Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics and the New Log Tables

Options
  • 07-09-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

So before we ever got our choice for physics, we were warned about the countless formulae (over 100) to learn off by heart. Been doing physics now for a week and a half and I really enjoy it. I got even better news from our teacher today, the 100 or so formulae to be learned is moot...they're all in the log tables.

So I thought that this surely is gonna effect the exam? Teacher says that they'll perhaps focus on some theorems or something instead. Does anyone know will this effect the exam, the course and what'll be the focus? Speculation is grand...

Comments

I doubt it'll affect it too much, perhaps they'll raise the standard of the questions slightly. In the harder parts of questions, the parts worth 18/20 marks towards the end of the question, it's not necessarily knowing the relevant formulae that will get you your marks, it's knowing how to use which formulae for what.

Whoever said that there were over 100 formulae is wrong, there are about 60 (by my count), but that's just if you cover all of the course, which you'd be mad to do. I covered everything bar electricity/magnetism, and I had to "learn", perhaps, 20 formulae (it was less in all honesty, as you can derive probably 50% of the formulae from combinations of other, more fundamental formulae).

Also, I didn't think all of the formulae were in the new log books?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I have the new tables but I CBA checking right now...will do tomorrow if I think of it. That's what he told us anyway. 100 formulae we were told...jesus I'd nearly get the impression the man was trying to scare away most of the class (quite possible).

I must have a look at them someday. I'd say, if you were to cover all of the course for the exam itself, there would be 60, maybe a bit more, formulae. If you're intelligent about it, you can get away with covering 70/75% of the course and learning maybe 20/25 formulae. But, that's not something to worry about now, worry about that a month before the exam! Also, you're just going into 5th year aren't you jumpguy? Do you do honours maths? If you do, and you like physics, you should consider taking up applied maths.

Well, a week and a few days in I'm still going strong in HL LC maths. Did HL in the JC and found it grand, expecting a B in it. Applied maths isn't done in school. Is there an alternative method...and is it worth the hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

jumpguy wrote: »
    Well, a week and a few days in I'm still going strong in HL LC maths. Did HL in the JC and found it grand, expecting a B in it. Applied maths isn't done in school. Is there an alternative method...and is it worth the hassle?

I hear that Applied Maths is one of the better subjects for self teaching & if you live in Dublin (and have a lot of money...) the Institute course is supposed to be very good. Last year's 6th years in my school went there once a week to be taught by Oliver Murphy who wrote the book (literally) on LC Applied Maths.

• Advertisement

It's a lovely subject to teach to yourself, and it can be done in a short enough space of time (I covered the course in around 6/7 weeks, not for points, just because I found it interesting, and with a bit of revision at the end I got a B1 in it), so if you've two years, you'll have plenty of time.

Well, I suppose the benefits are it's relatively easy to get high points in it if you're anyway good at it, and, if you're into maths/physics, it'll give you, possibly, another 100 points in your L.C., and it'll give you those points with less work than other subjects.

Anyway, it was just a thought, it's worth considering anyway! You should have a look at the skoool webpage about it, and if you think you'd find the topics interesting, you should get yourself the books, because it's a very rewarding subject.

An interesting thought...and perhaps it shows the advantages of doing TY (which I'm not). I'm worried starting it would be too much of a commitment...and without any teachers, if I get stuck I'll have no help. I won't disregard the idea completely and I might consider it, especially if I drop down to pass in 2 subjects (unlikely unless I have to drop from HL maths, in which case applied maths would be out anyway, my major chink in the armour is Irish). At the moment though, I'll leave it as another option. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭FreeT

Whoever said that there were over 100 formulae is wrong, there are about 60 (by my count), but that's just if you cover all of the course, which you'd be mad to do. I covered everything bar electricity/magnetism, and I had to "learn", perhaps, 20 formulae (it was less in all honesty, as you can derive probably 50% of the formulae from combinations of other, more fundamental formulae).

Well there are 55 here, and that's only about half the course done.

