Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAVEBOARDS/RIPSTICKS

Options
  • 07-09-2009 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Has any of you guys ever heard of the above Boards?

I'm thinking of getting one for my 8 year old son. Are they easy to use/safe etc.

Thanks in advance to all replies,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Groe

I personally have never seen any injuries associated with them. A helmet and wrist pads should be sufficient in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Well I've tried using one before and i didn't find it easy, even as an accomplished skateboarder.
    Saying that, I wouldn't let that put you off getting him one.

Take the necessary safety precautions and be with him while he is still learning the basics and he should be fine.
    As is with any sport, scrapes and bruises are going to come, regardless of how safe you are, and as time progress' and he gets older/more involved in extreme sports, he'd be lucky not to brake a bone, I think I'd be right in saying, most have.

Be aware of what could happen but don't let that hold you/him back.

Sure it's like hurling, Get stuck in and into the danger zone and you'll come out grand, stick around the edges and be to nervous and you'll more than likely get injured.

Get him the board if he wants it, he'll be fine.
    Alternatively, it'll toughen him up.:pac::p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Good advice there.

Broken bones:eek: dont talk to me about them. Broke my arm twice and dislocated and broke my Thumb BMXing when I was younger, back in the early/mid 80's. Came back from the Hospital once and the bike was gone:mad: my mother sold it while I was there.:(. Cant wait till he's old enough to get one. His Old man will be on it all the time.:cool:

As for the Wave Board, I thought they'd be much easier to learn and safer than a normal skate board. Looked easy on you tube.

thanks again.

I am thinking of the right things here?
    The yokes with only two wheels and a swivel bar in the middle?
    If so, they are really weird to go on, not easy anyway.

Tbh, I think he's have a much better time, now and as he progresses, on a normal board.

I couldn't even begin to list all my my injuries.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Yeah, thats them alright.

Another thing is the FlowBoard. Its like between a skate board and a snow board.

14 wheels!!!!!!!:eek:.

• Advertisement

Ah I've tried one of those aswell.
    They're a bit of a laugh if you change the bearings, so you can actually move.
    They're really only for kids I guess, but a few mods can make them alright.

I reckon long boards are the way to go, for that kind of thing.

Advertisement