Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiotherapist vs chiropractor

Options
  • 07-09-2009 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Can somebody explain the difference between these two professions? I heard that chiropractors aren't as well trained as physios and any physio I've been to have advised me to stay away from chiropractors. Having said that I've a few friends who swear by their chiropractor!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

Can somebody explain the difference between these two professions? I heard that chiropractors aren't as well trained as physios and any physio I've been to have advised me to stay away from chiropractors. Having said that I've a few friends who swear by their chiropractor!

Chartered physiotherapist is a person whose degree is of a certain duration and someone who practice continuous education thus a standard in Ireland

Not everyone who calls themselves a physiotherapist has a degree, the name physiotherapist is not protected

Chiropractor-- there is no regulation here, anyone can call themselves one, could do a 2 week course and put up multiple certificates from Universities anywhere and call themselves a chiropractor.
    In USA there are many recognised authorised degree programs in chiropractic and certification/professional bodies with standards so it is regulated--here that is not the case

You may be lucky and find a good physiotherapist here who you get on well with and who treats your injuries in a timely fashion

It would be much more difficult o find a good chiropractor and in addition if no regulation or licensing then if something goes wrong you have no back up as unlikely they are insured

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

One major difference that DrZhivago didn't mention:

Physiotherapy is a mainstream, scientific health profession.

Chiropractic is a branch of 'Alternative Medicine'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ThereAreWitches

Cheers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I find the witch hunt against chiropractors very unfair (it's come up before). If they were all quacks, then there would be nobody using them long term. I know someone who did a five year degree course in the UK and has a successful business in Ireland now. It's all about doing your research before you start attending someone; ask them what qualifications they have, where they got them, and how long they were studying for. If you're not happy with the answers, then go elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I find the witch hunt against chiropractors very unfair (it's come up before). If they were all quacks, then there would be nobody using them long term. I know someone who did a five year degree course in the UK and has a successful business in Ireland now. It's all about doing your research before you start attending someone; ask them what qualifications they have, where they got them, and how long they were studying for. If you're not happy with the answers, then go elsewhere.

I'm not sure if your comment was intended as a response to mine or not, but if it was, please note that I simply stated two undisputable facts. I don't think that counts as part of a witch hunt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

If they were all quacks, then there would be nobody using them long term.

To quote G.K. Chesterton:
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions."

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

I wasnt witch hunting either, have used a US qualified Irish based chiropractor in the past personally with great success however even he had reservations about the lack of regulation in Ireland

The problem about doing research is you have to know what it is you are trying to research and have some understanding about the expected duration of training. The average person on the street unfortunately would probably not have this level of knowledge and thus is prone to shysters and charlatans.

If the profession (and I do believe it is a profession) was regulated the fully qualified chiropractors would have nothing to fear and the public would be better protected

I think in this case Alternative is not really the appropriate title for chiropractic, it is a proven therapy for biomechanical problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭GradMed

An overview from http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ on the history, treatments and differing groups within chiropractory.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=537

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/?p=538

Advertisement