Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert subject Choice..help.,

Options
  • 07-09-2009 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hey guys, just wondering do you really need to do a science subject for the leaving cert? I've made my subject choices and a science one is not included, i do have geography but I'm not sure if that counts as much.

I'd have to drop art if I'm going to take up biology because of the way our subjects are timetabled, just seeing what others think because i was considering a course in teaching or journalism, I have looked into it but so many seem to be taking science subjects I don't wanna lose out, do i need a science subject?..,thanks for help:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

No you're grand. You don't need a science subject to become a journalist or a teacher (unless of course it's a science teacher).

Also, I'm fairly sure georgraphy counts anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭k8hm

ya you only need a science subject if you're doing a course in the science section of a university/college....thats how it is in UCC anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 emzxxx

cheers guys, i had an idea but wasn't sure enough,
    thanks for the help!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i take it your in 5th year if your choosing your subjects?
    i know you think right now you want to do teaching or journalism but theres a strong chance youll change your mind over the next 2 years.
    the amount of times ive heard people complaining they cant do the course theyd like because they dont have a science subject.
    id definately think about it again if i was you, you need to keep your options open:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

emzxxx wrote: »
    hey guys, just wondering do you really need to do a science subject for the leaving cert? I've made my subject choices and a science one is not included, i do have geography but I'm not sure if that counts as much.

I'd have to drop art if I'm going to take up biology because of the way our subjects are timetabled, just seeing what others think because i was considering a course in teaching or journalism, I have looked into it but so many seem to be taking science subjects I don't wanna lose out, do i need a science subject?..,thanks for help:)
    Unless your really good at art, da Vinci-esq, I'd say drop it for a Science subject. Art is incredibly difficult to get a high honour in, whereas Bioligy, not so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Don't bother doing a Science, unless you think you'd want to pursue a course that need one.

This whole "ya hafta do a science" bullsh1t really pisses me off, it's only a small amount of courses that require one. You wouldn't believe the amount of looks of disbelief I got when I told people I didn't do any science subjects. "That's effing right, I didn't do a science, because guess what, I don't effing like it, and don't effing need it, so stop telling me I need one because I don't."
    Most of the people who said this wanted to be "engineers." When asked what an engineer is, they don't effing know...

Morale of the story is, if you don't like any of the science subjects, and don't need them, don't do one. All this sh1t about keeping your options open is pure crap, you have plenty of options in the careers you mentioned, none of which any courses relating to them need science.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

Geography definitely does NOT count as a science subject.

i'd say keep on a science subject to keep your options open. you could regret it big time if, no when you change your mind about what you want to do.

a very very small majorty of people know what they really want to do at the start of 5th year.

Reillyman wrote: »
    you have plenty of options in the careers you mentioned.

the OP only mentioned teaching and journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

While there is no need for science in the careers that you are currently considering, it would be best not to close any doors at this early stage and a science subject is essential for many subjects. You could easily change your mind about what you want to do after school in the space of two years and seriously regret not taking a science subject. On the other hand, unless you are amazing at art, you really are not losing much and gaining a broader education even if you do decide to opt for journalism or teaching.

Fince wrote: »
    the OP only mentioned teaching and journalism.

Ya, how many careers are there out of the courses you would do for teaching or journalism? The answer is loads...

• Advertisement

Ya, how many careers are there out of the courses you would do for teaching or journalism? The answer is loads...

its actually quite a small amount in the scheme of things.

Listen, its highly unlikely that if she doesn't particularly like science, and she is thinking of doing something like teaching/journalism, that she will suddenly turn around and want to do a science related course.

And yes, there's loads of things you can do with a teaching or journalism degree... people like you can only see things in black and white.

Bam...Medicine=Doctor
    Bam...Architecture=Architect
    Bam...Engineering=Engineer

Just because you can't think outside the box, don't encourage others to do likewise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

Listen, its highly unlikely that if she doesn't particularly like science, and she is thinking of doing something like teaching/journalism, that she will suddenly turn around and want to do a science related course.

And yes, there's loads of things you can do with a teaching or journalism degree... people like you can only see things in black and white.

Bam...Medicine=Doctor
    Bam...Architecture=Architect
    Bam...Engineering=Engineer

Just because you can't think outside the box, don't encourage others to do likewise.

First of all, don't be such an asshole.

Secondly you're talking from a careers standpoint while she is thinking of what course she will do.Yes, there are lots and lots of careers that don't require a science subject but a huge amount of college courses do.
    Unless she is completely sure that she wants to go into either journalism or teaching she should probably pick one science subject to ''keep her options open''. Most people will change their aspirational course lots of times in the 2 years between starting 5th year and starting college.

Blur wrote: »
    First of all, don't be such an asshole.

Secondly you're talking from a careers standpoint while she is thinking of what course she will do.Yes, there are lots and lots of careers that don't require a science subject but a huge amount of college courses do.
    Unless she is completely sure that she wants to go into either journalism or teaching she should probably pick one science subject to ''keep her options open''. Most people will change their aspirational course lots of times in the 2 years between starting 5th year and starting college.

First of all, don't call me an asshole.

Secondly, your not understanding my point. What I'm saying is that if she is interested in journalism/teaching, it is very unlikely that she will have a complete change of heart, and want to to something science related, which is generally on the other side of the spectrum.

I know exactly that people change their minds from 5th year onwards, I myself still don't have a clue what I want to do, but I know its in the general area of business/economics, and such won't require a science subject for any courses relating to these, much like the OP is interested in the area she mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 emzxxx

k guys read what everyones had to say and cheers for the advice, everyones opinion helps..,even tho I'm still quite undecided ha! I have to make my mind up properly by tomorrow the latest.

I know what some of you mean about courses and that, there the careers choices I've had in mind for a while and i'm thinking i'm quite set on them but yea I know about how quick that can change seen it happen to a few, was also thinking law.,but it really is too early to know.,i am trying to stay away from the medicine side of things, cause I'm not really into or able for that sort of stuff.

few mentioned about been amazing at art, I'd consider myself a good art student but i've heard the leaving cert art is marked very hard, that's the only thing if i really work my butt off at art I want to know i can get the grade at the end of the day, cause there's a lot of competition...so really what it's about is the points even do i really want to keep up my art, do i have a better chance of scoring n art or biology

anywayss you don't need to be listening to me rambling
    thanks for the advice guys..need to get deciding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭answer me

You do not need a science subject for teaching

Is doing 4 passand 3 honours good?:D
    I am in 5th year and i don't know what i am doing when i leave school so should the 4 pass and the 3 honours be alright?:o

Also what could you look up or something just to get ideas of what to do when i would school?:eek:

answer me wrote: »
    Is doing 4 passand 3 honours good?:D
    I am in 5th year and i don't know what i am doing when i leave school so should the 4 pass and the 3 honours be alright?:o

Aww bless, they're so innocent:p

It dosen't matter how many pass or honours subjects your doing, as long as you a)Fill the criteria required for your course b)Get the points required.
    answer me wrote: »
    Also what could you look up or something just to get ideas of what to do when i would school?:eek:

Did you not do a career guidance module in your school, or have a guidance counsellor atm? If not then I'd suggest www.careerdirections.ie for suggestions and www.qualifax.ie for all the courses you can do.

Hope that helps man:cool:

Advertisement