Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large light in the sky

Options
  • 07-09-2009 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Hi woz just wondering does anyone know what this is? I live in Meath and I sometimes see this really bright light in the sky and sometimes it dissapears or seems like its travelling upwards. Theres one picture i took of it the orange light is just a street lamp its not a great pic the camera i took it on isnt great.:)
    675267052a11370810476o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Most likely a satelite if it moves. How quickly does it travel upwards? seconds? Minutes? These nights there is a very bright light int he sky to the South or South West which is Jupiter. That won't move though. It could also be the International Space Station (ISS) though. That travels from West to East in an arc. Rises from the West, raches a high point int he SW and sinks away eastwards. That takes about 3-4 minutes to pass over typically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Yellowsubmarine

No it moves very slowly upwards sometimes and one night me and my friend were looking at it and it just disappeared :eek: i'd say it is just one of the things you said thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

No it moves very slowly upwards sometimes and one night me and my friend were looking at it and it just disappeared :eek: i'd say it is just one of the things you said thanks :)

Probably a satellite... and it will disapear once it falls behind the earths shadow. And depending on the time, that can occur while its still above you.

Alright thanks was recking me head trying to figure out what is was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

For how long is it visible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

big satillite

Its visible for a few hours and its there at least once a week so it must be a sattalite. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭riptide

Its visible for a few hours and its there at least once a week so it must be a sattalite. :D

Few hours? HAHAHHA. That ain't no satellite. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

space station not visible for few hours lol ,, The longest the station will remain in view to a ground based observer is 4 minutes !!!

Aw well i don't have a clue then haha :eek: i don't know much about all this stuff ha :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

its probaly michael jackson on the way back to his home planet

Capella, maybe. Is it low on the northern horizon? It tends to vanish in the mist over the night where I live.

Whats capella?? ha em ye its low enough its like in the north east direction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Have to assume there's camera shake in your photo and at what time to you see this object? This is really starting to sound like Capella alright. It rises late in the NE and rises over the course of the night. Perhaps cloud could make it diappear or fog for that matter. Can you see any other stars at the time? In general if it's something over the space of a few hours it's a celestial object (Planet/Star).

Whats capella?? ha em ye its low enough its like in the north east direction :)

Its one of the brightest stars on the northern horizon this time of year. I live in North Kildare, and still mistake it for landing lights sometimes, as it twinkles in the evening mid-altitude clouds. I think it is one of the more common 'I was comn back from the pub wtf is that' objects that are queried along with Sirius and Jupiter :)

Google 'auriga' and see if it fits the pattern?

Yea that looks like it alright mystery solved haha :)

Advertisement