FreeT wrote: »
    Well there are 55 here, and that's only about half the course done.

That's a lot more than half the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dirac

...Teacher says that they'll perhaps focus on some theorems or something instead....

If a physics teacher is telling you that, I'd be a bit surprised considering there are no theorems in physics!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

id think drs bout 81 u need to know, drs alot that double up when written out...

my teacher thinks d 2010 exam is aready made so it shud b super simple conderin d tables book wit all d formulas came out after it was written... but he doesnt reli know like. im repeatin wit B2 in physics...a A1 wud b nice this year...nearly possible now with this tables book :P even tho d formulas wer SUPER easy to remember

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dirac

id think drs bout 81 u need to know, drs alot that double up when written out...

my teacher thinks d 2010 exam is aready made so it shud b super simple conderin d tables book wit all d formulas came out after it was written... but he doesnt reli know like. im repeatin wit B2 in physics...a A1 wud b nice this year...nearly possible now with this tables book :P even tho d formulas wer SUPER easy to remember

Without wanting to sound smart, try typing WITHOUT text-speak the next time.

The 2010 exam would be made out already, or if not, is certainly very close to being completed.

As for the exam now being "super simple", why do you assume that? Just because the formulas are now available doesn't necessarily make the exam easier. You have to know (1) which formula to use, and (2) how to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

i just think that with all the formulas in front of you it cant be too difficult to actually figure out which one you need to use . usually the maths parts arent too difficult it is just remembering the right formulas, now if they can change the exam I bet they will make the calculations way harder :(

Decided to have a look at the formulae tables today as we're finally hitting the mathematical part of physics. Yup, yep, yippee, all the formulae are there. But just the formulae. For example, in the forumulae for the convex mirror, (1/f = 1/u + 1/v) it doesn't indicate a negative answer is a virtual image. However, they're not a crutch. You need to know what's what.

I think all the chemistry formulae are there too, along with the entire periodic table. It's very easy to use imo. Abit longer to find something than the old tables, but tbh the old tables were barely used at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭TheDonMan

Got a copy of the new "log tables" today (not really log tables anymore, they have even renamed them). They are lovely to say the least, there really isn't a single formula you have to learn off anymore. Doppler effect, gravitational forumla, coulomb's law, you name it, it has it.

Not only this but it also included all SI units as well pictures showing what the various symbols in circuits means, it's really like a joke compared to the old ones. The only downside is they cost E4, quite steep if you ask me during these apparently tough financial times. ;)

So they include pretty much every formula you need to know?

And the Irish educational system is dumbed down yet more...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I repeat, I could well be in a different college right now if I had those tables during my exams.

I could be in there with you JD :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭TheDonMan

So they include pretty much every formula you need to know?

Yep, pretty much. Haven't been through them in enough detail to know if they actually have ALL the formula but there is ALOT of them.

Not only do they contain physics formulas they also contain very useful formulas for Maths as well. This includes and is not limited to formulas for sequences (geometrical and arithmetical), the binomial theorem, the Newton Raphson method formula and a bunch of other useful maths formulas I can't remember.

To be honest with these new "log tables" there is more formulas to learn for chemistry than physics! :pac:

D'you know what Mr. Jammy, I don't think I'll complain. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

TheDonMan wrote: »
    Yep, pretty much. Haven't been through them in enough detail to know if they actually have ALL the formula but there is ALOT of them.

Not only do they contain physics formulas they also contain very useful formulas for Maths as well. This includes and is not limited to formulas for sequences (geometrical and arithmetical), the binomial theorem, the Newton Raphson method formula and a bunch of other useful maths formulas I can't remember.

To be honest with these new "log tables" there is more formulas to learn for chemistry than physics! :pac:

There's a page of Chemistry formulas :).

(VxMx/Nx = VyMy/Ny isnt there I think, but if you have trouble remembering that, you should probably reconsider doing the leaving at all)

• Advertisement
Advertisement