses for entry Sep '10 and would be really grateful if anyone has any tips for applying as a mature student, ...
    I began a degree course as a mature student in September '08. During the preceding months, I applied to various colleges and attended a number of introductory meetings for prospective mature students like myself.

I was struck by the number of people there who expressed an interest in doing a degree but who had no clear idea as to the subject or subjects they wanted to study.

So I would say that if you have a passion for a particular subject and can demonstrate that interest through your hobbies or work life, you should have little trouble convincing the academics to take you into their faculty.

However, if you are just interested in obtaining a degree, then I would strongly suggest you explore what it is that would really sustain your enthusiastic interest over a three or four-year course. Then spend the next few months learning everything you can about the subject and which college offers the best grounding in it. If you can undertake an evening or extra-curricular course in your chosen subject beforehand, it will definitely help.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

louliewan wrote: »
    Hi e-j, I applied to Maynooth two ywars ago o do a degree course and was turned down. I was advised (by the mature student officer) to do the "return to learning" course. I completed two years of a P.L.C. course and was accepted to Maynooth this year. Although I was disappointed with their initial decision, it has been the best thing for me. I feel a little more prepared for college and am aware of the level of commitment needed to do this well. So, my advice would be to do some sort of course to show you are preparing for college.Also, try for something tht will give you an idea of what it is you want to study in college, ie if you want to study English maybe you could try a creative writing course or repeat l.c. english. Hope this helps, louise
    Mature Student officers are very helpful in Maynooth and very approachable if you have questions or concerns, maybe you should try to chat to someone in the college you hope to apply to and they can guide you in the right direction.
    Id agree completely, I also got accepted as a mature student to Maynooth this year. You really should try to do some course in the area your interested in if its possible for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm writing out what I did to get into college. I'll post it up in a few days. Taking longer than I thought. ;)

See here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871

• Registered Users Posts: 28 josie80

I'm going into my final year in Maynooth, I started in 2007. The months prior to applying for colleges, i researched everything and everywhere regarding the courses i was interested in, i spent months looking at courses although I already knew the area I was interested in. I really prepared for the pre-exam & interview and got in first time ( I was quite lucky).

My advice would be to look at all your options, ie. which college would suit you, what's entailed in the course, what your options are after you finish your degree, maybe volunteer now in your area of interest (looks good), just really know what your getting into.

Good luck and also too everyone starting Maynooth in Sep, your gonna love it !!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

It really depends how long ago you did your Leaving and the points (and requirements for the course you want to do) you got.

I'm 24 and I applied normally through the CAO this year, but had the option of applying as a mature student as well/instead. I opted not to apply as a mature student because I had plenty points for the course I applied for. I figured there was a pretty good chance of getting a place based solely on my CAO and there was no reason to potentially take up a mature student place if I didn't need to. Since there are only a small number of mature student places available.

If you're applying only as a mature student, then follow the advice of the previous posters ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 e_j

Thank you to everyone for the replies - there are quite a few things I wouldn't have thought of.
    Enjoy the sunshine! While it lasts. . .:cool:

Advertisement