Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice, Please

Options
  • 07-09-2009 2:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi all,

After months of thought, i'm pretty certain I am ready to get my first tattoo.

the tattoo I am thinking of is at the following link (hope it's ok to post a link (?))

http://www.tattoofinder.com/find_tattooDB.asp?pagePN=1&pageN=2&txtKeyword=angels&SearchRtype=&txtIsAdult=yes

Its the first one on the second row entitled "Cherabim Embrace
    by Ray Reasoner"

I am thinkin of getting it between my shoulder blades below the neck line (where it can't be seen when wearing a shirt (work reasons))

I suppose I wouldn't want to be any bigger (width and length) than a standard DVD case.

Since I've never had one done before I was just wondering the following:

Can I print a copy of that picture and bring to a tattooist for him/her to draw. (I know that particular site has stencils of each tattoo but I might want to hae it smaller than what is being offered on the site.) or do tattooists generally work off there own in house stencils.

Would you have any idea of the cost (seems like a lot of detail in the picture)? It would be just black (maybe with various shading. pretty much exactly whats in the pic.

Would you have an idea of the approx time it would take to do this one.

I live in wexford. would you have any recommendations for a reliable/competent tattooist to do this kind of work?

Sorry for all the questions.

Your help is much appreciated though.

cheers

IamJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

In order to print that I imagine you will have to buy it from the owners of the site (as that is the basic structure of their business). I'd say they'd email the image to whatever address you provide then you can print it to whatever scale you want.
    The tattooist will work off of whatever you provide, they'll just make a stencil from that. I would be of the opinion that you use this cherub/ cross image as a reference point and get the artist to draw something original for you.

A tattoo of this kind would probably take 3-4 hours and try not to go smaller than the dvd case as the smaller the tattoo the less detail you'll get.
    Finally, have a look in the artist portfolios thread and go to the artist that is the best for this style and not your local artist because he's easiest to get to, thats how you end up regretting the tattoos you have in later life, well thats one of the ways anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭I_am_Jebus

thanks for the advice.

Yep I bought it €9.99 they give you the image as it is presented and then also a stencil. they also allow you to size it, resize it etc... great. I don't think I can post it here because I think it's copyrighted?

Would it normally be the case that the artist would do the drawing exactly as shown or put his on influence on it. The reason I ask is that the stencil copy given is obviously literally the outline of the cross and the angels etc... and there is no shading or filling of the details?

I printed it off (stencil and pic) in a 6" (long) and 4"(wide) size. looks pretty detailed and I would be happy with that size. Would the tattooist be able to complete this in one sitting or would it take multiples?

Thanks

IamJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

It's totally up to you afaik. Depends on how well you get on with the outline. If you handle the outline ok and the artist has enough time, you could do it in one go.

It's a lovely piece, please do let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I_am_Jebus wrote: »

Would it normally be the case that the artist would do the drawing exactly as shown or put his on influence on it. The reason I ask is that the stencil copy given is obviously literally the outline of the cross and the angels etc... and there is no shading or filling of the details?

I printed it off (stencil and pic) in a 6" (long) and 4"(wide) size. looks pretty detailed and I would be happy with that size. Would the tattooist be able to complete this in one sitting or would it take multiples?

The artist will do an exact copy if thats what you desire or they'll put their own spin on it if you ask (though in my experience artists in Dublin are quite reluctant to go for it on their own for some reason). The stencil is just a guide for the artist he/she will be able to tell where it is appropriate to shade.
    It's possible to do it in one sitting, it'll probably take around 4 hours.

It's totally up to you afaik. Depends on how well you get on with the outline. If you handle the outline ok and the artist has enough time, you could do it in one go.

It's a lovely piece, please do let us know how you get on!

thanks for that... handle the outline? Yikes, sounds like it's gonna hurt ha ha

• Advertisement

Diceicle wrote: »
    The artist will do an exact copy if thats what you desire or they'll put their own spin on it if you ask (though in my experience artists in Dublin are quite reluctant to go for it on their own for some reason). The stencil is just a guide for the artist he/she will be able to tell where it is appropriate to shade.
    It's possible to do it in one sitting, it'll probably take around 4 hours.

cool thanks a million for all the info.

would you reckon €350 - 400 would be about right cost wise?

Advertisement