Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LDR success stories and advice please!

Options
  • 07-09-2009 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've met a girl I really really like. Get on amazing well with and we are friends now as much as everything else (which is also great ;) ).
    She is going travelling for a bit. I'm going to do some travelling with her by using my holidays i have for this year going over to visit and breaking up the time apart (only together 2 months so not going to move abraod with her and I want to do the ldr thing first, nevermind the fact that ive got loans here).
    I know this is not going to be the easiest thing in the world. But we reckon the way we get on is worth trying to make it work.
    I want to get advice from people who have done it and made it work. I don't want to hear the nay sayers, because if all goes arse ways well c'est la vie, but at least i went in with a positive attitude of making it work. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that. And she is a great girl.
    So advice please never wanted to do this type of thing before...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 J Peterman

Six years ago I (yank) met a lovely girl from Dublin whilst we were both working in a Dublin pub. After what I'm sure to all observers looked just like a summertime fling, I went back to the US. After four years of long distance relationshipping, I came back to Dublin- me and me mot are now living together in a lovely little flat on the southside.

It Can Be Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Last 3 odd years have been long distance for me, and we're getting married in a few months. It can be done. Go for it in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Probably doesn't even count as long distance, but my OH is from Donegal and I'm from Kildare, and we're apart for about 5 months of the year altogether, cos we both go to the same college, but he lives at home during holidays and weekends. Distance doesn't bother us anymore, of course I miss him loads when I don't see him for ages, but you kinda just get used to it, and just look forward ridiculously to phone calls/skype etc, and it's even better when you see them.

On a more international level, my friends brother went to Australia for 18 months and came back there last September, and he and his girlfriend (they'd been together about 9 months when he left for Oz) stayed together the whole time, and she only went over once to see him. They just relied on Skype/phonecalls/letters and emails, and they were fine.

If you're really into her, you can make it work, just takes a bit of patience and getting used to, and remember, she's coming back, so just wait it out and make the most of what you can!

Good Luck :)

If both your hearts are in it (as yours certainly appears to be :)) there's no reason why a long-distance relationship shouldn't work or evolve. My fiance and I have been doing it for over 2.5 years and we're planning to have him move here next year, can't wait!

Practical advice though ... TALK. Use them but don't rely too much on texts or e-mails or networking sites ... get yerselves organised for Skype or some other cheap way of keeping in touch.

Best of luck to you both

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

I went away to another country to go to college for a year, and while it was really hard at times, it brought me and my bf closer together. The best thing to do is invest in a good headset and webcam and use skype. Another thing thats great is VoipStunt, you can ring land lines for free which was brilliant. Just don't wear rose tinted glasses and expect it to be all peachy at the beginning, it will be hard, but it can be done! We're 4years together now and I wouldn;t change a thing!

Good Luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 suki07

i spent a year abroad and actually many summers apart from bf. the yr abroad worked well for us. it made us realise how much we meant to eachother. i'd say go for it!! it'll be tough sometimes, but c'est la vie as you said. just always try to communicate honestly and openly, and put the other person first. and if things really aren't going well - go home and sort it out. have to say the bf was amazing while i was abroad and we talked and texted a lot. even if it was just to say good nite. go for it!!!!

we're not together anymore, but i wouldnt change a thing. and that year was surely one of our best years together.

Advertisement