Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget switch for Home Network?

• 07-09-2009 8:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭

hey guys,

Ok, so we have 4 xbox, 2 wired desktops, 1 nas and anywhere in the region of 2-5 laptops wireless on the home network at any one time.The current setup is using two routers (one for dhcp and the other a make - shift switch)and it just aint working!

I'm sure there is probably no such thing as a good 'budget' switch but I'm hoping someone could recommend something? Budget would be max 40/50 quid (poor students baaw)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Darr3nG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

I've no problem finding places to buy one, I was hoping for a recommendation from someone more experienced than myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Darr3nG

What is wrong, exactly with the setup you have?

Network running slow?

Depending on which routers you're currently using, I'm guessing they're both 10/100 switched with 802.11a/b/g wireless. Unless they're faulty, this shouldn't be a problem to run all the machines you've listed.

Bottlenecks:

Internet connection. Downloading torrents, just limit your upload. Video over IM (e.g. Skype) can slow it way down. I don't know how much bandwidth an X-box uses while playing online, but I don't think it should be much.

NAS. What kind of box are you running? Is everyone streaming lots of audio / video simultaneously?

My current setup has 6 wired destops, 3 wireless laptops, an Xbox 360, a PS3 and a Linux fileserver. All running through a *cheap* 10/100 switch. Also connecting another house over wireless, which runs 2 desktops, 2 laptops, an Xbox (XBMC, yay!) and another Linux fileserver. These are connected though a 10/100 switch (netgear). The internet connection is 6Mb with smart.

I've never found this network running slow, except when torrent uploads aren't capped or if someone is using video over skype.

So, what I'm trying to say is buy the cheapest 10/100 switch you can. It does what it says on the tin... And if it breaks, just get another one.

The only issues I've ever had with switches have been with 3com 24-port 10/100s (about €150 each) - 2 failed within 2 years but both were covered under warranty. And, with the netopia DSL routers from eircom - these need resetting every so often, I don't think they were designed for 24-hour use. The cheap switches I've bought over the years just keep on running! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Darr3nG wrote: »
    What is wrong, exactly with the setup you have?

Network running slow?

Depending on which routers you're currently using, I'm guessing they're both 10/100 switched with 802.11a/b/g wireless. Unless they're faulty, this shouldn't be a problem to run all the machines you've listed.

Bottlenecks:

Internet connection. Downloading torrents, just limit your upload. Video over IM (e.g. Skype) can slow it way down. I don't know how much bandwidth an X-box uses while playing online, but I don't think it should be much.

NAS. What kind of box are you running? Is everyone streaming lots of audio / video simultaneously?

My current setup has 6 wired destops, 3 wireless laptops, an Xbox 360, a PS3 and a Linux fileserver. All running through a *cheap* 10/100 switch. Also connecting another house over wireless, which runs 2 desktops, 2 laptops, an Xbox (XBMC, yay!) and another Linux fileserver. These are connected though a 10/100 switch (netgear). The internet connection is 6Mb with smart.

I've never found this network running slow, except when torrent uploads aren't capped or if someone is using video over skype.

So, what I'm trying to say is buy the cheapest 10/100 switch you can. It does what it says on the tin... And if it breaks, just get another one.

The only issues I've ever had with switches have been with 3com 24-port 10/100s (about €150 each) - 2 failed within 2 years but both were covered under warranty. And, with the netopia DSL routers from eircom - these need resetting every so often, I don't think they were designed for 24-hour use. The cheap switches I've bought over the years just keep on running! :D

Only thing is the cheap switches can't implement
    VLANS or provide managment of individual ports.

Don't skimp on the switch. The switch is way more important than a home router, unless you have an all in one solution box:)

Scalability is not an issue if you get decent
    gear instead of buying low end stuff.

As cost is a concern, go with the best
    you can afford, just not the absolute
    cheapest makes.

Well Torrents are timed to happen only in the wee hours of the morning with the NAS ( Qnap TS -109 pro II). The Router is a Linksys running dd-wrt, which is perfect, I think it is the cheap Netgear router provided by NTL that is dropping the ball really( the one acting as a switch). The NAS is also streaming media to the consoles around the house but rarely is it being accessed more than once at a time, so I don't think it can be blamed. Online gaming will be picking up now that we are heading into the Winter as well.

Is there a rule of thumb for brands with regards to switches? I'm veering towards cisco/linksys.

Cisco 2950 24 port network Switch

The above is for sale secondhand and could be in the price range @ four years old ( I don't know how well switches age ;) )

Cheers for the replies so far lads.

P.s. Connection is NTL 20mb ( Average 17 ish down / 1.3 up )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭vinylbomb

I dont see how a switch is going to improve things enormously, because you're still limited by the bandwidth of the line into your house.

If you want to spead up access for your internal network what you could do is get a MIMO router like this fella
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-DG834PN-RangeMax-MIMO-G-Wireless/dp/B000BRYOQ8
    and leave it to handle the wireless and associated DHCP, then assign the wired boxes static IPs on one or other of the remaining network devices (removing the need to have them set up as DHCP servers)

Ordered a moderaretly price Linksys switch and if all else fails I'll go ahead and setup static ip for everything bar wireless clients.

Cheers for the posts

Advertisement