Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Art

Options
  • 07-09-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Just wondering what's involved in leaving cert art I know there are 4 day exams but is there a portfolio required?:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

No. It's completely different to Junior cert. The actual art part of it is all done in early May, you'll get the exam papers a week in advance. You pick what themes etc. you're going to do and you practise it all week. You can't bring anything like drawings or photographs into the imaginary composition/ still life or the life drawing.
    You can however bring a support sheet of your own work or photographs to help you during the craft work exam, but you will not get any marks for this sheet. And you lose marks if you trace or copy images from your support sheet; you have to show the development in your final piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shiny Cactus

Right,Thanks
    Also is there a june exam or do you have any tips for me?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Saysha

Yeah there's a history of art exam in june..it's a huge chunk of your marks- 37.5% I think, so get on top of it from the start & try to keep all your notes organised. Trust me, they will be so important to you come june! History of art isn't taught very well in most schools, many don't even have textbooks...saying that, we had textbooks and there's barely any information in them. Best thing you can do is try get your own notes from libraries or the internet when writing essays. Obviously, don't copy word for word, but use these as references if the notes you've taken in class don't seem like enough to structure an essay around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

The Less Stress Art History is the only decent book out there, IMO. It's not so great on pictures though, it's mainly just rough sketches, to give you an idea of the sort of illustrations you're expected to produce during the exam. But you can always use google images to find proper pictures.

Thankfully you're not expected to learn the entire text book for art history. There's European art and then Irish art, and you pick one section from each. For instance I'm doing pre-Christian art from the Irish section, and Medieval art from the European section.
    There's also a third section, Appreciation of art, but you can't really learn for this as such. The questions are usually along the lines of discussing lighting, imagery in a film, or talking about a trip to a museum.

Advertisement