Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questioning ability!

Options
  • 07-09-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey Im in 5th year now! well basically has happened is I went into first year being above the rest for the most part but since 2nd year I started becoming average. Now its 5th year and I know obviously I am not going to be as smart as everyone and some people are obviously just more capable but since I am friends with the genius' in the school I always feel my effort is never up to standard. I always question if I am doing something right and then come exam time I always get lower than what I want or what my friends get. Its very frustrating. And I study a lot. Ok I am not in my room 24/7 but neither are they! It just seems like there is something wrong with me! Any advice???:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

So what if your friend does better than you. What difference does that make to your grade? It could easily be they studied more than you or have a better aptitude for the subject. Either way don't make it too much of an issue cos its not :) just my 2 cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

Do you happen to have the Simpson gene by any chance?

There was an episode of the simpsons where it was shown that all of the male simpson's are very intelligent when they are young but get progressively stupider as they get older.

Maybe you have this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

I am questioning my ability in 6th Year :(.. finding the teachers are moving faster and the work load will pile up if you stop working.. and I am only back 4days!! 5th Year is tough at the start but you will get used to it! Trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Maybe it's good if you have friends that do better than you in school as it pushes you to work harder. If you were smarter than everyone around you you might not feel like you have to work as hard and end up disapointed.
    5th years tough but don't owrry you'll get the hang of it : )

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

cork*girl wrote: »
    I am questioning my ability in 6th Year :(.. finding the teachers are moving faster and the work load will pile up if you stop working.. and I am only back 4days!! 5th Year is tough at the start but you will get used to it! Trust me!

fwiw, I found the transition from 3rd yr to 5th yr alot harder than 5th yr to 6th yr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Approach your work systematically. In the end of the day, good technique can beat natural ability.

Study in small chunks. Use mnemonics, use particular snacks to jog your memory (e.g eat a grape while studying and then eat them the morning of the exam, too), put colourful post-its with definitions all over your room, hang up diagrams, repeat stuff in your head.

Manage your time well. Don't stick at one subject for too long, take regular breaks, stay hydrated, get some exercise, sleep enough, take time to relax.

Make up songs, record your own voice, do anything! Stop doubting yourself. It's not easy, but it's not rocket science either.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As soon as you start to not fully understand something, ask your teacher (or a friend who has fully grasped it) for further explanation. It's far easier remedy things early on than when you're completely lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

cork*girl wrote: »

don't worry, the teachers will be like that at the start of the year because they're afraid of not getting through the course and stuff. as the year progresses they'll give you more control of your workload.

plus your from a class county so you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 poetryinmotion

spurious wrote: »
    As soon as you start to not fully understand something, ask your teacher (or a friend who has fully grasped it) for further explanation. It's far easier remedy things early on than when you're completely lost.
    thats grand but i got a text one night before school at 11.45pm asking me about the binomial expansion theorem for HL maths.just do it within reasonable hours

Advertisement